Help please - External HDD problem

Edit My Images
No
I recently bought an LEXi (IDE-USB) enclosure for an old (2000) 20Gb Maxtor IDE drive. The drive powers up and is recognized in disk manager, reporting its correct volume etc.

The problem occurs when I try to intialize the drive, all I get is an error message. I have checked the jumper positions on the HDD and it is set for Master as per the enclosure manufacturers instructions. I get the same result both on my PC and Toshiba laptop both running XP home SP3.

There are a number of old pictures on this drive from my first point and shoot camera that I would like to recover, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If its only the pics you want, I would be inclined to forget the enclosure and hook it up direct to IDE, take the pics off and scrap the drive, for 20gb its not worth the hassle.

A further thought, depending on the OS you are using, is to how the drive is formatted, i.e. Fat 16 (thinking this because of its size), FAT 32, NTFS etc. If this turns out to be the case, you can actually format the drive and recover the files using one of the proprietary file recovery programs. I could let you have one is you require it.

What is the error message?

puzzled as to why you want to initialise the drive ? as that will wipe the contents ? all you need to do is give it a drive letter in disk management and it should be recognised and available to read from ? specially as you say disk management recognises the correct size etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone, as iant suggested I removed the drive from the enclosure and hooked it up in an older machine that a friend has kicking around and we removed the files that way quite easily.

Thanks again :)

Back