Help with home studio plans

Edit My Images
No
Hello

sorry guys but another newbie with studio setup questions :). I have read around and figured I need at least the kit below.

I have just moved up from a compact to an an entry level DSLR!. What I would like to do is shoot fashion products and achieve results like the following.

http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w324/MacAddict10/picsample.jpg

These will be used for a online fashion website. Here is my intended setup and kit:

- Camera: Sony A200 & Flash hot shoe adaptor (http://tinyurl.com/6e9dma)
- Lencarta 2 or 3 head kits - these come with 2 soft boxes.
- White muslin backdrop put on a existing curtain rail.

- Need to decide on what flash meter to get.

- Home space is awkward , you can see a floor plan here http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w324/MacAddict10/Document1.jpg

I am really worried this is too small, particularly for full body shots. My current thinking is that I wont need to light the background as its white and I want to achieve a greyish colour. Will this work ?

Will my setup allow me to achieve results like the above example photo ?

Many Thanks

I take it this will be your own website?

The 3-head kit will be a better buy for you because it includes barn doors, a snoot and a couple of honeycombs, as well as reflectors and other bits. AFAIK the 2 head kit doesn't.
I don't think the softboxes will be much use to you, the light bounce will be a real problem in that size of space so reflective umbrellas are likely to be more useful - and anyway, soft lighting definately isn't needed often for fashion shots.

In such a limited amount of space you WILL struggle to get creative lighting and my advice is to get some black 'reflectors' (should be called absorbers) or sheets of black card, or Cinefoil (AKA Blackwrap) to control the spread of unwanted light.

Yes, not lighting a white background will produce a grey colour. For your purpose, a white wall would be a better bet than a white muslin backdrop.

Your example photo isn't really anything to aspire to - if you want inspiration, look at the leading fashion magazines.

Your approach, thinking about the lighting first, is right - but be aware that there's a lot more to fashion photogaphy than lighting, you need the right models, careful prep of clothes, good retouching skills and the ability to direct as well as photography skills.

As for the flash meter, different people have different preferences but basically they all do the same job and produce very similar readings. For more money you get more features (e.g. Sekonic) or better build quality (e.g. Minolta). You might consider the Gossen flash meter 6, which is realiable and reasonably priced.

I'll post this answer on the other forum you've asked on too, in case it helps other people

Thanks Garry !

Yes its for my ecommerce website. What I am trying to achieve is actually a focus on the clothes instead of the model and currently decided to crop models heads ! The following example is from Diesel who make designer jeans http://tinyurl.com/5rv9ke. It will also be great to take creative shots for flyers/branding etc.

I actually should have shown my full space as in here http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w324/MacAddict10/Document1-1.jpg.
This divides the space in to A and B areas.

I previously assumed that area "A" was the better option because it offered more length but I wonder if area B is better or a mix of both by using area B to setup the background and I can shoot form area A ?

I guess I can drape black sheets to absorb the extra light. Are the more basic flash metres than the Sekonic? as these are £100sih

Many thanks

Use whatever space works best for you.
Small spaces make things more difficult and limit the range of lighting and the range of shots, but don't affect the quality of the finished result.

The Diesel shot isn't bad - it isn't good either but if that's the standard you want it should be quite easy to achieve.

It isn't just about the face with models, it's posture too. Bad posture doesn't sell clothes any more than bad lighting sells clothes, so it's well worth getting an experienced model - but make sure you get a fashion model not a glamour model - glamour models are often photographed by beginners and end up being 'taught' how to pose badly...

Have you tried * it out yet, because I got only faulty ones sent to me.:bang:

Portaflash studio light meter for sale on here today £20 if that helps. (not mine I may add)

If you can shoot tethered into a puter or laptop, then I'd pass on the flashmeter and put the money towards getting the lights and kit. As long as you can check the exposure over all parts of the shot, working off the screen will be quicker and every bit as accurate as a full range of readings.

Good input guys, thanks. Initially I would be happy with results like the Diesel shots.

Have you tried * it out yet, because I got only faulty ones sent to me.

you mean the Lencarta kit, no I have not ordered yet, Did you get it from ebay ?

If you can shoot tethered into a puter or laptop, then I'd pass on the flashmeter and put the money towards getting the lights and kit. As long as you can check the exposure over all parts of the shot, working off the screen will be quicker and every bit as accurate as a full range of readings.

that is the term for it ! (tethered), yep I would like to do this.

Back