HiFi - Integrated amplifier advice.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
My Arcam amp has been creaking along for years and has had dials replaced twice (maybe three times, I forget) plus I've cleaned them multiple times. They do seem to be a weakness and the input selector dial seems to have irrecoverably died now so I think it's time to finally give up and buy something else as replacing the dials only buys time before they go again (I have a Creek 4040 upstairs which is even older and it's never shown any sign of trouble.) I haven't kept up with HiFi and don't know what's available so if anyone is a HiFi fan or has bought something recently I'd be grateful for advice.

I like to buy British if at all possible but Googling proved depressing as several of the brands I knew of seem to have gone and more seem to have been bought out and / or shifted production to China or elsewhere. Arcam, Audiolab, Creek, Musical Fidelity etc... all just names on foreign made boxes now. I did see Quad are still going but sadly not enough inputs while Sugden are out of my price range. So, does anyone know of anything that might tempt me before I give up and just buy a Chinese box from Richer Sounds?

I need to be able to plug in my turntable, tuner, CD and tape deck also I'd like the on/off switch to be on the front. The tape deck seems to be a problem as several amps I've looked at don't have tape in/out. I was hoping to spend about £600 or so.

Richer Sounds isn't a bad place to buy from. They do support their products properly and have a 6 year warranty.

Or go the second hand route as you will get something that is better made. Find something that has been serviced and it should last well. The sugden you want is probably affordable when it's a few years old. Ex demo are also a good source of nearly new items too.

This new Leak one sounds interesting though. https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/leak-stereo-130-integrated-amplifier

I had an arcam years ago and the volume went duff and I bought a new one and it had a fault straight off. They weren't built brilliantly then.

Original 1990s Cyrus one and twos are lovely if you can find them. Had both of those over the years.

Useful info here as well on what needs doing and a place that can work on them. Never used them but they also do arcam so they might be able to fix yours permanently.

Last edited:
I was hoping to spend about £600 or so.

£600 will get a nice Sugden A21a.

I paid £500 for mine a few years ago.

I will not be looking for anything else, ever.

Also, I really do think that the very best bang for buck is provided by Yamaha. So see what they do around your budget.

£600 will get a nice Sugden A21a
This....
Hard to beat for the money.
Wish I still had mines...
Quality sound. They do get a bit hot though....
Rega Brio is another that I fancy....to go with my Rega turntable....

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I'm not sure the Cyrus One has the inputs I want as it doesn't seem to have tape in/out? Also I'd prefer tone and balance controls and this seems to have only balance? I know these are frowned upon by some but some old recordings I have are ropey and I'd hate to lose the ability to try and balance the speaker output and adjust the tone. I like that they're UK made though and the price is ok.

I put £600 but I'm a bit flexible, tight but trying to be flexible anyway :D I remembered Rega earlier and have had a quick look at their site. They seem to be UK made and the prices are ok but I'm not sure they have balance and tone controls and I'd need to clarify if they can take a tape deck as some have a record out while some specifically mention tape out and I don't know if they're talking about some other output and/or if this matters... I may need to email someone.

I'm not convinced about the earlier Sugdens. The newer ones are IMO a safer bet but I don't know where the A21A fits into that but going used puts me off as Googling just provided a blizzard that'd take some research to get through.

Andy, I'm very very tempted but I think I'm going to buy new as I have a lot of aging electronics and I'm getting to the point now that I just haven't got the time or energy to fix them when they play up.

Deep sigh... I hoped this was going to be relatively easy but after all this Googling I'm flagging now and on the verge of giving up on buying British as with a few exceptions they seem to have almost melted away. There used to be a hifi shop in town and all the best stuff was British but the shop is long gone like much of the manufacturing, how sad. Looking at the various websites I'm disappointed that the write ups are IMO sometimes unclear and the pictures at times too low res to let me see what the controls and inputs are.

I'll sleep on it and maybe have another look later :D

Thanks all.

I'm not sure the Cyrus One has the inputs I want as it doesn't seem to have tape in/out? Also I'd prefer tone and balance controls and this seems to have only balance? I know these are frowned upon by some but some old recordings I have are ropey and I'd hate to lose the ability to try and balance the speaker output and adjust the tone. I like that they're UK made though and the price is ok.

I put £600 but I'm a bit flexible, tight but trying to be flexible anyway :D I remembered Rega earlier and have had a quick look at their site. They seem to be UK made and the prices are ok but I'm not sure they have balance and tone controls and I'd need to clarify if they can take a tape deck as some have a record out while some specifically mention tape out and I don't know if they're talking about some other output and/or if this matters... I may need to email someone.

I'm not convinced about the earlier Sugdens. The newer ones are IMO a safer bet but I don't know where the A21A fits into that but going used puts me off as Googling just provided a blizzard that'd take some research to get through.

Andy, I'm very very tempted but I think I'm going to buy new as I have a lot of aging electronics and I'm getting to the point now that I just haven't got the time or energy to fix them when they play up.

Deep sigh... I hoped this was going to be relatively easy but after all this Googling I'm flagging now and on the verge of giving up on buying British as with a few exceptions they seem to have almost melted away. There used to be a hifi shop in town and all the best stuff was British but the shop is long gone like much of the manufacturing, how sad. Looking at the various websites I'm disappointed that the write ups are IMO sometimes unclear and the pictures at times too low res to let me see what the controls and inputs are.

I'll sleep on it and maybe have another look later :D
If you aren't set on British, have a look at Marantz.
They're probably the more musical of the Japanese brands and have everything you are looking for.
The PM6007 is the one I'd go for....

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Marantz and Yamaha have always had a good name, another I remember is Rotary.

I've just had a look at NAD. The website is IMO a complete disgrace plus I gather they're no longer British owned and are made in China anyway. oh dear.

I'll have to measure the slot it's going in but it looks like a British amp is a remote or even unfindable option and I might as well just buy Japanese or Chinese as at least I'll have something to listen to rather than spending my time endlessly Googling.

It's been a shock to me as British hifi used to be everywhere and reasonably priced. I have a Garrard turntable that still works, a Linn Sondek LP12 fitted with a Logik power on/off and speed control unit which didn't work when new until I fixed it :D plus the Arcam amp and CD player and upstairs I have a Creek 4040 which I'd bring downstairs but it has din plugs. My tuner used to be a Pioneer but now it's a Tangent which I'd never heard of but it works. I got that from Richer Sounds.

Guys, do you know if that Marantz and Yamaha will take a tape deck? I think they will...

Last edited:
Digital inputs and Bluetooth
With hi-fi systems being asked to handle more and more digital sources, Yamaha has equipped the AS701 to cope with ease. It has both optical and coaxial digital inputs for your TV, CD player or other source with digital output. Taking this one stage further, add the optional Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth receiver and you'll be able to effortlessly link up your smartphone, tablet or other Bluetooth-equipped device, giving you simple, wireless music streaming.

Plenty of connections
In addition to the digital connections, the A-S701 comes with a broad range of other sockets. Five line level inputs, two recording loops and a phono input for your turntable, plus a subwoofer output make for plenty of options. There are two sets of separately switched speaker sockets and a headphone output too. A remote control that will also operate other Yamaha devices is also included.

With hi-fi systems being asked to handle more and more digital sources, Yamaha has equipped the AS701 to cope with ease. It has both optical and coaxial digital inputs for your TV, CD player or other source with digital output. Taking this one stage further, add the optional Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth receiver and you'll be able to effortlessly link up your smartphone, tablet or other Bluetooth-equipped device, giving you simple, wireless music streaming.

Plenty of connections
In addition to the digital connections, the A-S701 comes with a broad range of other sockets. Five line level inputs, two recording loops and a phono input for your turntable, plus a subwoofer output make for plenty of options. There are two sets of separately switched speaker sockets and a headphone output too. A remote control that will also operate other Yamaha devices is also included.

i have the A-S801 and its a stunner

It might be too tall to fit the hole... I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks all.

i have the A-S801 and its a stunner

If his budget would stretch that bit - absolutely.

I have an old AS500 in my second system and it's amazing. I had it in my main system when I had the Sugden serviced and it held its own remarkably well.

If his budget would stretch that bit - absolutely.

I have an old AS500 in my second system and it's amazing. I had it in my main system when I had the Sugden serviced and it held its own remarkably well.
Buy a bigger hole. :D

I can afford a nice one but I'm imposing some spending limits, £200-700 or a bit more is ok. On the hole. When I replaced my tuner I got the Tangent as it was the only one I could find which would fit. Rejigging the setup would be too much hassle and there's really nowhere else it could go even if the cables would reach.

ZglJiaO.jpg

I've had to do that upstairs with some kit to plug it into the Creek. Bringing the Creek downstairs would leave a hole upstairs so it'd only be until I got something new as I do listen in both locations.

I know buying used can make sense but I want a new one this time as electronics decades old can be problematic as the components particularly capacitors age. I have a lot of kit that's 20-40 years old now and although things aren't going too bad at the moment just about everything has needed attention from time to time and it'd be nice to give the soldering iron a rest. Life is full enough for me without sitting bending over old kit nursing it back to health.

Plenty of used amps that are only 2-3 years old.

Maybe but I want to buy new.

Although I do understand why someone would want to buy new.

Even though all my hifi was bought used, except my Croft valve phono amp, and I'm not sure why I bought that new.

For me there's little real meaningful savings and IMO there's always a worry buying stuff used. I want something that I can just order, receive and plug in and forget for years not something I have to hunt for, worry if it'll turn up and work perfectly and not be a crud infested lump I have to nurse back to health as the electronics crumble and the capacitors all give up the ghost.

I'm/we're probably in a minority still playing vinyl and even 78's, CD's, even cassettes and listening to a tuner as I suppose everyone streams or just uses a phone these days but I want to keep access to my recordings as long as possible. It's a shame the British hifi industry seems to have been decimated though.

Oh, and the websites of these "British" companies... My God.

So, I'm off to Amazon or Richer Sounds to buy a Japanese name box made in Vietnam or somewhere. Thanks guys.

Plenty of connections
I think as a non-purist who streams audio I'd now always want something with digital inputs to avoid messing about with external DACs, etc. HDMI is really useful (though uncommon in HiFi amps that aren't AVRs) and will take, e.g., a Raspberry Pi (which running Kodi lets you stream via UPnP or AirPlay) or a Chromecast.

think as a non-purist who streams audio I'd now always want something with digital inputs to avoid messing about with external DACs, etc.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion. My CD player has 2 optical digital inputs.

I have the TV going to one and my PC soundcard to the other.

I used to work in both computers and wider electronics but since leaving work over 10 years ago I just haven't followed developments at all and instead I've become a bit of a technophobe. I have no idea what the current tech is, I have no interest at all in using a smartphone or a computer to control or drive anything in the home and no idea how to start streaming anything assuming the quality has at least become acceptable rather than the compressed stuttering strangled dying screams it once was. I assume it's better than that these days. These days the less tech I have the better.

More than being just a technophobe I'm now actively annoyed by technology and the failure of companies to display their half working products clearly and concisely. Why they can't give us clear expandable readable pictures of the kit and clearly say what you can plug into it I just don't know. Time after time I've seen just a list of model numbers with no clue as to what they actually are before clicking on them. Grrrrr....

Oh, and the last job I had involved a company which supplied components to some UK name hifi brands and they didn't inspire confidence. How some of these companies can charge £4-6K for the unremarkable and in some instances ridiculously designed kit they badge I just don't know. I'd willingly pay a bit more for a British designed and made product to keep people here employed and the NHS ticking over but I'm struggling with the thought of paying 4-6 times as much for something which they can't be bothered to photograph and describe adequately and concisely.

And Breathe...

Last edited:
i bought my yam A-S801 in a clearance for £499 just checked. I wanted a Silver one and managed to find one.

I think that one's too tall to fit. Sadly.

I'm still pondering buying one of the pretend to be British brands or even a really is British one but I'll need to email the "manufacturer" or a retailer with a list of questions first. Questions that shouldn't be needed as the info should really be on the manufacturer and retailer websites, but isn't, because they can't be arsed, or just don't know. Either scenario is possible.

I used to work in both computers and wider electronics but since leaving work over 10 years ago I just haven't followed developments at all and instead I've become a bit of a technophobe. I have no idea what the current tech is, I have no interest at all in using a smartphone or a computer to control or drive anything in the home and no idea how to start streaming anything assuming the quality has at least become acceptable rather than the compressed stuttering strangled dying screams it once was. I assume it's better than that these days. These days the less tech I have the better.

More than being just a technophobe I'm now actively annoyed by technology and the failure of companies to display their half working products clearly and concisely. Why they can't give us clear expandable readable pictures of the kit and clearly say what you can plug into it I just don't know. Time after time I've seen just a list of model numbers with no clue as to what they actually are before clicking on them. Grrrrr....

Oh, and the last job I had involved a company which supplied components to some UK name hifi brands and they didn't inspire confidence. How some of these companies can charge £4-6K for the unremarkable and in some instances ridiculously designed kit they badge I just don't know. I'd willingly pay a bit more for a British designed and made product to keep people here employed and the NHS ticking over but I'm struggling with the thought of paying 4-6 times as much for something which they can't be bothered to photograph and describe adequately and concisely.

And Breathe...
Things have improved. Nowadays you can, if you want, stream better than CD quality uncompressed audio by wifi from a smartphone (though it's not really clear anyone can notice the improvement in blind testing, or even between CDs and properly done high bitrate mp3s, in most cases). For me, convenience wins here. But if you don't enjoy using the technology, then that's an excellent reason to avoid it! HiFi does seem to thrive on impenetrable jargon. My financial contribution to the British audio industry is largely limited to buying records by British artists. I've got some KEF speakers, but I'm sure they're made a bit further East than Maidstone. As for the prices of the high end stuff, beyond a certain point I suspect you're getting homeopathically diminishing returns for the extra cash, especially in the digital domain. This is why heavily invested audiophiles generally aren't fans of blind testing...

Thats the thing. Conviniance, I loved playing CD's but I got fed up of buying a CD and only liking 2 or 3 tracks. Changing a CD every 3 tracks is a faff and just doesnt happen. Ive got a few hacks to stream audio, mainly cant justify buying new equipment and modern music is pure s***e in the main

Thats the thing. Conviniance, I loved playing CD's but I got fed up of buying a CD and only liking 2 or 3 tracks. Changing a CD every 3 tracks is a faff and just doesnt happen. Ive got a few hacks to stream audio, mainly cant justify buying new equipment and modern music is pure s***e in the main

I have a Sony CD player/writer and can make my own compilations so although some CD's do sit unplayed for years those good tracks do get listened to on a compilation CD.

Anyway. The good news...

Rega, Exposure, Nytech, Talk electronics/Edwards audio and more still designed and made in the UK and within budget. Others still exist but are way out of budget, I'm not spending £2k-6k on an amp these days.

Other than that a whole host of names from years ago still exist as names on Chinese or other made boxes. If these count as British or contribute anything to the UK's economy in any real way I just don't know.

Current favourite is the Riga Elex R which is designed and made in the UK and comes in at £940. I might have another look tomorrow. One thing though, that remote control looks a right cheap piece of tat and for knocking on £1k I'm sure they could do better, actually I'm sure there are remotes that come with kit costing less than £100 which look better.

Last edited:
I built this amp a few years ago, needs a bit of a service, also needs a tone stack adding to it, but I can plug anything I like into it and it sounds top banana :)

tumblr_oyrf8l8L6J1sb7qm1o2_1280.jpg

I've no idea what it has. I looked at some review pictures and they showed different modes or maybe that was the Arcam so hopefully they're built in but if not I might have to do without. I would prefer them as not every CD, record or tape is all that good. The ideal amp would be as someone said a piece of wire from input to output just adding gain but in reality not all recordings are equal. I think I'd rather buy a good British amp and do without than buy a Chinese one with. But I might change my mind.

I built this amp a few years ago, needs a bit of a service, also needs a tone stack adding to it, but I can plug anything I like into it and it sounds top banana :)

tumblr_oyrf8l8L6J1sb7qm1o2_1280.jpg

That does look good.

I built my own decades ago but it wasn't like yours, just a transistor jobbie. It took a long time to build and it cost me a fortune and stupidly I gave it to someone at work who was fascinated with it. Gosh knows why. Wish I'd kept it :D

That does look good.

I built my own decades ago but it wasn't like yours, just a transistor jobbie. It took a long time to build and it cost me a fortune and stupidly I gave it to someone at work who was fascinated with it. Gosh knows why. Wish I'd kept it :D

I nearly threw it out when one of valves blew, luckily I didn’t, just replaced the blown parts that got taken out with the valve.

at the moment it’s sitting unused, as there are a few more parts I need to replace, 10K trimmers for the bias circuit, also need to add 1M ohm resistor across the trimmers for safety should the carbon track fail, could possibly leave the power valves EL34 with no bias instantly red plating them and blowing them up.
I want to add a tone stack, maybe a guitar input. :)

Back