Help please

Name
ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok guys, just got a Yashica 635 off bay of evil.
Now this is my first TLR, it's a bit tatty, but seems useable.

My problem is getting the empty spool in.
I pull the dial in the left but it still seems to obstruct the empty spool. I don't want to force it, and would be concerned I won't be able to get it out once it has the film on it.

Are there different sizes of spools?
This is from a Ilford 120

I've tried watching some video but can't see where I am going wrong, help me ob1kenobee, your my only hope

Ok, I dont have a Yashica to hand but I do have a Rolleicord, should be pretty much the same process.

Open the back, obvious :D

I usually have the lens on the table topso the empty reel can go in at the top.

Take the empty reel and place it on the cog on the right hand side, it should only go on one way as the cog thing has a protrusion the same shape as the hole in the spindle.

Pull out the knob on the left hand side, this should allow you to lower the LHS of the spindle into the camera, let go of the LHS knob and wiggle the spindle to make sure it is attached.

Simples.

From memory 120 and 620 spools look VERY similar, but are slightly different - spool diameter and overall length IIRC.

You may be trying to use the incorrect spool.

Someone with a better memory than me will be along soon with more specific advice

Ok, I dont have a Yashica to hand but I do have a Rolleicord, should be pretty much the same process.

Open the back, obvious :D

I usually have the lens on the table topso the empty reel can go in at the top.

Take the empty reel and place it on the cog on the right hand side, it should only go on one way as the cog thing has a protrusion the same shape as the hole in the spindle.

Pull out the knob on the left hand side, this should allow you to lower the LHS of the spindle into the camera, let go of the LHS knob and wiggle the spindle to make sure it is attached.

Simples.

The left hand spindle doesn't seem to move enough out of the way, it protrudes slightly stopping the spool from being lowered into position.

The left hand spindle doesn't seem to move enough out of the way, it protrudes slightly stopping the spool from being lowered into position.

That seems to be the problem, I have had some where it is a bit difficult to pull out the spindle. Give it a wiggle it should move out.

@Mr Badger might be able to help. I saw in another thread that he has a 635.

Hello! Yes, it's a bit of a tight fit to load the take-up spool on my 1964 635; however, do make sure it's a 120 spool you're trying to fit! If so, then you could try the following:

Place the camera face (lenses) down on something with a bit of softness and 'give' to protect it (I use a mouse mat), with the top of the camera pointing away from you.

With the camera lying face down, open the back and then turn the 120 film winding knob (top right hand side nearest the back, and which has the ASA DIN numbers on it) until the spool drive key is in the vertical position (so its ends are pointing at the front and back of the camera).

Line the slot in the side of the plastic spool up with the winder drive key so that it fits as snugly as it can onto the key, then pull out the left hand knob marked '35mm Film Only' and gently coax the spool past the spigot (if it's still protruding slightly). With a bit of jiggling and gentle coaxing it should go into place. Once it does, then guide the plastic spool so the metal spigot pops into the centre hole - this can also take a bit of jiggling till you get used to it. The spool should now be in place and the left hand knob should have gone back to more or less fit against the side of the camera.

If this doesn't work try taking the plastic spool out again, give it a quarter turn, and see if it will slot into place any better in that position. I hope this works for you. (y) I find it's a bit easier to remove the exposed film at the end, as the mechanism is spring loaded and this partially pops the spool up once the left hand knob is pulled out.

A couple of things to beware of on the 635: Always make sure it's set to the 'X' flash sync setting. If it's set to the 'M' setting and someone tries to use the self timer it will jam the shutter permanently. I think the best bet is not to use the self timer, they're usually the first part of the shutter mechanism to run slow or stop completely so I don't think it's worth the risk on an old camera.

Secondly, when using 120 film, make sure the little knob marked 'R' is pulled out and given quarter of a turn to keep it in the 'out' position (see instruction book). It's part of the 35mm film mechanism and if left 'in' it protrudes into the interior of the film chamber and can appear as a shadow at the edge your photos. I hope this info is useful, best of luck and let us know how you go on. :)

Hello! Yes, it's a bit of a tight fit to load the take-up spool on my 1964 635; however, do make sure it's a 120 spool you're trying to fit! If so, then you could try the following:

Place the camera face (lenses) down on something with a bit of softness and 'give' to protect it (I use a mouse mat), with the top of the camera pointing away from you.

With the camera lying face down, open the back and then turn the 120 film winding knob (top right hand side nearest the back, and which has the ASA DIN numbers on it) until the spool drive key is in the vertical position (so its ends are pointing at the front and back of the camera).

Line the slot in the side of the plastic spool up with the winder drive key so that it fits as snugly as it can onto the key, then pull out the left hand knob marked '35mm Film Only' and gently coax the spool past the spigot (if it's still protruding slightly). With a bit of jiggling and gentle coaxing it should go into place. Once it does, then guide the plastic spool so the metal spigot pops into the centre hole - this can also take a bit of jiggling till you get used to it. The spool should now be in place and the left hand knob should have gone back to more or less fit against the side of the camera.

If this doesn't work try taking the plastic spool out again, give it a quarter turn, and see if it will slot into place any better in that position. I hope this works for you. (y) I find it's a bit easier to remove the exposed film at the end, as the mechanism is spring loaded and this partially pops the spool up once the left hand knob is pulled out.

A couple of things to beware of on the 635: Always make sure it's set to the 'X' flash sync setting. If it's set to the 'M' setting and someone tries to use the self timer it will jam the shutter permanently. I think the best bet is not to use the self timer, they're usually the first part of the shutter mechanism to run slow or stop completely so I don't think it's worth the risk on an old camera.

Secondly, when using 120 film, make sure the little knob marked 'R' is pulled out and given quarter of a turn to keep it in the 'out' position (see instruction book). It's part of the 35mm film mechanism and if left 'in' it protrudes into the interior of the film chamber and can appear as a shadow at the edge your photos. I hope this info is useful, best of luck and let us know how you go on. :)

Thanks everyone, managed it Mr Badger.
Bloody fiddly, but got the bugger in eventually.
Also had the hood off and glass out to clean parts and mirror, very mucky.
Now to pop a film in and try out, speeds seem ok (slow/sticky on slow speeds)

Perhaps there's a foreign object in there.

French,? German?, Spanish ?, Italien??:thinking:

Please be precise Simon, we have standards to upkeep in this section of the forum,:p

As if it's not enough having to keep the other muppets guys in line:rolleyes::D:D

Glad you got it sorted. The 635 was designed for the old-fashioned metal spools which must be a good 2 or 3 mm shorter than the thicker modern plastic ones, so what would have been a 'tailored fit' is probably now a tight squeeze! This seems to vary from camera to camera though, as the spool easily drops into place in the damaged 1965 635 I bought to use for spares, and I can't remember struggling too much with the others I've used either.

Anyway, you should be able to take some photos now. I find it's best to keep my back to the sun with the 635 as they seem a bit prone to veiling lens flare. From what I've read, this seems to come from light bouncing around inside the film chamber rather than the type that can be avoided by the use of a lens hood, which would explain what I've experienced. I think there's a thread about this on the Yashica 635 group on Flickr, and I seem to remember that some people have fitted mat black flocking to the walls of their camera's film chamber to cure this, which I suppose is a possibility if the camera isn't being kept in original condition as a collector's item.

You'll also be able to use the swirly bokeh the Yashikor lens gives when the aperture is wide open. An example of this can be seen in a photo I posted on here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/steam-punk-weekend-aberystwyth.686320/

Best of luck and don't forget to share some of the photos you take with it. (y)

Last edited:
Back