High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

I've done the same but from Nikon, forgive me for repeating myself but the price puts me off and a I'm not ready to sell my mft gear so I'm hoping a similar alternative will come to fruition that's at a better price point

Surely the £550 ish approx price of the FZ1000 is very good value for money considering what is on offer? It seems very reasonable to me.

Surely the £550 ish approx price of the FZ1000 is very good value for money considering what is on offer? It seems very reasonable to me.
Yes it is wouldn't disagree at all, I have debated getting another one, it was just the build quality I didn't like at the time, I didn't like the menu either but very used to Panasonic now

Reactions: LCS
Another fz300, living in the country they don't normally give you a chance to get the viewfinder to your eye so was quite pleased with this.1472119463642.jpg

Reactions: LCS
This is from my old Sony DSC-R1 which is probably the largest-sensored bridge camera ever as it was APS-C.

_DSC0783.JPG

Last edited:
One from today. Hoverfly Eristalis nemorum. Identified by the male hovering above the female (apparently!) My husband said that the book he got me for Christmas entitled Britains Hoverflies would come in useful and today it did!! Thank you to my lovely hubby!!

Last edited:
This is Loch Lomond with the RX10 iii. Above the stern of the boat is the summit of Ben Lomond. This is at 8.8mm

SON04845-Edit_zpsasmghszz.jpg

These are the people on the summit of Ben Lomond, from the same spot, at 220mm

SON04856-Edit_zpsyzhcnqkz.jpg
Cracker. Love he wide angle shot, the colours and sharpness are fantastic!

It does produce some excellent results, what's the extended zoom like?

I hope this is an appropriate place to pose my question:confused: (?)

I've seen a Panasonic Lumix FZ 72 bridge camera for £149 ("pre-loved", obviously!) at my local 'London Camera Exchange' branch. It came out in 2013. I've read all about it. I'm tempted.

I'd be grateful for, and interested in, any forum friends' opinions.

TIA:)!

I hope this is an appropriate place to pose my question:confused: (?)

I've seen a Panasonic Lumix FZ 72 bridge camera for £149 ("pre-loved", obviously!) at my local 'London Camera Exchange' branch. It came out in 2013. I've read all about it. I'm tempted.

I'd be grateful for, and interested in, any forum friends' opinions.

TIA:)!
It's a decent price but it does have a tiny sensor like my fz300 which has quite a few better qualities to it including iq.

Thanks, Robin:)! I know about the small sensor. What's 'iq':confused:?

It would be an OK starter camera but if your more experienced, there's better out there, depends on budget, what you shoot etc

Glenn, please could you take another without the planes cluttering up the shot so we can just have those receding tones in the background? ;)

Not often you see Swallows and Martins in trees! As Chris says it really does seem like he's looking down the lens! Brilliant image!

What are people's thoughts between the Sony rx10 ii and iii? I get the impression both have advantages.

The M2's lens has a constant f2.8 aperture which some people feel is important. It's also cheaper and lighter than the M3 but I can't really think of any other advantages for it. I'll still happily grab it instead of the M3 because of the lower weight if I'm reasonably confident that I won't need more than 200mm.

Oh, there's a dedicated ARCA/Swiss-compatible L-bracket/grip extension for the M1 & M2 but not for the M3 yet.

Bobo helping me ballast the track for my layout at the Great Western Brick Show next month. Of course 'help' in cat terms means 'lie on the bag of 2x10 plates that I'm using'. She's not ours but we are her stand-in staff when the normal staff go on holiday. Taken with the RX10 III.

bobo1.jpg

bobo2.jpg

Bobo helping me ballast the track for my layout at the Great Western Brick Show next month. Of course 'help' in cat terms means 'lie on the bag of 2x10 plates that I'm using'. She's not ours but we are her stand-in staff when the normal staff go on holiday. Taken with the RX10 III.

bobo1.jpg

bobo2.jpg
Are these straight out of the camera JPEG or raw files, noticing the whites blown on the second pic. Thanks.

Another lovely shot Glenn. Where are you seeing them in trees. I've only seen this about 3-4 times over 40 years, and then it's been flocks of Swallows and Martins. Is this just a solitary one?

Thanks Marcia, this was at Loch Lomond. There were about a dozen young and parents flitting about, the young, this is one of them, were in the trees and the parents were bringing them food.

Back