Hey Shorty!

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally managed to find a Short-eared Owl with *a little* light left... Three images with very inconsistent WB/Color because I can't decide which treatment I prefer (better on flickr).

"True" colors

Hey Shorty!
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Actual "last light" colors (enhanced a bit)

Last Light

Golden Hour Ten Minutes, when I first found him (also enhanced a bit).

Golden Hour

Last edited:
Oooft, nice.

I was wondering about the colours but you've covered that. Theres' something I like about the light on the first, it has a soft tonal feel to it and that eye is to die for, my personal fave of the set. I very rarely see owls although very often hear the tawny owls in the woods opposite to where we live. The light on the 2nd image is a little magenta I think but the light on the owl is good. Lovely golden light in the 3rd.

A nice set, I'd eat my big toe to see one of these, let alone get them in frame, excellent work. (y)

Oooft, nice.

I was wondering about the colours but you've covered that. Theres' something I like about the light on the first, it has a soft tonal feel to it and that eye is to die for, my personal fave of the set. I very rarely see owls although very often hear the tawny owls in the woods opposite to where we live. The light on the 2nd image is a little magenta I think but the light on the owl is good. Lovely golden light in the 3rd.

A nice set, I'd eat my big toe to see one of these, let alone get them in frame, excellent work. (y)
Thanks for the feedback! The second is definitely magenta... it was one of those pink/purple sunsets.

Is that a wrong impression… I don't spot the critical
sharpness where it should be expected, Steven?

Nothing wrong with any of them, but personally number 2 wins to hands down for me.

Not only is it the better flight pose with the fully raised wings but the light is gorgeous (might be tempted just to slightly reduce the magenta in the BG though)

The first has an awkward wing position, so whilst its a nice capture it doesn't grab me the same way no. 2 does.

Third has lovely evening tones, but my preference here would be to have been able to have the sun directly behind you without the deep shadows. When you get to your level, I feel its the little things that make the difference between a good shot like this and a really nice shot like no.2

All 3 are framed nicely, SEOs always seem to suit a looser crop - not sure why, just seems to work with the environment

Mike

The first has an awkward wing position, so whilst its a nice capture it doesn't grab me the same way no. 2 does.
I kind of thought the "head poking through" pose a bit different/interesting.
Third has lovely evening tones, but my preference here would be to have been able to have the sun directly behind you without the deep shadows. When you get to your level, I feel its the little things that make the difference between a good shot like this and a really nice shot like no.2
Thanks for that... I did try to get into a better position once I had some good shots. But he moved to another perch and I couldn't get a clear shot until he flew again. TBH, I'm not sure a different vantage would have been better overall as it would have emphasized the posted sign/white frame much more.

Thanks for that... I did try to get into a better position once I had some good shots. But he moved to another perch and I couldn't get a clear shot until he flew again. TBH, I'm not sure a different vantage would have been better overall as it would have emphasized the posted sign/white frame much more.

I probably should have said I was just referring to the light - I doubt we'd ever choose a man made perch as first option, but they go where they choose - not us!

Mike

Back