HiFi - Integrated amplifier advice.

I nearly threw it out when one of valves blew, luckily I didn’t, just replaced the blown parts that got taken out with the valve.

at the moment it’s sitting unused, as there are a few more parts I need to replace, 10K trimmers for the bias circuit, also need to add 1M ohm resistor across the trimmers for safety should the carbon track fail, could possibly leave the power valves EL34 with no bias instantly red plating them and blowing them up.
I want to add a tone stack, maybe a guitar input. :)

You may know about this site already but it's a cornucopia of amp building and bits. https://www.hificollective.co.uk/

I understand you desire to get new and I wish you luck in your search. Tone controls fell out of favour as you likely know so harder to find these days on new equipment.

My amp for my 2020 'office' is a TEAC A-H500 which is compact and very well specced. Tone controls, balance, phono, tape in/out; I currently have it hooked up to bluetooth from my computer to provide audio for zoom calls as well as youtube and streamed/networked music. I sold off the tape decks that were part of the set and the 7 disk player. Anyway, wanted to add it to the last of used options if you decide you cannot find what you need new though it may sit taller than you could accommodate..

Built this in the last few years with help from my talented friends and a terrific audio chap. No tone controls and no balance but about 8 watts of pure joy :)

Tubelab SE 300B.jpg

I nearly threw it out when one of valves blew, luckily I didn’t, just replaced the blown parts that got taken out with the valve.

at the moment it’s sitting unused, as there are a few more parts I need to replace, 10K trimmers for the bias circuit, also need to add 1M ohm resistor across the trimmers for safety should the carbon track fail, could possibly leave the power valves EL34 with no bias instantly red plating them and blowing them up.
I want to add a tone stack, maybe a guitar input. :)

I have no idea what you just said as I've never used valves... but I still like the look of it :D

whatever you get make sure its future proofed, lots of digital inputs, maybe even streamer capable and a must have is a USB DAC input.
personally nowadays i wouldn't have an amp that didn't have tome controls, so much music nowadays is "tone skewed" a simple tweak to me can make it sound better.
don't get bogged down in "old school" thats why i went Yamaha, such a modern up beat and great sound with all the inputs and tone controls.

Last edited:
I understand you desire to get new and I wish you luck in your search. Tone controls fell out of favour as you likely know so harder to find these days on new equipment.

My amp for my 2020 'office' is a TEAC A-H500 which is compact and very well specced. Tone controls, balance, phono, tape in/out; I currently have it hooked up to bluetooth from my computer to provide audio for zoom calls as well as youtube and streamed/networked music. I sold off the tape decks that were part of the set and the 7 disk player. Anyway, wanted to add it to the last of used options if you decide you cannot find what you need new though it may sit taller than you could accommodate..

Built this in the last few years with help from my talented friends and a terrific audio chap. No tone controls and no balance but about 8 watts of pure joy :)

View attachment 303463

The more budget kit seem to have them but the mid to higher end kit tends not too. I think you're just supposed to buy something else to play all those pesky low quality recordings on. It is IMO a stupid attitude for the more expensive marques to take. Tone controls, balance and a mono switch are not IMO silly things, they are things that equipment should have to enable us to enjoy old creaking stuff before it's lost forever.

Damn. I'm talking myself out of this Rega and back towards one of those well equipped Japanese boxes at half the price.

I'll have another think... support British tax paying jobs and buy the under spec Rega or buy something designed by someone with a functioning brain.

whatever you get make sure its future proofed, lots of digital inputs, maybe even streamer capable and a must have is a USB DAC input.

I have no idea what any of that is and if that stuff becomes a necessity I'll just give up and sing loudly as they take me away.

View attachment 303463

That’s a lovely looking amp.

looks like a Single Ended design.

2x 6N1P or ECC82/83 preamp valves
2x KT88 power valves
1x 5U4-GB rectifier valve
2x James 6123H output transformers

personally nowadays i wouldn't have an amp that didn't have tome controls, so much music nowadays is "tone skewed" a simple tweak to me can make it sound better.
don't get bogged down in "old school" thats why i went Yamaha, such a modern up beat and great sound with all the inputs and tone controls.

You have a point.

I really struggle to understand the mindset that these companies have. Don't they consider that people may have recordings that go back decades that might need a tweak? I'm not talking about multiple graphic equaliser type controls, just the basic mono option, tone and balance. That's all. Even some relatively modern LP's I have are as you say skewed and sound frankly awful. I suppose I'm not supposed to buy them or attempt to listen to anything that doesn't conform to whatever the designers deem acceptable.

Last edited:
Can I plug my tape deck into a Yamaha?

I've have to check as I don't think the Yamaha will fit...

You have a point.

I really struggle to understand the mindset that these companies have. Don't they consider that people may have recordings that go back decades that might need a tweak? I'm not talking about multiple graphic equaliser type controls, just the basic mono option, tone and balance. That's all. Even some relatively modern LP's I have are as you say skewed and sound frankly awful. I suppose I'm not supposed to buy them or attempt to listen to anything that doesn't conform to whatever the designers deem acceptable.

absolutely spot on mate.i have tons of CDS (digitised) that have old school bass that need dialing up, lots of vocals that need a bit more treble, also my ears are tired so i need a bit of tweak sometimes.

Can I plug my tape deck into a Yamaha?

I've have to check as I don't think the Yamaha will fit...

certainly as a source yes its outputs will be RCA and i assume a voltage standard, dunno about record out and off tape monitoring tho.

Hmmmm.... That's the thing. I have no idea what the markings on the rear are meant to mean. There are two with four connectors but it's just not clear and the write up doesn't say...

In your budget and the sources you have i think the AS501 would be the sweet spot, it has loads of inputs and a coax and optical input for any future digital thoughts and all the smashing tone controls

Hmmmm.... That's the thing. I have no idea what the markings on the rear are meant to mean. There are two with four connectors but it's just not clear and the write up doesn't say...

amp.jpg

Attachments

• amp.jpeg
    amp.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 13
I think you might be best to pop into Richer Sounds and have a chat.

Yup. And hope they know what they're talking about.

There's also an old style hifi shop in Stockton which isn't too far away. I guess I'll have to wait until they're open and give them a call.

I do appreciate that some may have left cassettes and ropey LP's and CD's behind but I have all this stuff I'd like to keep listening to. The other option is to buy a used amp with the things I want but most of my stuff is decades old and I sort of want to buy something new. I can't quite remember how old the Arcam is, probably easily 20 years old at least and my Creek even older.

the Yam looks like it might even have a Tape Rec out looking at the pic, i think its your winner.

Receiver / Integrated Amplifier
Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz)
High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)
Frequency Response
Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD)
Damping Factor
Digital Input
Audio In / Out
Subwoofer Out
Pure Direct
ToP-ART
DC out
Standby Power Consumption
Power Management (Auto Power Standby)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Weight
Receiver / Integrated Amplifier
A-S501
Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz)85 W + 85 W (0.019% THD)
High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)130 / 150 / 185 / 220 W
Frequency Response10 Hz -100 kHz +/- 1.0 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz)0.019% (50 W / 8 ohms)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD)99 dB (input shorted, 200 mV)
Damping Factor240
Digital InputYes (optical / coaxial)
Audio In / Out8 / 2
Subwoofer OutYes
Pure DirectYes
ToP-ARTYes
DC outYes
Standby Power Consumption0.5 W
Power Management (Auto Power Standby)Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D)17-1/8" x 6" x 15-1/4"
Weight22.7 lbs.

Doesn't say though does it? I suppose I could buy on line and return it if it doesn't take a tape deck or doesn't give an output. The first thing is to see if it'll fit :D
Your tape deck will be line level, so any line input will work :)

the Yam looks like it might even have a Tape Rec out looking at the pic, i think its your winner.

Yup. It might. PB or P8? Dunno, I've looked at this on line and I can't read it even with a mag glass as it's too low res. It might be tape in / out.

Your tape deck will be line level, so any line input will work :)

Tape deck needs an out on the back of the amp too. I might want to record... I can't remember the last time I did but it'd be nice to keep the ability. I think it'll be ok. I just like to be sure :D

Lots of recommendation in the thread, but a question I have is do your really need tape in and OUT ? I totally understand the need to play your existing tape collection, but do you still record tapes. I certainly would not limit my choice to just UK built, you don't want to rule out a killer amp just because is made elsewhere.

I've just last month digitized my tapes to put on the nas and play through the network player.

Tape deck needs an out on the back of the amp too. I might want to record... I can't remember the last time I did but it'd be nice to keep the ability. I think it'll be ok. I just like to be sure :D

In that case you’ll be fine with the Yamaha pictured above :)

Lots of recommendation in the thread, but a question I have is do your really need tape in and OUT ? I totally understand the need to play your existing tape collection, but do you still record tapes. I certainly would not limit my choice to just UK built, you don't want to rule out a killer amp just because is made elsewhere.

I've just last month digitized my tapes to put on the nas and play through the network player.

I don't know if I'll ever record to tape again but if I lose the ability I can't.

On the buying British, I know I don't have to but it would be nice to support UK jobs and keep the tax coming in and another thing that sticks in my mind is what's the point in paying knocking on £1k for an amp designed who knows who by and where and made in some mega factory in China that knocks out amps badged 30 different ways? Is it going to be any better than a £300-500 Japanese amp made in the next door factory? Spending more on a known name British amp used to mean you were getting something designed by an enthusiast and designed to sound good, but today with these heritage name only ones? Who knows?

I don't know if I'll ever record to tape again but if I lose the ability I can't.

On the buying British, I know I don't have to but it would be nice to support UK jobs and keep the tax coming in and another thing that sticks in my mind is what's the point in paying knocking on £1k for an amp designed who knows who by and where and made in some mega factory in China that knocks out amps badged 30 different ways? Is it going to be any better than a £300-500 Japanese amp made in the next door factory? Spending more on a known name British amp used to mean you were getting something designed by an enthusiast and designed to sound good, but today with these heritage name only ones? Who knows?
I like your attitude Alan, but all the secrets of good amp design aren't secrets any more, and a Chinese made amp could be as good (maybe better) than a British one. But I agree, buy to support jobs here.

You're way overthinking it.

:)

Maybe but these days it's probably the same bloke or team designing the latest Quad, Arcam, Mission, Leak etc so what's to choose between them?

I suppose it's always been the case to an extent. I remember years ago when a certain northern manufacturer updated their kit, "some bloke from London redesigned them." At least they are still made in the UK though.

I like your attitude Alan, but all the secrets of good amp design aren't secrets any more, and a Chinese made amp could be as good (maybe better) than a British one. But I agree, buy to support jobs here.

It's not just the jobs though it's everything that comes with them from sense of purpose to paying for the NHS. Getting a nice amp is just a bonus :D

I do like the idea of buying from someone who cares a bit more though.

That’s a lovely looking amp.

looks like a Single Ended design.

2x 6N1P or ECC82/83 preamp valves
2x KT88 power valves
1x 5U4-GB rectifier valve
2x James 6123H output transformers

Thanks.

Yep; single ended. It's a Tubelab SE design.

The input stage are 5842 valves. I bought a few of those as they aren't easy to find these days..
Power are 300b valves.
Yep, 5U4
Yep, James Audio 6123H OT's
James Audio 10H 200MA choke

Top plate is 2.4mm copper and hidden from view is one of these beasts

1139999-600x600.jpg

I run an umbilical to the Edcor 131 power supply which sits on the shelf below.

Edcor for TSE.jpg

the weird thing is i am already thinking my thoughts are moving to active speakers/monitors

Plus an indoor forklift to move the buggers!

Positively featherweight compared to my previous objects of desire.

Back