High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

SLO-MO, yes I think it’s 1000 frames per second or some such number!

Nice!
Is this just with the camera lens at 600 or do you use an attachment. Not really done any digging into macro yet but came across some adds that suggest you can get an add on lens?
Sorry I missed your reply Mike, 600mm bare is the best for the rx10iv but yes you can add achromats to the filter threads of the lens.
I use raynox and maruim add on lenses to get more magnification.

Achromats by Ajophotog, on Flickr

Sorry I missed your reply Mike, 600mm bare is the best for the rx10iv but yes you can add achromats to the filter threads of the lens.

Achromats by Ajophotog, on F

Achromats by Ajophotog, on Flickr
No worries, thanks for getting back to me and also the photos of the lenses you use, that's very helpful to know

Took a few macros yesterday with the RX10iv and Marumi +5 Achromat - these were around 150-200mm equiv

Honey Bee by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Face Fly by Mike Smith, on Flickr

They're decent enough but still not in the league of what I can get out of the A7Rii + 90mm (no surprise really!) - see below for contrast, there is a big difference when you look closely (click through to Flickr and zoom in if you are interested :) )

Face Fly by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Still not bad Mike up against the full frame tool, the fly is Tachina fera if you didn't know btw. ;) I get better macro shots from my panasonic g3 and pergear 2x 60mm f2.8 but the rx10 still performs well enough I think. ;)

Made with my ersatz bridge Sony A65 / Tamron 16~300: The Turning Ring at Exeter Docks...

The Turning Ring Piazza Terracina Exe walk A65 16-300 DSC00511.JPG

Interesting photo Andrew but the a65 isn’t classed as a bridge camera, l believe it’s a changeable lens camera if I’m not mistaken.
That's why I call it an "ersatz bridge", with its Tamron 16~300mm

Stretching a point, it's pretty well within a working definition of a high end bridge camera. I like to think that's what its predecessor, the R1 (see post #1401) might have evolved into, if Sony hadn't caught the interchangeable lens bug...

Camera Sony A65 and Tamron 16-300 on papers DSC01407.JPG

One I took from the roof of the
Woodhouse Lane car park in Leeds of the Town Hall and Civic Hall, wanted to see how well they compressed - very happy with the result
DSC01858 v2.jpg

Last edited:
One I took from the roof of the
Woodhouse Lane car park in Leeds of the Town Hall and Civic Hall, wanted to see how well they compressed - very happy with the result

Impressive, at that distance and across major roads atmospheric disturbance would likely cause some image degradation, but the result is pretty good and compression effect is interesting..

Has anyone taken good pictures of the moon or even the planets with one of these? There may be something in this thread but I had a quick look but couldn't find anything so far

Has anyone taken good pictures of the moon or even the planets with one of these? There may be something in this thread but I had a quick look but couldn't find anything so far

I've taken a few with the RX10iv - nothing too spectacular but decent enough I think

Moon by Mike Smith, on Flickr

All l can say is for what l do I'm more then happy with the results from the rx10, only you can say if you need or want more resolution the full frame camera can deliver Mike. Sorry, not that helpful I know. Great shot of the old castle btw. I was looking at some old canon 40d shots of it the other day funnily enough.

All l can say is for what l do I'm more then happy with the results from the rx10, only you can say if you need or want more resolution the full frame camera can deliver Mike. Sorry, not that helpful I know. Great shot of the old castle btw. I was looking at some old canon 40d shots of it the other day funnily enough.
Thanks Alby - yes you're right of course... there's no definitive answer to these kind of questions. I'm up north just now and went for a walk with my better half - within 20 minutes I had a shot of a dipper singing on a rock in the river then a landscape of a mountain in the mist... I know I wouldn't have been bothered to have taken the lenses required to do this on FF so that probably answers my question!

Oh and just as a PS... Topaz labs denoise + sharpen... wow what a piece of software that is especially for a camera like the RX10 :)

Thanks Alby - yes you're right of course... there's no definitive answer to these kind of questions. I'm up north just now and went for a walk with my better half - within 20 minutes I had a shot of a dipper singing on a rock in the river then a landscape of a mountain in the mist... I know I wouldn't have been bothered to have taken the lenses required to do this on FF so that probably answers my question!

Oh and just as a PS... Topaz labs denoise + sharpen... wow what a piece of software that is especially for a camera like the RX10 :)
Yes indeed, denoise ai and sharpen ai are in my armoury and have been for quite a few years now. (y)

Back