Beginner Help with choosing 4k Camcorder

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on purchasing a 4k camcorder with a view finder to replace my Panasonic HDC-HS300. I specified a view finder as I am recording remote control airplanes from the ground and need something that tracks fast moving objects well. I have a maximum budget of around £600.

I was looking at the Panasonic HC-VXF990EBk as an option with no real idea if this would do the job well?

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
If I remember the Panasonic HC-VXF990EBk the hotshoe for an extrnl microphone is under a flap on top of the camcorder. Now wind noise let alone sound quality has a bad effect blowing across the built in microphone. So to get a decent sound recording I would suggest using an extrnl microphone. OOOOH wait a mo with the extrnl microphone on top the hotshoe flap waves about hitting the mic or camcorder which the mic picks up, I had this with a different camcorder and in the end had to use blue tack and squeeze betweem flap and mic.
with an extrnl mic on top the audio cable needs to be kept well clear as that can be heard on the recording.

In the end I chose the Panasonic HC-X1500 which may cost a bit more but well worth it in my opinion. Just alone having built in ND filters let alone everything else available in the vast menu is mind blowing.

Anyway if your going the 4k route also consider editing suites, many don't do 4K the best one I have found is "wondershare filmora 11" s go take a look. Also a 4k monitor makes all the difference

HC-X1500 with extra handle behind handle. OK Panasonic HX-X1500 maybe a bit outside your price bracket at the moment but save for a short time with P/X and then take another look

P1051196.JPG

took it on our last holiday norway Iceland etc and the zoom well check for yourself ( in izoom not digital it can do both) 32x optical zoom

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO492YO6NZg
in the group I was with this was the only camera/camcorder that managed to photograph Puffins out to sea. That was our cruise liner at the start

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOohLTqNJNI&t=5s

In replay one can grab a still photo from a frame

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed response.Amazing quality zoom in those shots. Is there any other camcorder you could recommend in a slightly lower price bracket achieving a similar result.

Again, any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry not in 4K .I had a Panasonic HC-X900M (not 4k) for about 9 years until eventually it was too costly to have repaired. then got a Sony FDR-AX53 but this camcorder left you with very little manual controls so P/x for the Panasonic HC-X1500.
One thing to be careful of is overheating in 4K ,the one I have has through ventilation to counter act that but best be aware. I got mine from here as it was the cheapest new I could find

https://hprestonmedia.co.uk/collect...th-wide-angle-25-mm-lens-and-24x-optical-zoom maybe the discount code will help a bit

other than that I think the one you are thinking of getting is the best option but again I would seriously consider the one I have it is a pro camcorder not a comsumer camcorder and that makes a huge difference
Can't talk about any other makes of camcorder as never owned but i would stick with panasonic.

Last edited:
Your help is much appreciated realspeed. I think I am going to wait as you have suggested and go for the HC- X1500 . Is there any specific settings within the camera that are a must when filming rc planes please ?

Have you used this camera much with a tripod, I only ask as I have a manfrotto tripod from a previous camera?

It looks like they have increased the price today on that link you sent above unfortunately.

Last edited:
Your help is much appreciated realspeed. I think I am going to wait as you have suggested and go for the HC- X1500 . Is there any specific settings within the camera that are a must when filming rc planes please ?

Have you used this camera much with a tripod, I only ask as I have a manfrotto tripod from a previous camera?

It looks like they have increased the price today on that link you sent above unfortunately.
your making the right decision it is a truly amazing camcorder and linked with a 4k monitor is like being there. . to play 4K free download with "wondershare Filmora 11"
I think this my be of some help as to what this camcorder cand do, its mind blowing to start with

link

It took me quite a time to get my head around it or as much as i wanted. not into broadcasting etc so don't use that also have very very slow internet which doen't help. As for settings take your pick far too many to mentikon.
What I would strongly suggest is getting one of these

so much easier than a finger on the touch screen and more direct

as for settings the zoom speed is adjustable + camera-- sw mode- H zoom speed .

filming anything at speed depends on distance from camcorder to object

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoMNT1OM5-w

Last edited:
P1051208.JPG

The setup I use
1 = Azden SMX-30v (stereo and directional all in one via a dial on the back)
2- Panasonic camcorder handle VW-HU1
3= Panasonic HC-X1500
4= manfrotto Befree live tripod (built in ball head saves legs ajusting for levelling)
5= Remote control on handle for on/off and controlling zoom only
earphones plug into back of camcorder

Last edited:
Have you considered the Panasonic FZ2000
Great zoom range and superb 4k picture quality. Mic input and headphone output, and ibis.

Have you considered the Panasonic FZ2000
Great zoom range and superb 4k picture quality. Mic input and headphone output, and ibis.
Paul
the question actually asked about camcorders not bridge cameras

Not a bad suggestion if he wanted to go down the bridge camera route but what would concern me is battery life ( HC-X1500 claims 6 hrs) also that lens shooting out so far and appears to have only a single SD card slot, no dual recording backup on a second SD card. If it will only take 350 stills it doesn't bode well for the battery doing videos. Last thing i would want is a battery dying in the middle of a shoot. There is also some doubt if in auto mode the ND built in settings are disconnected. no choice of optical or digital zoom either. Again over heating If shooting in 4k as there is no decent ventilation I could see on it. Of course you get what you pay for and may well suit , but not for me

I always say research- research and research first and find out if does it do everything you expect. I did have a look at that and the 2200 version. I am not saying it is a bad option,far from it but in the end it is still a BRIDGE CAMERA.

this of course is my own personal; opinion others may think differently but I still recon the Panasonic HX-X1500 is about the best in the price bracket. Having that purpose built handle as well what can one say apart from a great addition for carrying and control while shooting video

Last edited:
Many thanks with the help with this. I was wondering if the Canon LEGRIA HF G50 Camcorder is of a similar standard to the Panasonic HC-X1500 for filming remote control aircraft.

Any help is much appreciated.

Back