High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Nice shots Glenn, there's no doubt the mkiii is a really good camera but, the price has taken it beyond its worth imo, £1500+ is a step too far so I decided to get an A6000 and lenses which is still considerably lighter and more compact than all the DSLR kit I used to have.
I'm actually enjoying the new set up and still have my original RX10 if I want to just carry one body.

Nice shots Glenn, there's no doubt the mkiii is a really good camera but, the price has taken it beyond its worth imo, £1500+ is a step too far so I decided to get an A6000 and lenses which is still considerably lighter and more compact than all the DSLR kit I used to have.
I'm actually enjoying the new set up and still have my original RX10 if I want to just carry one body.
Yes I agree Imo it is overpriced for what it is but Sony tend to do that

I agree it is now overpriced but I notice Bristol Cameras are still advertising it at £1249, although they have none in stock.

Still too much, when you consider Nikons 24-500 was advertised around £700 though when it will appear is anybodies guess

Ok, it's too much but I get a bit fed up hearing how much less the Nikon will be, since it doesn't exist in any useful form. While everybody with an interest is waiting for this miracle, I'm out taking photos.

I don't think anyone is waiting for it, most of us have other gear, there's other 1 inch much less expensive options, it was merely an example

I agree it is now overpriced but I notice Bristol Cameras are still advertising it at £1249, although they have none in stock.
As the saying goes in retail: 'Anyone can be cheap when they haven't got stock". I used it myself when asked to price-match. 'Look, you're here because we've got stock and [competitor] hasn't. If you want it now then that's the price.'

Still too much, when you consider Nikons 24-500 was advertised around £700 though when it will appear is anybodies guess
As you say, the Nikon was advertised at £749, but at that point in time the Sony was £300 less than it is now, so if the Nikon is ever released, who knows what the new price will be!
I just wrote a long paragraph explaining my physical constraints that made the MKIII ideal for me and my preferred photographic interests, and then realised that I have no need to justify my purchase to you or anybody else. But this isn't the first time that you've posted that this camera is too expensive, and it makes me feel like I've done something wrong in buying one. I think I may have to leave this thread for a bit because of this, as I thought the purpose of it was to discuss the camera, and share photos that we are proud of, and not to be told we were basically daft for buying a camera when we could have spent less money elsewhere.

Well said Marcia. I was going to respond to Robintaylor along the same lines myself but wasn't able to keep it so civil so I didn't in the end. If he thinks the camera is unjustifiably expensive why keep coming here just to say so. Don't think of leaving this thread, we value your contribution.

As you say, the Nikon was advertised at £749, but at that point in time the Sony was £300 less than it is now, so if the Nikon is ever released, who knows what the new price will be!
I just wrote a long paragraph explaining my physical constraints that made the MKIII ideal for me and my preferred photographic interests, and then realised that I have no need to justify my purchase to you or anybody else. But this isn't the first time that you've posted that this camera is too expensive, and it makes me feel like I've done something wrong in buying one. I think I may have to leave this thread for a bit because of this, as I thought the purpose of it was to discuss the camera, and share photos that we are proud of, and not to be told we were basically daft for buying a camera when we could have spent less money elsewhere.
That's being a bit over sensitive and not what I'm saying,I've not insinuated anyone being daft so making things up is ridiculous, how you or anybody else spends their money has nothing to do with me, it's a personal choice as is my personal opinion its overpriced.
It's a forum which people are entitled to put their opinions forward, you don't have to agree and there's certainly no need to get upset about it, I followed the thread to see whether it might be a worthwhile option for me but Imo it isn't.
End of.
Enjoy it

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words Glenn. Much appreciated.
Thank you for putting me straight Robintaylor. The RXIII may not be a worthwhile option for you, but to those of us who have one, it certainly is a wothwhile option. But as you said "End of."

Thank you for your kind words Glenn. Much appreciated.
Thank you for putting me straight Robintaylor. The RXIII may not be a worthwhile option for you, but to those of us who have one, it certainly is a worthwhile option. But as you said "End of."
I just want to add my apologies if I appeared to be criticising this camera - far from it, it's just that I had set my stall out to buy one at £1249 but there weren't any available and when the price was hiked up by £300, I felt it wasn't worth it for me to stretch that far.
I would have no hesitation in buying one if the price comes down in the future.
I've seen the quality of the photographs posted here and elsewhere and consider the mkiii to be a fine camera given all of its options.

Please don't apologise Chris. I think I got mine just before you were looking and I think I was very lucky to get one just before the price rises took hold! I think if I was looking now then I'd have to think hard at current prices! But then a lot of camera gear has gone up in price so it's a difficult one! I hope you get sorted in the not to distant future!

Please don't apologise Chris. I think I got mine just before you were looking and I think I was very lucky to get one just before the price rises took hold! I think if I was looking now then I'd have to think hard at current prices! But then a lot of camera gear has gone up in price so it's a difficult one! I hope you get sorted in the not to distant future!
Thank you Marcia, I'll bide my time with my mki until the prices tumble...here's hoping anyway!

Thank you Chris and Glenn. I've had my children (well they're in their 30's now so older children!), up for a few days so the photos have been building up! I'm so chuffed with some of the shots I'm getting that I think it's given my photography a new lease of life!

Hi Donna
All the images on this thread have been taken with the RX10 MKIII. I love the camera, but it does depend on your needs and expectations.

Different camera, but just acquired the FZ1000 - boy do I recommend it!!

2016-08-20 at 12-39-04.jpg 2016-08-20 at 12-39-04.jpg 2016-08-20 at 12-35-49.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-08-20 at 13-22-09.jpg
    2016-08-20 at 13-22-09.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 19
Tentative suggestion here, OP, but what about renaming and merging the thread to make a bridge camera thread? I think we’ve all got a fe members on here with some of the current next gen style and might be interesting to see results and have a chat..

Mike, this was something I'd been thinking about for a little while and I suggested it to Lawrence as he was floundering around creating threads all over the place. Before he was banned anyway.....

I wasn't are the price had been hiked up by so much! I loved my mk1 and I do regret selling it. The A3 prints on my wall at home consist of this camera and a full framer and at A3 (A3+ actually) you can't tell them apart - which does kinda make me wonder why I needed the full framer :D

Oh yeah dof!!

I was thinking 'High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000' then adding others as they turn up. I wouldn't object to the Fuji X-S1 or perhaps the Pan TZ100 being added but rather snobbishly want to keep out all those tiny-sensored superzooms. ;) Substitute 'Large-sensored' for 'High-end' if you like.

Panasonic FZ1000

_1040209_zpsxc5j7mvq.jpg

_1020204_zpstpatu2ye.jpg

_1030527_zps4k0bokvf.jpg

Last edited:
I was a m4/3 user ( 'downsized' from Canon) but was completely fed up with the weight and changing lenses. I travel a lot and had tried Panasonic GM1 amongst others as a pocketable camera but eventually settled on the Sony RX100 IV as my travel camera. I liked the IQ from the Sony and knowing that the FZ1000 had the same sensor, I bought one to take on holiday instead of the m4/3 kit to see if I would be satisfied. I was and not long after coming back from holiday I bought the RX10 III. I've sold all my other kit and have absolutely no regrets.

As for comparison, the Panny has better auto focus but lacks the reach I wanted.

Last edited:
To celebrate the new name of the thread, here's one of Norwich Cathedral cloisters taken on my original RX10 two years ago. Looking at it now, I think cropping it to a square might be a good idea.

DSC00485.JPG

and one taken in Lisbon last year with the RX10 II.

DSC00507.JPG

Last edited:
I was a m4/3 user ( 'downsized' from Canon) but was completely fed up with the weight and changing lenses. I travel a lot and had tried Panasonic GM1 amongst others as a pocketable camera but eventually settled on the Sony RX100 IV as my travel camera. I liked the IQ from the Sony and knowing that the FZ1000 had the same sensor, I bought one to take on holiday instead of the m4/3 kit to see if I would be satisfied. I was and not long after coming back from holiday I bought the RX10 III. I've sold all my other kit and have absolutely no regrets.

As for comparison, the Panny has better auto focus but lacks the reach I wanted.
I've done the same but from Nikon, forgive me for repeating myself but the price puts me off and a I'm not ready to sell my mft gear so I'm hoping a similar alternative will come to fruition that's at a better price point

For heaven's sake man, will you stop coming on here and telling us the price puts you off. We are not fussed what you think. If you would like to contribute here, then buy one of the specified cameras - oh no, wait, you think they are too expensive - and let's see your work.

For heaven's sake man, will you stop coming on here and telling us the price puts you off. We are not fussed what you think. If you would like to contribute here, then buy one of the specified cameras - oh no, wait, you think they are too expensive - and let's see your work.
No need to get out your pram, price has nothing to do with anything?? Value for money has a major influence for most normal people, if you don't like what others say it ignore it. I'm not fussed what you think either but who cares.
I have the fz300, had the fz1000 (didn't like it) I believe they're bridge cameras??

Last edited:
Back