Help with lens flares

Name
Brendan
Edit My Images
Yes
Lately i have been getting a lot of lens flares while shooting towards the sun. They are spoiling what otherwise are good images. I'm using a nikon d80 with a 18-70 lens and an attached hoya pro1d clear protective filter. Is it the filter that causes them? Is it just an issue with this lens or camera? I am also using a lens hood but i still keep getting flares. Is there any other way to avoid them and if not, what is the best way to get rid of them in PP?

I'd probably avoid using the UV filter if shooting directly towards the sun. In fact, I would avoid shooting towards the sun full stop unless the light is diffused by cloud.

Try NOT shooting towards the sun, you will get flare. If you need to shoot towards the sun then wait until the sun dips below the horizon or the sun is diffused by cloud. Using a graduated neutral density filter may help.

Removing flare in PP is usually achieved with the Clone Tool.

Hope this helps.

Stop using the filter, avoid shooting with the sun in pic, use a lens hood.

Simples.

Hi Brendan

As has been said, if you can, don't shoot towards the sun... Obviously this isn't always possible, so make sure you're using the lens hood and take precautions as appropriate. I would remove the filter as this will be causing / adding to your problems...

Thanks everyone, next time i will try to remove the filter to see if that helps.

Lens hood, clean lens, no filter, additional shading beyond the lens hood will help.

But the mmost important thing is... All of this is WYSIWYG, so be patient and experiment.

I still carry a piece of black card with me in my bag, sometimes the hood doesnt do the job so I use the card as a baffle or flag. Granted my camera is usually on a tripod so its easier. Take care poining your camera at the sun I believe u can fry your sensor if ur not careful so I read anyway.

Lately i have been getting a lot of lens flares while shooting towards the sun. They are spoiling what otherwise are good images. I'm using a nikon d80 with a 18-70 lens and an attached hoya pro1d clear protective filter. Is it the filter that causes them?

Yes.

I still carry a piece of black card with me in my bag... so I use the card as a baffle or flag.....Take care poining your camera at the sun I believe u can fry your sensor....

Meh, you rich folk with your black card. I use my hand :LOL:

As for frying the sensor, I'd prefer to worry about frying my retina ;)

Meh, you rich folk with your black card. I use my hand :LOL:

As for frying the sensor, I'd prefer to worry about frying my retina ;)

Nah bit of card out of a box of chocks I bought the mrs way back. Lol
Your right about your retinas though .

Back