Hi-Tech Pro 10 stop filter issue

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got the 10stop Pro Hi Tech filter that goes into my Lee filter holder and I'm getting 2 issues that I can't seem to get around and it's really bugging me.

Issue 1. A blue colour cast. Like really strong and even if I shoot with the white balance at 10000k it still comes out with a blue tinge. A Custom white balance doesn't help either.

Issue 2. Contrast. The filter seems to absolutely kill the contrast of an image and even if I underexpose the image it's still really flat. For my normal shots I usually up the blacks a tiny amount in lightroom but with the 10 stop filter even if I slight it all the way to the extreme it still looks flat and horrible.

Is this just the filter I've got or is it a common thing with all 10 stop filters?

Here's an example of an older shot. You can see how much I've increased the blacks and contrast in PP yet on the bottom left it's still pretty flat when it shouldn't be.

5975439325_4c764aa4ae_b.jpg

A blue colour cast is normal with 10 stop filters but the Hi-Tech is really bad compared to the Lee Big Stopper. Easiest way to fix is shoot RAW and correct in post.

A blue colour cast is normal with 10 stop filters but the Hi-Tech is really bad compared to the Lee Big Stopper. Easiest way to fix is shoot RAW and correct in post.

Ah right, was worried it was a common thing.

I am shooting RAW and just can't correct it enough in PP. Might have to sell it and buy the Lee filter instead then.

Got my big stopper last week. Desperate to go out and give it a try! I had the hitech and had the same issues as you!

No Damien. It's a lee big stopper that fits the lee system 100x100.
I did have a Hoya screw in but it was a pain to keep unscrewing etc. I would recommend getting for the square filter systems!

I have the Cokin p system with hitech 85mm hard grads and their 3mm 10 stop..but I'm thing about a sigma 10-20 ( the old one ) so may need to change....

U will def need to change to use it at 10mm. Lee holder and wide angle adapter ring is the only option really. I had a couple of hitech filters and didn't really rate them. Colour Cast was always noticeable. Lee are expensive but are worth spending the extra. Also have a few cokin z pro filters and there not to bad either.

Not really mate. Allot of the lee second hand stuff goes for near new prices on eBay. The lee big stoppers are going for silly money! It's cheaper to buy one new and just wait for it! Mine took 2 months to come

Like to see a review on them - especially as the Lee big stopper is hard to come by

Darren
I am also getting the same problems as you with my Hi -Tech, did you get any where with them? I just ordered a lee 10 stopper to replace it as i thought it was normal. I think maybe I should have a chat to teamwork on monday

I have the same issue with the Hi-Tech Pro as well. I have noticed that using it in bright conditions where the shutter is open for maybe 15 seconds I can colour correct in LR4 without too much problem but once exposures lengthen then I cannot remove the blue cast and the image becomes useless

Steve-T said:
I have the same issue with the Hi-Tech Pro as well. I have noticed that using it in bright conditions where the shutter is open for maybe 15 seconds I can colour correct in LR4 without too much problem but once exposures lengthen then I cannot remove the blue cast and the image becomes useless

Is this with the new version Tom posted? Are you shooting RAW?

I've got the 10stop Pro Hi Tech filter that goes into my Lee filter holder and I'm getting 2 issues that I can't seem to get around and it's really bugging me.

Issue 1. A blue colour cast. Like really strong and even if I shoot with the white balance at 10000k it still comes out with a blue tinge. A Custom white balance doesn't help either.

Issue 2. Contrast. The filter seems to absolutely kill the contrast of an image and even if I underexpose the image it's still really flat. For my normal shots I usually up the blacks a tiny amount in lightroom but with the 10 stop filter even if I slight it all the way to the extreme it still looks flat and horrible.

Is this just the filter I've got or is it a common thing with all 10 stop filters?

You get what you pay for.

I've gone through a complete set of Cokin and Hitech before I bit the bullet and splashed out on Lee's.

I ha dno end of problems with them with horrible colour casts, most of which can be resolved through PS, but I like to get as much rigth in the camera as I can.

The difference is amazing. Practically no colour cast and super definition.

This probably isn;t what you wanted to hear.

Hi all
I bought a Lee big stopper when they were first introduced before they became fashionable and the prices went though the roof, about a year or so ago I could have sold it for three or four times what I paid but I resisted temptation because I use it so much.
I decided to use lee filters [ I use their grads ] some time ago because of the number of Pro's who use them, I thought if they were good enough for them the were good enough for me.:cool:
Regards Bob

Shoot once with the filter, then shoot the same shot without it. In Photoshop use the normal shot to get the colours: masking / colour or luminance overlay

That's a great tip! Will defiantly try this! Hi-tech shouldn't be allowed to sell a 10 stop filter. It's not fit for purpose. It ruined hundreds of shots from a holiday I had to Cyprus. I'd of done HDR if I'd have known how bad it was going to be.

That's a great tip! Will defiantly try this! Hi-tech shouldn't be allowed to sell a 10 stop filter. It's not fit for purpose. It ruined hundreds of shots from a holiday I had to Cyprus. I'd of done HDR if I'd have known how bad it was going to be.

How did it ruin hundreds of shots? Were you shooting film? If not how did you not notice that it was "ruining" your shots? Also how would HDR have helped a scene that you'd decided demanded an extended length exposure?

Not having a go, just puzzled.

HDR wouldn't have helped, just would of done that instead for a different effect. Me and my father travelled round Cyprus taking photos at various points. The Hi-tech filter looked quite blue, but as I shoot raw thought I'd recover it. When I got back and I started to process I soon learn't that the blue tinge was to much. Along with the fact the filter ruined the contrast and sharpness. I was really disappointed. If I'd have taken a shot before the filter some pics may have been worked on, but I didn't. That's why on the last post I like the comment about taking a shot without filter.

Back