High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Do you know what the crop factor equates to .I.e in my current Olympus it’s a 2X crop factor so a 400mm lens = 800mm in FF terms

Do you know what the crop factor equates to .I.e in my current Olympus it’s a 2X crop factor so a 400mm lens = 800mm in FF terms
Approx 2.7 for the 1” sensor models, so the 8.8-220mm lens on the Sony rx10iv is the equivalent of a 24-600 in 35mm terms.

As said 2.7 did you ever play with a Nikon 1, its the same as that but a lot better sensor

Got a PX deal going through with MPB currently , moving on my backup omd-em1 and buying a a FZ1000ii , it certaintly looks like a good move on paper ,also looked at the Sony range of rx10 mk3 and mk4 but just beyond my price range .. still keeping my main Olympus gear for my main work though .
But never say never things do move on as we all know

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :):)

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK of a young lady playing a Flute (I think), and accompanied by her dog. And yes I did ask if I could take the shot and naturally I put some money in her pot.

RX10M4, 1/320th @ F4.5, ISO-200, Handheld.
Street Performer (6)-03501 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Well the mk1 oly is on its way to mpb . So if things go to plan I should have the fz1000ii by either the weekend or early next week .. I will give it a fair appraisal , I once had a Nikon P900 and that lasted less than 24 hours ..
If I take to it then I might consider selling my Olympus gear in favour of a RX10mkiv as the results I’m seeing on here justify such a move ,and a fast approaching 75th birthday and reduced mobility due to heart failure makes maintaining flexibilty a ever increasing issue ..time will tell

Last edited:
still reviewing lots of stuff on u.tube especially on b.i.f with the rx10/4 even watched one this morning where they pitched it against a A9+200-600 and to be fair while it didn't beat it ,it held its own .. alsolots of tracking vids . trouble is most are video orientated I would like to see some burst stills shots of b.i.f .

I have to admit its a extremely tempting idea .. and panamoz and e.infinity prices take the pee out of u.k prices hhhmmmmmmm:runaway::runaway::runaway:

still reviewing lots of stuff on u.tube especially on b.i.f with the rx10/4 even watched one this morning where they pitched it against a A9+200-600 and to be fair while it didn't beat it ,it held its own .. alsolots of tracking vids . trouble is most are video orientated I would like to see some burst stills shots of b.i.f .

I have to admit its a extremely tempting idea .. and panamoz and e.infinity prices take the pee out of u.k prices hhhmmmmmmm:runaway::runaway::runaway:

Camerapricebuster has it at £1499 at moment and says that is the lowest price in the last year. Also £200 cashback until end of January.
But still more than e infinity at 1059 and Pananmoz at 1160

Camerapricebuster has it at £1499 at moment and says that is the lowest price in the last year. Also £200 cashback until end of January.
But still more than e infinity at 1059 and Pananmoz at 1160
I have used e.infinity in the past but panamoz is the better company . IMHO but that’s a hell of a saving over u.k prices = to almost a third of the cost at this price point .. with current covid restrictions and lack of getting out properly there’s no rush to do anything though

I have used e.infinity in the past but panamoz is the better company . IMHO but that’s a hell of a saving over u.k prices = to almost a third of the cost at this price point .. with current covid restrictions and lack of getting out properly there’s no rush to do anything though

I have used neither (have used HDEW but they don't stock Sony) but when I was researching last year Panamoz were more expensive but they give a 3 year warranty and e infinity give only 1 year - quite a benefit in my mind for the slightly higher price.
As you say the restrictions are depressing. In the summer 'break' from restrictions last year we went to Leighton Moss RSPB one day every week - we have missed that.

I have used neither (have used HDEW but they don't stock Sony) but when I was researching last year Panamoz were more expensive but they give a 3 year warranty and e infinity give only 1 year - quite a benefit in my mind for the slightly higher price.
As you say the restrictions are depressing. In the summer 'break' from restrictions last year we went to Leighton Moss RSPB one day every week - we have missed that.
LOL living in Wales restrictions are far tighter and ARE enforced more , my nearest RSPB site is Burton mere which is not only over the border by a 100 yards but also closed today as its totally flooded . its depressing to say the least just popped down the estuary for a walk parked the car and the bloody heavens opened . sods law

Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of a discarded & dilapidated boat/hull that is just one of the many things that are scattered about the beach that have just been left behind to rot. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasise the rot & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/220 @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld
Discarded Boat (4)-03503 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

well it doesn't look like the deal will be going ahead . not to happy with MPB at the moment ..updates to follow

Good excuse to get the far superior RX10 instead ;)
made a complaint ,not in the least bit happy mike , already got a mk3 being watched on the bay of evil but no rush

My dealings with mpb have left a bad taste and I will not be buying from them though

ah well after the kerfuffle with mpb who are returning my other camera , I have just found and bought a panasonic fz1000ii on e.bay ,bit cheaper and better deal .something to look forward to .. I did consider a used Sony mk4 or mk3 but the price was out of my reach for the use it will get

ah well after the kerfuffle with mpb who are returning my other camera , I have just found and bought a panasonic fz1000ii on e.bay ,bit cheaper and better deal .something to look forward to .. I did consider a used Sony mk4 or mk3 but the price was out of my reach for the use it will get
Glad to hear you got sorted and look forward to seeing some shots posted up! :)

"Flickr Explore"

It always baffles me as to how they make their selections etc. I went absolutely ages without even getting a snap in Explore and then all of a sudden I seem to be one of the flavours of the month or three. I have another snap selected today, that's 27 (I think) during the past three months or so. It's a landscape that I snapped with my RX10M4 from my own vacation cottage at Dungeness and I'm not really even into Landscape style photography and certainly not very good at it compared to what I see on this and other threads on TP. It'll eventually find its way on to this thread I expect but in the mean time I'm quite naturally pleased with the snap being selected but remain totally baffled.

Last edited:
Nice one law unto themselves , I had just under 300 and then nothing for about 5 years plus

Two "Excellent" shots Mike, liking both of these very much with my personal fav' being #1.

the oystercatcher is really good mike .

Jeff, I have been down the route of the Sony Rx10 mkiv and it is a very capable camera. The controls I found quite alien after coming from Canon and Olympus but really enjoyed using it. I am a bit of a fan of bridge cameras though. Here are a couple of shots I took back in July 2019.

Puffin
by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Fulmar
by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Nice work alby , still sat well and truly on the fence ... the Panasonic is delayed in the post , but the guide book came from Amazon today ,heavy reading

Nice work alby , still sat well and truly on the fence ... the Panasonic is delayed in the post , but the guide book came from Amazon today ,heavy reading
I had the Panny fz1000 mk1, it was a pretty decent camera but didn't come close to the Sony preformance. Saying that it is a lot cheaper and I think you will be surprised with the results from it. All in one cameras I think are the way forward for us older folk :D

It’s just arrived ,very impressed so far with build quality ,battery on charge at the moment ,first thing will be a test of reach against the Olympus with its 100-400 lens if there both equal then the Sony is definetly in the ball park . Functions on the Panasonic are unreal way beyond what I think of in a bridge camera ,even the wife commented how clear and sharp the lens was just looking through the EVF

It’s just arrived ,very impressed so far with build quality ,battery on charge at the moment ,first thing will be a test of reach against the Olympus with its 100-400 lens if there both equal then the Sony is definetly in the ball park . Functions on the Panasonic are unreal way beyond what I think of in a bridge camera ,even the wife commented how clear and sharp the lens was just looking through the EVF
Enjoy playing with the panny Jeff, the 100-480 lens against the olly 200-800 isn't going to cut it l think but it's not all about reach.

absolutely correct alby just tried it out about 50% reach and thats without the oly tc . but i'm very pleased with the fz1000ii far better than expected and less noise in images than expected to heres a few test shots as I learn my way around the settings . I won't however be selling the oly gear as planned but will be keeping this camera for back up and jan to use . the macro mode on this is insane the pen was in one hand and camera in the other unreal .
on the fence by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

hand held macro by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

macro test 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
absolutely correct alby just tried it out about 50% reach and thats without the oly tc . but i'm very pleased with the fz1000ii far better than expected and less noise in images than expected to heres a few test shots as I learn my way around the settings . I won't however be selling the oly gear as planned but will be keeping this camera for back up and jan to use . the macro mode on this is insane the pen was in one hand and camera in the other unreal .
on the fence by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

hand held macro by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

macro test 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
So are you not impressed Jeff? These images look pretty good to me, especially given that you’ve only just got the camera.
I’m still going down the RX10 mkiv route but am waiting for funds from the sale of my Oly gear to get it.

I'm impressed with what this camera can do Chris and the Sony should be better , but I would lose a lot of reach to change and not ready for that step yet ,as with the i.4 t.c I get 1150mm reach with i.s .
if future funds allow and I can get a Sony to run alongside this then its a maybe .

I'm impressed with what this camera can do Chris and the Sony should be better , but I would lose a lot of reach to change and not ready for that step yet ,as with the i.4 t.c I get 1150mm reach with i.s .
if future funds allow and I can get a Sony to run alongside this then its a maybe .

This is why i said as much as i like the 1inch sensor bird photography would have to take a back seat for me to use one

been out having a play with settings on the fz1000ii getting the hang of b.i.f ,its certainly no slouch even on a grey horrible day like today , will take a while to get used to what's needed .quite a complicated camera
get off my post by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Just a simple Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of one of the many old boats scattered about the beach that have just been Left To Rot.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/950th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Discarded Boat (5)-03504 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

George.

Busy researching the RX10MK4, looking at what FL most of my images are taken at now and it may fit the bill, will talk to my LCS tomorrow about a deal.

Back