Help with getting high quality / sharp print (screenshot, info included)

Edit My Images
Yes
I posted on this forum already this week but I think I am finding all the info about resolution, pixels, etc a bit overwhelming and I just can't get my head around it; I thought I understood it but my prints have come back soft/out of focus twice this week. I have been photographing as a hobby for years but this is my first time printing, and I really want to get it right. It's incredibly disappointing to be so happy with the image I see on my monitor, only to receive a poor looking print.

At this point I have no idea wether it is me doing something wrong, or wether it is the service I am using (Photobox.) I emailed them and they said that my first load of prints we processed with their auto adjustment, and that they will do the prints again without that feature. The re-prints also came back soft, not sharp at all and just really rubbish! They look exactly the same as the first prints.

I have uploaded a screenshot of my export settings in Lightroom. If you guys could tell me wether there is anything wrong with my export settings, or anything else that could be causing a poor print, I would be so grateful! I tried to upload the actual image but its too large so I've just copied down some of the file info after export.

Kind: JPEG image
Size: 9,964,108 bytes (10 MB on disk)
Dimensions: 3991 x 6002
Color space: RG
Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 11.50.27.png

Also, I noticed when I exported a 5x7 version of the same photo from Lightroom, the dimensions hardly differ. The dimensions after exporting at original size are 3991 x 6002, and the dimensions after exporting at 5x7 are 3991 × 5587 - is this right?

If you need any more info let me know!

Thanks in advance.

I don't see anything wrong, you are simply converting the image to a jpeg. The dimensions after export are correct.

Some printers if fed a file w/ too high of a DPI/PPI will crunch the file badly. I don't know of any that can handle more than 600DPI and some Noritsu's will cough if fed more than 240-300DPI. But that's only if the file is fed directly to the printer w/ no software in between, and I've never used a service that does that (at least not w/o special request). Your 5x7 is at almost 800PPI.

This is completely contrary to what I do and what I would typically recommend, but it might resolve your issue. At least it will rule out the DPI/Size possibility.
Resize the image to 5x7 at 240 PPI and apply some print sharpening to the file.
Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 8.38.43 AM.png

Verify that the exported image looks sharp/over-sharp on your computer before sending it...

Last edited:
I'd agree with Steven's approach. If you don't like the sharpness of the finished print if left to the printers, then you need to resize and apply output sharpening yourself [whilst telling them to leave the file alone before printing].

Can't see anything that would make prints un-sharp. I assume that the image is sharp in the first place. Have you viewed the image in question at 100% in Lightroom is it OK? One trick to try is to look "unsharp" image on your computer and see what it looks like. Not in Lightroom but in another application, even the default viewer on you PC would do. Is is soft or sharp. I would also try simply using the Lightroom preset "Burn Full Size JPEGS" and see if this makes a difference

@sk66 Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. I noticed you have ticked resize to fit 5x7, is this necessary even after changing aspect ratio to 5x7? Also, how do you know that my 5x7 is at 800PPI? I thought I exported resolution at 300PPI. Sorry if my questions seem a bit silly, this is all new to me.

Happy to (try and) run off a print for you from the original file and mail it 2nd class back - providing you're in the UK. Hopefully to determine whether it's the printer or the image. I can pull it into LR and try with/without output sharpening. Was it a 5x7 print?

If you're interested, PM me a download link, or I'll send you my email and you can wesendit.co.uk it (or whatever)

Although @Chappers makes a very good point.

I posted on this forum already this week but I think I am finding all the info about resolution, pixels, etc a bit overwhelming and I just can't get my head around it; I thought I understood it but my prints have come back soft/out of focus twice this week. I have been photographing as a hobby for years but this is my first time printing, and I really want to get it right. It's incredibly disappointing to be so happy with the image I see on my monitor, only to receive a poor looking print.
I find printing to be something that's now part of my photography. Holding a physical print I've made myself is almost as good as using an enlarger to make film prints. I empathise with you, so anything I can do to help - sing out.

@sk66 Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. I noticed you have ticked resize to fit 5x7, is this necessary even after changing aspect ratio to 5x7? Also, how do you know that my 5x7 is at 800PPI? I thought I exported resolution at 300PPI. Sorry if my questions seem a bit silly, this is all new to me.
It is necessary in order to get the PPI to a specific number. That "300 PPI" doesn't mean/do anything unless the image is resized to specific dimensions (in/cm). 3991÷ 5" = 798.2 PPI, 6002 ÷ 7" = 857.4 PPI. So it's not quite "5x7" aspect either, if it were both sides would divide out to the same PPI.
Be aware that if the image is not cropped to a 5x7 aspect that the resizing will compress/shrink one side more than the other.

Back