High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

1st one for the new year, hope you all have a goodern. ;)

Barn Owl by Ajophotog, on Flickr

"Excellent" wildlife style capture Alby.

" We used to have a guy here in Folkestone, who I think has passed away now that ran an Owl rescue sanctuary and every Saturday he would bring several Owls to the town centre and display them to try and raise some money for his work. Lovely guy who was nicknamed Budgie by the locals"

Three very nice captures Alby, agree with Mike about the mushroom pic'.

Having looked at the reports on the Sony RX10 on paper looks ok. What i would be concerned about is the length of the lens fully extended. My thoughts are what is the chances of sucking in dirt when retracting?

Having looked at the reports on the Sony RX10 on paper looks ok. What i would be concerned about is the length of the lens fully extended. My thoughts are what is the chances of sucking in dirt when retracting?
I've had this second rx10iv for a year now and not had any problems with either of the copies I have owned. I would imagine if that was a problem the internet would shout about it so never seen any reports about it and never experienced it. It must inhale and exhale air by its very nature like any other zoom I would imagine.

Last edited:
Super set Mike, do you set the auto focus to just wide or lock on wide for your inflights?

'lock-on af expand flexible spot' I think! I am hopeless with the different focus modes etc - for years I only ever used spot o_O
Ahh ok, I tend to use normal wide setting but will have to have a bit of a play. it does seem pretty decent in normal wide though.

Mistaken Post :headbang:

Last edited:
Seeing as it's a thread on bridge cameras/superzooms, some pictures taken with the Nikon P950. Zoom in and you'll find problems, they're not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Still, it may be a decent option for someone on a limited budget like I am. My knowledge and experience of cameras is limited, as is my photo editing experience. Keep it simple is my philosophy. The P950 may be a good option for a beginner who would like some nice pictures within the realms of what 800 quid can give you (I believe these cameras are now selling at closer to 500 quid). None of my pictures are taken from bird hides and they're all handheld, I'm a walker, and so for anyone learning and on a budget: it's just a case of get out there, take some pictures and learn from experience what doesn't work and what does. 'Long story short: the P950 can get you some nice pictures at a budget price and you don't need to know much about cameras or photo editing (you'll learn as you go).

Siskin by Paul Young, on Flickr

Brambling by Paul Young, on Flickr

Common Redstart by Paul Young, on Flickr

Wheatear Male by Paul Young, on Flickr

Linnet by Paul Young, on Flickr

Wren by Paul Young, on Flickr

Robin by Paul Young, on Flickr

Pied Wheatear by Paul Young, on Flickr

I agree, a series of superb photos Paul. (y)

Cheers Alby. I think it's fair to say that these cameras need decent light, at least the P950 does anyway, but that doesn't have to be a barrier. On the cloudy days you can get your home and other stuff done or go out scouting for good locations for birds so that you can go back when the light is better.

Cheers Alby. I think it's fair to say that these cameras need decent light, at least the P950 does anyway, but that doesn't have to be a barrier. On the cloudy days you can get your home and other stuff done or go out scouting for good locations for birds so that you can go back when the light is better.
Yes I fully understand as l had the p1000 for a while, l sold that because it was a bit of a beast size wise. I was pretty pleased with some of the results l got from it though, it gave me some incredible opportunities due to the reach.

Yes I fully understand as l had the p1000 for a while, l sold that because it was a bit of a beast size wise. I was pretty pleased with some of the results l got from it though, it gave me some incredible opportunities due to the reach.

Aye, I think the other point is that a picture looks much better when the bird has a sparkle in its eye and you can't get that without sun.

Back