Help please!

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a question and sorry if this sounds stupid,lol. This is to the administrators who run this site once again. What right being the owners of a web site do you have, as far as who can join your site and who cannot? It was my understanding that being on the web anyone can join, or do you have the right to simply pick and choose whom you want on your site? Is that legal? I won't go into detail right now but if you could answer that for me it would be alot of help. :D Has nothing to do with this site obviously, just one I visit regularly, and tried to become a member.
Thank you , Jewel.

As administer and owner I can decide who is and isn't allowed period. Unfortunately as the site owner pays for hosting, development and running costs they can decide who gets the benefit of its use. It is that simple.

The Photography Forums have a completely open policy here and everybody is welcome to visit, join and use our site fully providing they stay within our few guidelines and don’t cause trouble deliberately. We don’t mind if they belong to other sites, work for them, own them or are completely new to photography or the internet. Hopefully we will never have to ban anyone.

Your questions seems to hint that you have been refused membership elsewhere for some reason, if the site owner or people that he/she has put in control of it has taken that decision (rightly or wrongly) then apart from appealing to them personally and hoping that they change their minds, there is nothing legally you can do. If however they have wrongly accused you of something publicly, you may have some legal recourse but not necessarily to get access to their site.

Yes Steve I was refused membership elsewhere. The thing I don't understand is if I have done absolutely nothing wrong how can they refuse my membership? I completely understand if someone is not behaving in an orderly fashion and just trying to cause trouble on a site. Being a "PR" about things and isn't there for the same reasons every one else is, which would be photography in this case. The site is also very well established, 25,000 members worldwide I think. There should have to be a reason to ban someone from a site, not just because. That doesn't seem like a good enough answer to me. :(
Jewel.

Apologies for butting in, since I'm not involved in running these forums. As Steve and others know, I am a mod on another forum, and the only people who get banned are the spammers who join just to promote their products etc. I'm very surprised that you've been refused membership somewhere else. Most forums are only too pleased to welcome new members, especially those who make a regular contribution as you do here.

As Steve has said, forums are not democratic, and ultimately it is up to the owner/administrator to make the rules and decide who is eligible for membership. The more enlightened owners realise that there is nothing to be gained by being unduly authoritarian, and absolutely nothing by denying membership to people without good reason.

Steve said:
As administer and owner I can decide who is and isn't allowed period. Unfortunately as the site owner pays for hosting, development and running costs they can decide who gets the benefit of its use. It is that simple.
That's absolutely spot on. In fact it applies everywhere - shopkeepers have no obligation to serve you and can choose to sell their goods to who they wish. If they refuse to serve you on the grounds of race, colour or creed, then it's a different matter

jewel said:
Yes Steve I was refused membership elsewhere. The thing I don't understand is if I have done absolutely nothing wrong how can they refuse my membership? .

I don't want you to mention their site name or what it deals with at all on here as we may then be brought into any future disagreements but it could quite simply be a case of mistaken identity. As you have said they has a very large user base, with that brings several issues. One is that out of that many people there will be/have been some trouble makers which they will have had to deal with (usually by banning them) If one of those had a similar profile or uses the same IP as yourself, the admin may believe you to be them and thus will not allow you to register. It will take a huge amount of work and time to maintain their site and so they will probably be less inclined to spend time discussing the issue with you as they probably can't spare it.

The bottom line is that after you have contacted the head guy/lady and explained your situation politely, if they stand their ground then you will have to walk away and regard it at their loss not yours. You have no other recourse unfortunately.

Sounds like an IP ban issue to me, AOL for example use the same ip for loads of people, so you could be banned along with 300 others just because you are on a particular IP address..just because people run websites, it doesnt mean they know about IP addresses and banning!

Hey Steve, no worries of me saying any names. That isn't the issue, I know. It's their loss anyway!!!LOL For whatever the reason, I have been banned for the first time in my life,lol [smilie=f: Matty is probably right, maybe it's just an IP thing, oh well. There's alot out there on the world wide web! Thanks for all the reply's guys.
Jewel :D

I hope it's not my board that has banned you (we have approaching 25,000). Why not contact admin at the site (should be accessible to non-members) and enquire. As has been said, they may have done an i.p. ban on someone else that shares your i.p address... but they should've checked to see how many share your i.p. and if it's a busy one, not pushed the button. I.P. banning isn't worth the effort for a big board these days... besides you can use a proxy server and get around things.

The site owner can do as he likes...it's effectively his house and he can refuse entry to anyone.

Andy

too bad to hear this, Jewel.

Well, I'm just going to write a very short (i will try too) experience as an admin/co-owner in another forum and car club, in México, and about Renault Clio cars. When we started, we were open to all the people who wants to join in, we start to grow very fast, and when we have almost a year online we start to have some problems between some members, and in almost most of the cases talking, al the people get understood.

This problem with a few guys, just started to cause serius problems in the forum, talking about security matters, not on internet, but in real life. Why? We make a lot of meetings, race days, road trips to some places here in México, so we start to have real problems, not only web discussions and agressions in the forum with this guys. So thats when we have to sit an talk about what we have to do. So we ban this user (searching that his ip, isn't in use by another user, etc). We never heard about him again, he was just a guy with nothing to do than cause problems to all users.

Then, 6 months later, we have another off-forum problem, but some peolple related it with the forum, this was a Stolen car. We actually don't know it this is true or not, but what we can do? The users want like a forum, but, at the same time a club, and a same time a lot of security being here. They want to feel free to post pictures of they cars, pictures of the meetings (this include family), etc. So, we started to think that we were an open book, everyone can know where are we going to meet, where are we going to go and when, what car has everyone, and in some cases all the equipment it has. After a few months in getting feedback from the users, from other forums, we (admins, mods and users) decide to close the forum, but first we make a big search into the members, so we only keep the active ones, and the know ones. The ones that never post, and never answer an MP or email, we just send them 3 mails with the warning of deletion.

Then we only accept new members by recomendation, and if a new member wants to join, we ask a lot of personal data so we can keep a record, and we can know that all the users will be safe and happy in the Forum/Club.

Now after a little more than 2 years we have almost 850 users, in all the country and a few ones in other countrys. ALL OF THEM VERY HAPPY, and no trouble at all.

This is my experience, may be will sound extreme to more than one, but, its what happend to us.

So, answering to Jewel, an Admin/owner can do anything in its forum, but, what he do, will affect all users, thats why, you have to ask and do things to the benefit of all, and not only for you. And I'm sure your case is wrongly banned ip.

But, forums on the internet are a lot. Good ones, just a few.

Take care all, sorry for the long post.

Its all good fun this forum thing!

EosD said:

Tell me about it ! i used to moderate a car forum and that got totally out of hand !

Thats why im not doing it anymore !

Mind you i cant imagine a photography forum having the same issues as car ones, they dont seem to attract the same small p***s (am sure you can work that out ;) ) issues that car forums can !

Moderation is easy, but time consuming ona good site, its a pain in the a**e and really time consuming on a bad one !

Ian
ex moderator ! lol

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than moderate on a car forum! :shock:

that is quality,,,,we all know more than a few of those characters...

IanC_UK said:
EosD said:

Tell me about it ! i used to moderate a car forum and that got totally out of hand !

Thats why im not doing it anymore !

Mind you i cant imagine a photography forum having the same issues as car ones, they dont seem to attract the same small p***s (am sure you can work that out ;) ) issues that car forums can !

Moderation is easy, but time consuming ona good site, its a pain in the a**e and really time consuming on a bad one !

Ian
ex moderator ! lol

It's tough life for mods, they are the ones who face the wrath of the members when anything goes wrong ... and moderators are generally not paid but do it out of love (ours are on for a nice little bonus though)
From my experience all forums, even the most placid of pastimes, have similar problems when they get to a certain size.

Andy

Yeah site i used to moderate went from 15 users to several thousand, we increased the number of moderators, then the attacks on the moderators began when items got deleted or moved, then it really got out of hand ! lol

IanC_UK said:
Yeah site i used to moderate went from 15 users to several thousand, we increased the number of moderators, then the attacks on the moderators began when items got deleted or moved, then it really got out of hand ! lol

You werent a mod on the same one as me were you???? All sounds very familiar!
Im still a mod on another Car forum, we flushed the rubbish a long time ago, we have the occasional dodgy one now and again, but most of the lame ass ones went a long time ago!

EosD said:
IanC_UK said:

You werent a mod on the same one as me were you???? All sounds very familiar!
Im still a mod on another Car forum, we flushed the rubbish a long time ago, we have the occasional dodgy one now and again, but most of the lame ass ones went a long time ago!

PM'd you ! lol

I've modded on several forums with a spread of main topics.

i keep saying never again............ :LOL:

At least here everyones a grown up nd I can get away with slacking the night away while EosD does all the work :wink:

digitalfailure said:

At least here everyones a grown up nd I can get away with slacking the night away while EosD does all the work :wink:

I like it here, the criticism is constructive ! lol

Everyone is friendly even when saying there is something they dont like about a pic ! ;)

digitalfailure said:

thanks DF, thats why you is Forum Slacker

digitalfailure said:
And happy to be of assistance :)

hehe....thanks! :?

all this is why I really like this forum! It's kind a relaxation for me... come here and read/write, and leave back the car forum jejeje

Back