Help please, what model Rolleiflex is this?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I discovered this rolleiflex whilst helping mum clear out her loft (a never ending job it would seem). It belonged to either Great Aunt Bea or to a photographer my parents knew who gave it to them when he moved abroad (we need to find the other one to identify whos is whos).
Anyway back on topic, I'm interested to know a little more about it. Its serial number is 1026373 which i believe dates it to around the early 40s and it would be an automat model 2,3 or 4.
DSC01838.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01844.jpg

DSC01845.jpg

DSC01847.jpg

I quite fancy getting the camera working again and was wondering what people suggest; service or just stick some film in and see what happens? With regards service i have read about Newton Ellis, Brian Mickleboro and Sendean in London, any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Almost certainly an Automat, with a Tessar. A fine camera. Take a closer look through the lenses - at least from here on the picture, the taking lens in particular (the one at the bottom) looks pretty gungy - or is that just the picture? Mechanically they were supremely well built, you might actually be okay to run a film through it.

Heard good things about the first two, and they are both quite Rollei orientated - I'd avoid Sendean, they are overpriced (if you are going to pay through the nose, send it to someone who is renowned for Rollei work!) all things considered.

Also, I don't know if it's just the picture but in the second image the Rollei is leaning forwards. This is often because the feet/bottom part of the hinged case are bent inwards, and often because the camera has been dropped. Whilst they were tough, this can cause the lenses to become out of alignment and would most likely require some work to correct.

Looks like an Automat, I have been unable to find one with that two pin socket for a positive ID

Back