Help with these cameras please!

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Being fairly new to film, my lovely father in law gave me his old cameras. One is a pretty looking rangefinder in great condition (aesthetically) petri 7s and the other is a trip 35

I literally have no idea about these cameras.

Any people here used them?

Thanks in advance

IMG_1487497941.484148.jpg

IMG_1487497952.185246.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Trip is very much a classic. Not a top of the range camera by any means but competent. The Petri is actually a much better class of beast altogether, a very nice lens and a well built piece of kit.

Trips are great. Easy to use and give reasonable results. Yours is a later one as it has the black shutter button.

Yep... Petri was a much underrated piece of kit!

Well the Trip is very much a classic. Not a top of the range camera by any means but competent. The Petri is actually a much better class of beast altogether, a very nice lens and a well built piece of kit.

I was very excited when the FIL brought out the petri!

Never used a rangefinder before but I'm looking forward to running a roll of film through it.

Anybody here used a petri before?

I had a Petri 7, I only ran one roll of film through it and it worked fine, I think there are a couple of red/green arrows in the viewfinder that you use for metering.
I was in the middle of a run on M42 mount lenses and cameras so it didn't get a proper go, did I sell it here.....I dunno can't remember.
I've still got something for it, I dunno what that is either...lol....maybe a wide angle accessory of some kind, I'll root mi junk box..:)

I've got an older version of the Trip (metal shutter button) and just ran a film through it last week for the first time in 15 or 20 years. The meter surrounding the lens works without a battery and is still working fine, but there is no indication of whether the camera has chosen 1/40th or 1/200th of a second (the only 2 speeds) on A, nor which aperture it has chosen. A red flag comes up in the viewfinder if the shutter speed is going to be longer than 1/40th and the shutter won't fire. You can choose your own aperture setting by moving it off A, but would need to have a meter to give you a reading for the shutter speed. This is also how you use it with a flash, since the flash will have a scale to tell you what aperture you require.

R5-04517-007A (800x540).jpg

Last edited:
I had a Petri 7, I only ran one roll of film through it and it worked fine, I think there are a couple of red/green arrows in the viewfinder that you use for metering.
I was in the middle of a run on M42 mount lenses and cameras so it didn't get a proper go, did I sell it here.....I dunno can't remember.
I've still got something for it, I dunno what that is either...lol....maybe a wide angle accessory of some kind, I'll root mi junk box..:)

I've actually got that too - the FIL has kept it beautifully!

View attachment 96105

Last edited:
Have you used one?

What do I need to check other than running a roll of film through it?

Nope... held one and clicked the shutter! I was young, with a young family, it would have been extravagance to own one... do I regret it? Yep (but not at the expense of my family)

Tape measure and a Lightmeter to check the obvious?

There's a PC sync on the lens. Any idea about sync speed for studio flash?

Nope... held one and clicked the shutter! I was young, with a young family, it would have been extravagance to own one... do I regret it? Yep (but not at the expense of my family)

Tape measure and a Lightmeter to check the obvious?

Tape measure??

It's 'not a focal plane shutter so, all speeds will be in sync!

Tape measure??

Yeah... measure the distance of the rangefinder ;) (Reading it off against the distance scale.... not an exact science), no substitute for a bit of film though :)

Can anybody recommend a good black and white 35mm film to try out - going to order from Amazon so I can use it tomorrow!

Can anybody recommend a good black and white 35mm film to try out - going to order from Amazon so I can use it tomorrow!

XP2 is a good one as it's the normal C41 colour process. If you dev at home then just get the cheapest black and white you can find. Any of the Ilford are pretty good.

XP2 is a good one as it's the normal C41 colour process. If you dev at home then just get the cheapest black and white you can find. Any of the Ilford are pretty good.

Colour developing black and white film. You're twisting my melon man!!

I was very excited when the FIL brought out the petri!

Never used a rangefinder before but I'm looking forward to running a roll of film through it.

Anybody here used a petri before?

I hade a Petri &s some years ago, stupidly long since lost it. Very capable. It could be had with both a 45mm f2.8 or the much more sought after 45mm f1.8. I had the f1.8. In my youth I travelled quite a lot in eastern Europe behind the iron curtain and it made some very nice (but now very purple) Agfa CT18 slides!

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Petri_7s

Which lens does your have?

Agree with @srichards, get some Chromogenic film like XP-2 to give its whirl!

Fomapan 100 or 200. Good and cheap. Fuji across 100 very good and a bit more expensive.

I hade a Petri &s some years ago, stupidly long since lost it. Very capable. It could be had with both a 45mm f2.8 or the much more sought after 45mm f1.8. I had the f1.8. In my youth I travelled quite a lot in eastern Europe behind the iron curtain and it made some very nice (but now very purple) Agfa CT18 slides!

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Petri_7s

Which lens does your have?

Agree with @srichards, get some Chromogenic film like XP-2 to give its whirl!

F1.8!

Shaheed, get some film of any sort in that classic! Shoot some of your great portraits with it, it deserves to see and record light again!

Can you get a shutter release cable - is it a generic one or more specific for the petri 7s

IMG_1487619670.661895.jpg

@Sir SR that looks like the generic threaded release, available from the evil bay for a coupla quid. Make sure you get the locking one if you want to avoid cramp when doing longer exposures!

So ran a roll through yesterday - a bit of user error when unwinding the film - a small light leak!! Scanned the first 12 frames but here is one from the petri

Petri 7S test by Sir._.SR, on Flickr

Oooh! a boudoir shot. :D That's worked very well, it would appear that the reports of the Petri having a good lens were correct.

Andy

I've so little patience waiting for film to dry.

Wanted to run through a colour roll.....shot some sh*t today and have just developed it

I hate waiting.......

IMG_1487803981.663997.jpg

ya need to let go of that

either go to work or go to bed

failing that.......embrace the wait, you can't drink beer or tea before its brewed, a watched kettle never boils, a bird in the ha......oh wait

a rolling stone gathers n........its always darkest bef.......don't count yer chic........:/

ya need to let go of that

either go to work or go to bed

failing that.......embrace the wait, you can't drink beer or tea before its brewed, a watched kettle never boils, a bird in the ha......oh wait

a rolling stone gathers n........its always darkest bef.......don't count yer chic........:/

I went to bed. Although I had a couple of light leak issues I think when the rewind spool came loose in the middle of the reel. Made the winding on all strange!!

Back