High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

As I said Mike "disgustingly good" :) my RX10 was delivered on Friday, I'm now learning how to get it set up, the menu's are a bit different to Fuji and Nikon but I'll get there I'm sure.

I've created a thread solely for any "SONY RX CAMERA". There is a thread for the RX100 series and of coarse this thread that includes the RX10 series. But all of the RX cameras innards are similar ie sensors, processing power, focus etc, etc but apart from different lenses and a few other features they are pretty much the same and of equal image output quality.

Neither of this or the other thread mentioned are super active but combined I feel it could work very well, so let's give it a go and see what transpires.

Last edited:
Back out playing with the Sony RX10 IV.

I still cant believe how good the AF is on it. Coming from decades of Canon DSLRs, it seems ridiculous a bridge camera can blow them away when it comes to AF.

kittiwake030422.jpg

Attachments

• oystercatcher030422.jpg
    oystercatcher030422.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
Back out playing with the Sony RX10 IV.

I still cant believe how good the AF is on it. Coming from decades of Canon DSLRs, it seems ridiculous a bridge camera can blow them away when it comes to AF.

View attachment 349037

Very nice wildlife capture Peat.

"Would like to see it along with any more RX shots you have in the "RX United Series Thread" that has been created for any RX unit"

Hi George - I think there may be a rule about 'cross-posting' ie posing the same thing on different threads? Not sure but don't want to risk any infringement of forum rules :)

Hi Mike, not to my knowledge or many others, most members post the same shot in quite a few threads.

After a year with the RX10 IV I’ve not used it a huge amount and I keep getting tempted to switch back to a “proper” SLR.
However then it produces something like this and I think for the portability, why would I!
The only thing I wish for is better low light performance, I think the sensor gets noisy quite quickly as the ISO climbs and I do find myself using DMF a lot to account for the auto focus not being as accurate as I would like.

“599”mm f/4 1/800 ISO100 AF-C spot metering and SOTC
B1DA16E0-A612-49DF-93FB-63F24E0A5FE9.jpeg

Last edited:
After a year with the RX10 IV I’ve not used it a huge amount and I keep getting tempted to switch back to a “proper” SLR.
However then it produces something like this and I think for the portability, why would I!
The only thing I wish for is better low light performance, I think the sensor gets noisy quite quickly as the ISO climbs and I do find myself using DMF a lot to account for the auto focus not being as accurate as I would like.

“599”mm f/4 1/800 ISO100 AF-C spot metering and SOTC
View attachment 350640
Agreed on the noise - definitely the biggest downside of the RX10. I recently discovered TOPAZ denoise and it really is effective - iso800 is completely fine (to me anyway). I posted up some samples back a bit in this thread if you are interested :)

Lovely photos but I think the first one is a wheatear rather than a skylark.
Being totally honest I wouldn't know the difference between the two, birds are not exactly my strong point :) there were some skylarks around as I could hear them singing, thanks for putting me right as I genuinely wouldn't know.

Agreed on the noise - definitely the biggest downside of the RX10. I recently discovered TOPAZ denoise and it really is effective - iso800 is completely fine (to me anyway). I posted up some samples back a bit in this thread if you are interested :)
Yes topaz denoise is an absolute must. Totally and utterly worth the price. Its reduced my workflow time from about 15 mins a photo to about 2 minutes if that.

Back