High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Busy researching the RX10MK4, looking at what FL most of my images are taken at now and it may fit the bill, will talk to my LCS tomorrow about a deal.
It looks like a perfect camera for your needs mike . The A/F on this Panasonic is amazing and the Sony is supposed to be better . Those gulls on the post were literally caught out of the side of my eye and got a 3 shot burst in focus .. it does seem to need a low iso in poor light ,though mike .
Perhaps I should have stuck it out for the Sony but the wife seems happy with this .. I will though be keeping all my olympus gear for the foreseeable future

Well its ordered,it may take a couple of weeks and i may not get the cashback due to the way my LCS has to source it.

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book Mike, congrat's & "ENJOY".

"If I'm anything to go by you'll love that unit, if I could keep only one of my cameras then at the moment the RX10M4 would be it"

Last edited:
Well its ordered,it may take a couple of weeks and i may not get the cashback due to the way my LCS has to source it.
Nice one. At least we will get a experienced appraisal

Hi. Long time lurker, I've decided to take on Photography to escape the stress of lockdown and working from home.
Just got a second hand RX10 III and I'm looking for literally any kind of advice you can give. Do I need books, online courses, whatever else? I have some accessories on the way already.
Thanks

Hi. Long time lurker, I've decided to take on Photography to escape the stress of lockdown and working from home.
Just got a second hand RX10 III and I'm looking for literally any kind of advice you can give. Do I need books, online courses, whatever else? I have some accessories on the way already.
Thanks
Congratulations on a good camera choice, and welcome! What advice you might need rather depends on what prior knowledge and experience you already have. A simple starter would be to put it on P and just click away to see what it can do.

Congratulations on a good camera choice, and welcome! What advice you might need rather depends on what prior knowledge and experience you already have. A simple starter would be to put it on P and just click away to see what it can do.
No real prior knowledge, just some things I've seen on YouTube about Iso, shutter speed, aperture. Understandable on the moment but quickly forgotten :)

Is anyone using the Neewer EXT14 ringflash with the Sony R10m4 ?

I have this flash for my main camera a Canon 5d4, but decided to try it on the m4 in manual flash mode on the ringflash.

I get decent photos most of the time, any tweaks to exposure are quite simple - BUT the one issue I have is that if I have the ISO at anything other than Auto or over 4000, after the initial half shutter push to get focus, almost immediately both back screen or looking through the viewfinder goes almost black and I cannot see the item being photographed

Is there anyway around this as there are occasions I would like to use the ringflash with the m4 but being restricted in what I can view at the time of capturing is not really convenient.

got the wife to try out her new FZ1000ii today , only gulls about in the bitter cold but she did well with it and pleased with the results even if distant
flying high by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Is anyone using the Neewer EXT14 ringflash with the Sony R10m4 ?

I have this flash for my main camera a Canon 5d4, but decided to try it on the m4 in manual flash mode on the ringflash.

I get decent photos most of the time, any tweaks to exposure are quite simple - BUT the one issue I have is that if I have the ISO at anything other than Auto or over 4000, after the initial half shutter push to get focus, almost immediately both back screen or looking through the viewfinder goes almost black and I cannot see the item being photographed

Is there anyway around this as there are occasions I would like to use the ringflash with the m4 but being restricted in what I can view at the time of capturing is not really convenient.

Andrew, I don't have access to my RX10M4 or the manual at the moment to check it out, but I found this on the net that should help you.

Sets whether or not to show images altered with effects of the exposure compensation, white balance, [Creative Style], or [Picture Effect] on the screen.
  1. MENU →
    s_menu_shoot2.png
    (Camera Settings2) → [Live View Display] → desired setting.
Menu item details
Setting Effect ON:Displays Live View in conditions close to what your picture will look like as a result of applying all your settings. This setting is useful when you want to shoot pictures while checking the results of the shot on the Live View screen.Setting Effect OFF:Displays Live View without the effects of exposure compensation, white balance, [Creative Style], or [Picture Effect]. When this setting is used, you can easily check the image composition.
Live View is always displayed with the appropriate brightness even in [Manual Exposure] mode.
When [Setting Effect OFF] is selected, the
s_view.png
icon is displayed on the Live View screen.
Hint
  • When you use a third-party flash, such as a studio flash, Live View Display may be dark for some shutter speed settings. When [Live View Display] is set to [Setting Effect OFF], Live View Display will be displayed brightly, so that you can easily check the composition.

As an update - used settings of ISO 100 and a speed of 1/100 using manual mode with the articles settings. My findings were that if I put the aperture down to 2.8 the image was visible, however then the subject was over exposed even with settings right down on the flash. Increasing the aperture to f8 and above the darkness was sadly still the issue but the exposure was coming out better. These were of course hand held shots, so I guess a workaround is if using a tripod I focus using the f2.8, then revise to f8 or more as a solution.

Obviously not always practical to do this if trying to photograph bugs and flies and so on.

However switching Live View Off meant I could infact see the subject regardless of aperture, then it is just a case of getting the exposure correct which is a lot easier.

All that remains is to see if the Live View on/off setting can be allocated to a button, which would make getting the exposure setting quicker.

Thank you for this GK when I was looking I did not come across this, so will give it a try and report thank

cheers

Andrew, I've just tried the settings on my RX10M4 with my old Nikon flash and in my studio with Studio Flash and it works a treat. So I'm, guessin' that's the problem you had sorted.

A short time or two back I was pretty sure this thread was gonna virtually fail as there was only @dibbly dobbler and myself that appeared to be contributing to it on a regular basis. And then all of a sudden it seems to have attracted some other togs and it has come to life again. This for me is good news so keep it up folks and let's see some more images.

George.

Any one suggest a decent battery charger and spare battery for the RX10 4

Last edited:

Thanks have been a long term user of EX-PRo so will look at those.

It came with an exhausted battery not even enough to turn it on so its on my desk charging.

another shot from the wife first time out with the pana-FZ1000ii on Monday ,consistent results and wide open to might be improved by stopping down one stop ,but given its winter light quite pleased .. and its doing well on b.i.f in RAW .
uplift by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Thanks have been a long term user of EX-PRo so will look at those.

It came with an exhausted battery not even enough to turn it on so its on my desk charging.
The NP-FW50 self-discharges if you look at it wrong so finding it flat if it's been left in the camera is not surprising.

Got it charged and have been through the menu cherry-picking settings I would normally use on the Olympus or Panasonic.

Got a couple of points though, I can only sit inside but I can't see tracking working, I have set it and put the camera on AFC, if I focus on a table lamp and keep my finger on the shutter button I would expect the focus box to stay on the lamp if I move the camera sideways but it isn't, it's staying in the center of the evf.

The other is I can't find a shutter or focus priority for the release options.

Any help would be appreciated

Have you set the focus area to Center and set Lock-on AF in settings1 screen 5?

Going through Alex White's book (recommended) I can't find shutter/focus release options but it was a fairly quick look and I could have missed it.

Have you set the focus area to Center and set Lock-on AF in settings1 screen 5?

Going through Alex White's book (recommended) I can't find shutter/focus release options but it was a fairly quick look and I could have missed it.

Thanks

Just checked and i had, trying again it looks like it may be working as well as it can inside.

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple landscape style Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of part of the desolate landscape and some of the things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty type presentation for this snap to bring out some of the textures.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/1400 @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Desolate Landscape (1)-03508 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Nice work George well done

Well i can honestly say i have never got such crap images first time out with a camera, its all down to me not the camera, i shouldn't have been out in the freezing temperature and poor light, still i took them so hopefully the only way from here is up.

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

Last one from today, in fact last one until we get some better weather

DSC00014.jpg

you honestly cant concentrate when its this cold mike . wait till it warms up ... personally I like the results from the pana fz1000ii but its not up with the olympus though . and the wife happy with it

Just a simple candid street style Snapograph taken at London UK showing part of a Trombone that’s being played by someone in a Sally Army band.
I'm also working on a personal project called Faceless and this snap will be included.

RX10M4, 1/160th @ F4.5, ISO-160, Handheld.
Street Performer (7)-03505 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Back