Beginner Hi

Name
jennie wooldridge
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I'm jen,

I've been brought a nikon d5300 it's been in the box about 3 months as I've been too afraid to use it. I have 2 beautiful boys a playful puppy and a older dog so perfect opportunity to use it.

It just confuses me. The menu that forst starts up with number.

I'd like to start using it as it's a shame to see it sitting there. Friends know I've been brought the camera and asked if I'd take photos of their horses etc

Can anyone give me any tips on where to start please?

Thanks

Read the manual. switch it on put it in Program or full auto. And start taking photos. Worry about the rest as you go along.

Hi Jen, welcome :) definitely read the manual but also if you prefer visual search YouTube for tutorials that way you can stop start and play along...
Don't be afraid to simply play too, don't get stressy about not knowing everything in one go ;)

Hi Jen
Here's a link to a start up vid of the D5300.
He's American, but that's OK :) Just ignore his comments about his book.
He's actually quite good at getting you started with your camera.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1Zj76Inh4

I've found some other vids but they tend to assume that you know what you are doing...

Thank you so much for replies.
I'm finding at the minute it's difficult when taking photos if moving things it's not an instant photo it's like 2-3 seconds before it snaps the photo

Are you useing the eye level viewfinder or the rear screen. Normally there is less shutter lag on eye level.

Could be focusing...

Hi since writing that reply I've realised looking through the eye piece it is quicker than using the back screen :)

Back