Help wanted,, wanted cam for car pics..

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys i am after a camera that will take good quality pics, i will be selling and advertising cars on ebay etc,, i currently have digital camera which i bought from comet but the quality is not very good.. I will also be selling alot of bathroom products on ebay so will need something good but dont want to be paying big ££££, I have no knowedge about cameras, what would you guys recommend and suggest,,

thanks
jibby

Go to nearest Jessops shop and try other model like Nikon d3200
Canon 1100d
And also check sony models

Go to nearest Jessops shop and try other model like Nikon d3200
Canon 1100d
And also check sony models

What if i was to buy one of this site for about 400 but a used one will it not be greater spec to a new one?? i believe it all goes down to the lens you use..

Well you going to need to know how to use the camera, you may want to consider a decent bridge camera, as to get the best out of a DSLR takes a little more knowlege

Whats the diffrence between the two then?

A bridge camera has many of the features of a DSLR, however it is slightly more user friendly, without sounding too much of a snob, but the camera is only part of the equation you could have a £20,000 Hassleblad but if you don't know how to use it you'll get much better results from a £100 point and shoot, which is why I think that you would be better off with a bridge camera you'll get very good results at least compare to a consumer grade DSLR

I tottaly understand your point, thanks or the advise pals, you have any pics samples of a bridge camera?? would like to see the quailty

Maybe this is a silly question but

you said you bought a digital camera from Comet - what actually did you buy ?

I mean maker and model .

This may help the clever folk here to help you better

any digital SLR from the last 4 years will give you high quality images

Hi guys i am after a camera that will take good quality pics, i will be selling and advertising cars on ebay etc,, i currently have digital camera which i bought from comet but the quality is not very good.. I will also be selling alot of bathroom products on ebay so will need something good but dont want to be paying big ££££, I have no knowedge about cameras, what would you guys recommend and suggest,,

thanks
jibby

What camera did you buy from Comet? Maybe we can help you get the most out of it whilst your deciding on the upgrade.
Might be able to work out what would be the best upgrade option.

I just purchased a Canon EOS 1100d with 18-55mm lens from Argos for about £329, is really good for beginners! Although I hear the Nikon guide is good with new users of DSLR. But on the Canon 1100d it does have it's own sort of guide mode where it explains settings to you. For example if you put the selection over 400 ISO, it will tell you what scenario that is best for.

But really I think you are looking for a Canon EOS 1100D or a Nikon D3XXX.

If you're looking for saving money, have you considered a bridge camera which costs about £100 and yet take the same quality shots as a DSLR? (Well, that's what it says on the box).

Good luck!

So what you currently have is a simple PAS, for what you want a bridge camera will work for you I'm sure however if you want to learn more about photography then a consumer DSLR may be the right move for you (y) as it will allow you to take full control of your photography, but from what you've outlined previously in the thread I'm sure that a bridge would be a solid camera for your uses (y)

Matt

So what you currently have is a simple PAS, for what you want a bridge camera will work for you I'm sure however if you want to learn more about photography then a consumer DSLR may be the right move for you (y) as it will allow you to take full control of your photography, but from what you've outlined previously in the thread I'm sure that a bridge would be a solid camera for your uses (y)

Matt

I really like the quailty of the nikon d3200, i think it will be ideal for taking classic car pictures with shiny chrome work detailed,

To be honest you do not need a DSLR for autotrader. Working in a dealership we have between 50-75 cars all advertised on numerous sites including autotrader and all of our shots are taken on a £100 compact at the lowest resolution to speed up the upload speeds.

A DSLR is overkill and a waste I funds if that is all it is going to be used for :)

To be honest you do not need a DSLR for autotrader. Working in a dealership we have between 50-75 cars all advertised on numerous sites including autotrader and all of our shots are taken on a £100 compact at the lowest resolution to speed up the upload speeds.

A DSLR is overkill and a waste I funds if that is all it is going to be used for :)

This^
But you do need to understand the limitations of the kit. For instance, no on camera flash use. And for interior bathroom shots you want something that'll give better high ISO results, or a tripod. which seems like a faff but then you get out what you put in.

You can't just buy high quality results, without sounding snooty, I'd get better pictures with your camera than you would with my £1000 dslr and bag full of lenses. But that's down to 30 years experience and an understanding of what I'm doing. So I'd suggest some practice and posting your results here for help to make them better.

I better pologise lol, tired last night and read the cars on autotrader so my post is preet much irrelevant lol :)

You can't put that high a res pic on ebay though can you, so I think the point still stands. At that point the picture is a tempter, usually you need to see the car in the flesh.

You can't put that high a res pic on ebay though can you, so I think the point still stands. At that point the picture is a tempter, usually you need to see the car in the flesh.

Anyone taken any car pictures they can show me, would love to see some diffrence in styles and quality of cameras...

ra28gt said:

Of course the camera is, but are you?

It's pointless spending loads of money on something you have no idea how to use. You will not get photos like that without some knowledge of what you are doing, no matter what camera you use.

Of course the camera is, but are you?

It's pointless spending loads of money on something you have no idea how to use. You will not get photos like that without some knowledge of what you are doing, no matter what camera you use.

Ok how much is there to learn on these cams.. do you just pick up ideas as you go along??

This is the kind of pictures i want the cam to take is the nikon d3100 smart enuf to take shots like this?

Sure, ignore all the other stuff we said, great pictures like this are achieved just by buying a camera. There's no lighting or compositional skill involved at all.

It takes no knowledge or skill, just buy an expensive camera and point it at something that you know looks nice. Instant great photo:wacky:

Ok how much is there to learn on these cams.. do you just pick up ideas as you go along??

I'd say it's close to playing a musical instrument, a couple of hours intensive playing around and you get the basics, being awesome takes thousands of hours practice. I wouldn't describe myself as good after nearly thirty years.

Ideas and inspiration are things you're either born with or develop from looking at loads of other photographers work.

ra28gt said:

Well do you know what aperture is? What about ISO, shutter speed, white balance, composition? Do you know how to control light, reduce reflections?

Yes there is a huge amount to learn.

It's a bit like track racing a 1967 Mustang GT500E. Anyone can drive one and turn in a lap, but to get anywhere near the best out of it will take hours of practice.

Well do you know what aperture is? What about ISO, shutter speed, white balance, composition? Do you know how to control light, reduce reflections?

:shake::shake::shake::shake:

ra28gt said:

? Valid questions. If you don't know the answers, you won't get anything like the shots you posted with a DSLR.

Last edited:
TCR4x4 said:
? Valid questions. If you don't know the answers, you won't get anything like the shots you posted with a DSLR.

And that's where TP comes in ;)

To the op, forget about bridge cameras, they're only a step above what you already have. Take a trip along to Jessops or whatever and try the entry-level dslrs from Nikon or Canon, either with produce decent, usable shots, even in Auto mode and ignore anyone who says you can't take good pics with one without decades of experience.

The Talk Basics section is a mine of useful information for the new photographer, read the posts, ask questions, take some pictures and upload them for advice on how to improve and you'll soon be taking great pics (y)

I think as has been said you will probably get all you need from a good point and shoot or a bridge camera like the Sony nx-5.

I still new to photography and having had my camera for about 18 months its still takes me time to get the shot I am after, often my wife will take a snap with her point and shoot and the image turns out better because the camera is fairly good at working out what the picture is and it's fairly fool proof.

I have deleted hundreds of photos because it's been over or underexposed or out if focus etc.

Learning how to get the best out of a dslr takes patience and practice, unless you are willing to put in the effort go for something more hassle free.

Then the important question is:
Are you willing to learn? If it means months of reading and practicing?

If not? No new camera will improve your results.

Spoony said:
I think as has been said you will probably get all you need from a good point and shoot or a bridge camera like the Sony nx-5.

The Sony NX-5 is a video camera......

010710leitner1.jpg

:shrug:

Flash In The Pan said:
The Sony NX-5 is a video camera......

:shrug:

Ha, so it is.

What I meant was Sony nex-5 or something similar!

Last edited:
Unless you specifically want to use your photographs to differentiate your cars from those of other sellers pretty much any camera will do. Also images look pretty poor on Autotrader

I'd stick with what you have, use the camera on a tripod and spend time on prepping the car and on choosing a location & time of day to shoot

The photos you used as examples are nice in their own way but don't sell the car. Buyers don't care about that kind of shot, they want to compare your car with others for sale which means giving them the basics - colour, wheels, interior, options

Taking good car photographs is incredibly time-consuming and most traders don't have the time or inclination to do it

Nick Froome

Last edited:
Back