Midlands Hi.

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks.

As this is my first post, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tom, I live just outside of Chesterfield. Building trailers for living, biker, interested in almost everything that requires learning ;).

I had a short episode with photography not long ago and would like to get back to it. So far I was just taking it as a hobby, but my aim would be a little bit more professional this time, hence I many be asking fairly few questions ;).

My photo gear was very basic and consisted of various phones, compacts, even one compact couppled with 16x50 binos, to end up with D5100 + N70-300VR. It was a good set for a beginner, but at the end of using it I felt fairly limited in the field, as I was shooting mainly aircraft. Here is some samples from me

Phone
14471815151_2682b6378e_z.jpg

Compact + binos
9355538027_8e53d06ce9_z.jpg

9356822611_ed3ca44e8b_z.jpg

D5100
14300893376_4a871b1d0b_z.jpg

13654399485_fa6d0c7bab_z.jpg

16115316355_ff2f500931_z.jpg

I know I have a lot to learn yet, so please advice me what should I do next. Currently I don't have any camera and would like to get something better than I had (D5100 + N70-300VR),but should I just get body simillar to my last one to get some more practice, or maybe would it be good idea to jump straight to full frame and some proper gear in general? Both options have good and bad sides imho. Getting consumer level body would allow me to shoot in a matter of few weeks and gain some more skills before jumping onto FF. On the other side, FF will take me longer to aquire (much longer, as a guesstimate I'd say about next spring, possibly summer), but will also give me much more to play with. Or maybe third option - consumer level body with few FX lenses and later body upgrade? The system I want to take is Nikon again, as to the subjects - I'd like to photograph humans more than aircraft now ;). Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards
Tom

Hi Tom and a warm welcome to TP.
Hope you enjoy yourself here :)

Hi Tom, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy".

How do you do Tom :welcome: to the forum

Hello and a very warm welcome to you.

Useful Sections for New Members (click links)

> The Help section contains some good general information about how we do things around here and how the forum works.
> FAQs and Guides can be found here.
> Forum Help and Support is there for you to ask questions and get one to one support if you're having problems finding your way around or working out how to do things.
> Link up with other photographers in your area for local events and days out in Meeting Place.
> Or maybe you fancy a challenge . . . Take a look at some of the organised TP challenges and competitions here.

Back