Help with Studio Lights

Name
Jamie Palmer
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi There Everyone.

Well I want to get into doing some studio shots for like friends and family, with a white/black background, etc.

I have a Canon 400D with some lenses mentioned in my Signature, also I have 1x 430EX II

My question is would I be alrite with this set up, as it's relatively cheap compared to others, and will it give me the white background I'm looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200309404882

Or suggest another alternative for a similar price :)

Many Thanks
Jamie

I strongly advise against using this or any other continuous lighting kit for photos of people, unless you want to get a few 6" nails to keep your subjects still during the very long exposures that will be needed;)

Leaving the inadequate power aside, you'll be limited to using the softboxes supplied. Studio lighting is about far more than a couple of lights with softboxes and I think you'll grow out of this kit very quickly.

My advice is to go with flash. This short article may help.

Thanks for that link, it is very helpful
So you suggest buying another flash, or buying some of those flashguns?

That will be very expensive though.

Personally I'd advise buying studio flash, simply because it's easier, more reliable and has a far better range of accessories available for it than hotshoe flashes.

But that's only my opinion, a lot of people are happy with the results they get from off camera hotshoe flashes

Thanks for that.

Do you have a link to a decent studio flash by any chance :)

Thanks

I support Gary's post 100%.
I started off with hot lights, I soon gave them away after having to shoot at close to 1000iso, and giving my subjects an unwanted tan :)

If its studio shooting you want to get into then studio flash lighting is the way to go IMHO.
Many advantages, over hot-shoe flash units, just as hot-shoe flash will have its advantages on location.

Don't rush into a decision, there are plenty of good budget units available, you only have to trawl the internet, including here to see whats available.

Right I've been looking around now.
And I'm thinking I would be much better off having a new hotshoe flash (580EX)
And use them off camera with softboxes/umbrellas.

My question is, with the softboxes what fitting are they for Canon Speedlites, as a lot of them say Type S Fitment.

So if I was to buy another flash, what would I need to make a fairly good portrait set-up.

I currently have;
1x 3mx6m White Muslin
1x 3mx6m Black Muslin
1x Canon 430EX Speedlite.

I'm thinking something along these lines;
1x Canon 430EX (run wireless with a transmitter along with the other 430)
Softboxes
Umbrellas
Stands?

Right after looking at those website and that stable imaging, I have come to a final conclusion.

I am much better off with a studio flash set-up. I have seen the one on Stable Imaging, which is £199.99

3x180W Flash Lights
3x 50W Halogen Bulbs
2x 40x60cm Softboxes
3x Sprung Light Stands
1x Barndoor Set
1x Snoot with Honeycomb
1x Sync Cable
3x UK Power Cables
1x Padded Holdall.

What do you think of that? And will it achieve what I am looking for?

Many Thanks
Jamie

Back