High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Something a little boring but it means so much to me.

I'm so thankful that I discovered and started using the highly capable RX cameras.

You see two years ago today I had a "Heart Transplant" (yes the big one) and one or two other bits repaired at the same time. For quite a while before my operation I was really struggling to walk more than about fifty yards and could hardly carry anything heavy, and for somebody that used to be able to run the distance of a marathon you can imagine that's quite a downfall in health.

So I needed to get some sort of camera that I could manage to carry yet still give me the quality of results that would be acceptable. I tried several small compact cameras that didn't fill those needs and then somebody let me try their RX100M6 unit, well to say the least I was gobsmacked at the results and immediately purchased one for myself and still use it extensively to this very day.

After getting myself reasonably fit again I was severely missing the versatility of my CSC cameras so was on the lookout for a high quality bridge camera. I'd seen results on TP from the RX10 series of cameras and as I already had an RX100M6 I was well aware of what quality could be obtained from that sensor, I just wasn't sure that the lens would be optically as good as my little RX compact. So after reading numerous reviews and speaking to @dibbly dobbler who was using an RX10M3 at the time I decided to purchase an RX10M4. The rest is history, since getting one of those cameras I have hardly used my CSC equipment and at this moment in time have no desire to start using it again. I did however have a small amount of GAS last year and purchased two other Sony cameras one being an APSC unit and the other being a F/F unit together with some lenses. At the moment though I've only messed around with them and taken no more than about a hundred snaps between them. I just love the two RX cameras that I have.

Incidentally although I can't run the length of a marathon now I can comfortably jog for just over five miles without any pump problems whatsoever. So I'm so thankful to those wonderful hospital surgeons & staff that gave me my life back.

I'm so thankful that I discovered and started using the highly capable RX cameras.

You see two years ago today I had a "Heart Transplant" (yes the big one) and one or two other bits repaired at the same time. For quite a while before my operation I was really struggling to walk more than about fifty yards and could hardly carry anything heavy, and for somebody that used to be able to run the distance of a marathon you can imagine that's quite a downfall in health.

So I needed to get some sort of camera that I could manage to carry yet still give me the quality of results that would be acceptable. I tried several small compact cameras that didn't fill those needs and then somebody let me try their RX100M6 unit, well to say the least I was gobsmacked at the results and immediately purchased one for myself and still use it extensively to this very day.

After getting myself reasonably fit again I was severely missing the versatility of my CSC cameras so was on the lookout for a high quality bridge camera. I'd seen results on TP from the RX10 series of cameras and as I already had an RX100M6 I was well aware of what quality could be obtained from that sensor, I just wasn't sure that the lens would be optically as good as my little RX compact. So after reading numerous reviews and speaking to @dibbly dobbler who was using an RX10M3 at the time I decided to purchase an RX10M4. The rest is history, since getting one of those cameras I have hardly used my CSC equipment and at this moment in time have no desire to start using it again. I did however have a small amount of GAS last year and purchased two other Sony cameras one being an APSC unit and the other being a F/F unit together with some lenses. At the moment though I've only messed around with them and taken no more than about a hundred snaps between them. I just love the two RX cameras that I have.

Incidentally although I can't run the length of a marathon now I can comfortably jog for just over five miles without any pump problems whatsoever. So I'm so thankful to those wonderful hospital surgeons & staff that gave me my life back.

An Uplifting story, George. Nice to hear. (y)

George, I’m so glad to hear you’ve come through the other side, of what sounds like a terrible time for you, and your family.
Keep on enjoying both RX series, because you are producing wonderful result.
I have both cameras too, and7 al,:though my photographic skills aren’t up to your standard, both you, and the likes of Mike, inspire me to get better. So thank you (and Mike), and keep posting your inspirational images!

Heart failure was the reason I changed to Olympus ,it was either lighten my load or give up totally .. I did the obligatory gym sessions and lost well over 2 stone , this bloody lockdown with its restrictions has put paid to that and it’s all piled back on again

George, I’m so glad to hear you’ve come through the other side, of what sounds like a terrible time for you, and your family.
Keep on enjoying both RX series, because you are producing wonderful result.
I have both cameras too, and7 al,:though my photographic skills aren’t up to your standard, both you, and the likes of Mike, inspire me to get better. So thank you (and Mike), and keep posting your inspirational images!

Thank you Marcia, appreciate your reply and the lovely comments..

Hi George, inspiring post to us all.

In the past 2 years I have come through 2 serious health scares but seem to be coming out the other side. I used to carry so much with me but these days tend to keep my Canon 5d4 for special outings or experiments as I too needed to lighten the load which I have managed by getting rid of lots of lenses.

I eventually ended up with the Sony RX10vIV after trying several other cameras.

Tried several mirrorless ones but with my eyesight just could not get on with the fiddlineness of them and the lack of a viewfinder, eventually settled on the Sony RX10v3 which I enjoyed for a short while until I saw the benefits of the IV. This now has become my go everywhere lens for all occasions except the rare ones with my Canon gear.

Hi George, inspiring post to us all.

In the past 2 years I have come through 2 serious health scares but seem to be coming out the other side. I used to carry so much with me but these days tend to keep my Canon 5d4 for special outings or experiments as I too needed to lighten the load which I have managed by getting rid of lots of lenses.

I eventually ended up with the Sony RX10vIV after trying several other cameras.

Tried several mirrorless ones but with my eyesight just could not get on with the fiddlineness of them and the lack of a viewfinder, eventually settled on the Sony RX10v3 which I enjoyed for a short while until I saw the benefits of the IV. This now has become my go everywhere lens for all occasions except the rare ones with my Canon gear.

Thank you Andrew, appreciate your reply.

"They certainly are a fine bit of kit by any standard, and I've yet to find a dull spot (if that's what its called) in the lens. I shoot most of my snaps at around F4-F5.6 and that lens is optically outstanding at those apertures"

Some of you may remember that I posted on here that I had a couple of attachment lenses made by a buddy of mine. One being a Macro lens and the other being a Wide Angle lens, well this snap was taken using the Wide Angle attachment lens. The distortion you can see to the edges ie lamp posts leaning out etc is nothing to do with a fault with the lens just my camera angle ie pointing slightly downwards which I didn't correct in PP. The angle of view is pretty much the same angle of view as a 15mm lens would give in FF terms and the focal length of the lens on my RX10M4 was set at 50mm.

Just a simple landscape/seascape type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a "Harbour Scene".

RX10M4, 1/400th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Wide Angle Attachment, Handheld.
Harbour Scene (3)-03520 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George - That's 4.5 miles further than I can jog! :D

Very glad to hear you are in good health and enjoying your photography - it's people like you that make these forums work, you're always ready with a comment or advice and all of us appreciate a bit of encouragement so here's to you, keep up the good work :beer::beer:

Last edited:
George - That's 4.5 miles further than I can jog! :D

Very glad to hear you are in good health and enjoying your photography - it's people like you that make these forums work, you're always ready with a comment or advice and all of us appreciate a bit of encouragement so here's to you, keep up the good work :beer::beer:

Thank you Mike, really appreciate your reply.

"That's not as far as I would like to be able to jog, but after five miles or so the legs still start to ache. They obviously needed to take some piping from somewhere to plumb the replacement pump in if you get my drift and my legs were the preferred choice. My legs had lost so much strength in the time leading up to surgery that they have taken quite a while to get back to anything like normal"

Super photo George - wish I had a lens that could do this

Thank you Andrew, appreciate your reply.

"I'm very pleased with the results so far with this Wide Angle attachment lens and the Macro attachment lens"

Crikey George, ther is a lot of detail in that harbour scene. You have managed a wide angle without somehow losing the scale of the scene. (y)

Thank you Alan, appreciate your reply.

"I think the detail is probably helped by the angle of light etc and a slight bump in clarity & contrast during PP, and as I've said many times before the 24-600mm lens is optically extremely good by any standards on the RX10M4"

Last edited:
"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple Landscape type Snapograph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of a discarded Fishermans Hut with a discarded Fishing Boat in the background of which both have been left to rot. On the right is one of the old railway lines that were used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach from the sea. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the desolate terrain, decay & textures etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/640th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Dilapidated Hut-03518 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

Very nice George - did you use an IR filter?

Thank you Mike, appreciate your reply.

"No filters of any description used, all done manually with no presets using "Affinity Photo". The only filters I have are a ND and a Polarizer"

Errr that’s a female Goosander mike

That is razor sharp George

Back