High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

I have a couple of bags that fit.

The Crumpler Jimmy-bo 400 and the Manfrotto on the left. I have to be careful about recommending the Manfrotto as I think there must be several that look similar, but are different sizes.

A friend of mine saw mine and asked if the one she was looking at online was the same one. I thought it was, (I didn’t have mine with me) but when it turned up it was tiny.

Anyway, the code inside mine says MB SH-66B.

Personally, I prefer using the Manfrotto as the opening is bigger (as is the bag) so I think it’s easier to get the camera in and out.

That said, I don’t tend to use the bags in this way as I carry my cameras on sling straps.

For the record though, the Manfrotto allowed me to fit in my RX10, a Godox TT330, a double battery charger for the camera, spare batteries for the flash and a plug in charger for the flash batteries.

Here’s how they look.
View attachment 387434

I use a Think Tank MirrorlessMover 30i on the basis that, if I can't fit it in then I'm carrying too much. This is an old photo so it's got my RX10M3, HVL-F43M and a tabletop tripod. At the moment it's got my OM-5 with 12-100mm and a bottle of water.
View attachment 387445
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look those up.

First thoughts after a trip away with the Sony.

Size and portability

For me I found it ideal for walking around town with.

I carry my other cameras on a sling and this felt comfortable being on a sling all day. Certainly less weighty than the 5D I carry with a 24-70 lens.

The downside is that the focus dial bottom left of the camera did have a tendency to switch positions.

It's a little bit on the big side for taking on nights out. If I'd had the space, I might have been inclined to also take my little Canon G5 X as well, but this was an experiment to see how I coped with a 'one size fits all' camera.

It's a little more discreet than a FF. But not much. In a club we were in, I was taking pics of my friends (and had the Godox flash on top) and someone came and asked me if I'd take their picture as they thought I was the club photographer. So I think to the untrained eye, it looks way more 'professional' than the little Canon.

Image quality
The more pics I've taken, the less I'm concerned with absolute quality and pixel peeping. No it's not as good as my 5D, but it's more useful in more situations with just one lens.

My Canon G5 X is slightly better for night shots as it also has a 1" sensor, but the lens is 1.8-2.8 throughout. might have given me a faster shutter speed on a couple of occasions.

All that said, in the day I had no issues at all.

Battery
This is one of the only cameras that I've taken out and run out of juice. So I've just bought a spare battery. I think the electronic zoom doesn't help and I do wonder why the zoom needs to be powered. Feels like they could extend shooting time by having a manual twist operation.

Lens
The flexibility of that zoom is properly impressive. I think I said originally that whenever you get something that offers an extreme, the temptation is to just shoot everything at the extreme. Like when you first get a f/1.8, f/1.4 or f/1.2 you go and shoot everything wide open.

That said, shooting from the 9th floor of a building and being able to see the bran of trainers someone's wearing is incredible (if not that useful).

Overall

It's early days, but I like it.

Last edited:
This thread always amuses me, there is no way you can compare the FZ1000 to an RX10

The only similarity between the FZ1000 and the RX10 is they are both called bridge cameras, the RX10 is by far the better camera I would even say it's in a class of its own.

Whos compared the fz1000 to the rx10, have I missed something?

Just look at the title of this thread...:cool:

The only similarity between the FZ1000 and the RX10 is they are both called bridge cameras, the RX10 is by far the better camera I would even say it's in a class of its own.
Only if you're talking about the RX10 IV. The focussing and possibly zoom speed of the FZ1000 are much better than the first two or even three RX10s.

Whos compared the fz1000 to the rx10, have I missed something?

Just look at the title of this thread...:cool:
Sorry don't see it, It just lists a couple of high end bridge cameras to suggest the type of things one might be interested in. I find very little between my RX10 iv, RX100 vii and FZ2000 if I'm honest.

Small Copper Butterfly, nectaring on Wild Strawberry. Panny FZ1000.
No cropping to this image, Canon 500D close up filter attached (as normal).
Im "running" my FZ1000 alongside my Panny G9 for this season, an im impressed with the sheer focus speed of the FZ1000!
Image quality is very good too, an if i need to crop (i rarely crop) the FZ1000 is more than capable.

PS. - As far as this "Thread Title" goes??!!...ive not read it as a direct comparison between "any" high end Bridge Cameras at all.
Cheers Paul.

Small Copper Butterfly, nectaring on Wild Strawberry. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Just picked up a new to me RX10iv.
It's mint. Can't wait to get out and about with it......:D

That's good to hear Bob, they're an "Excellent" camera. "Enjoy".

"I really must start using mine again, and its still the camera I would keep if for any reason I could only have one camera"

Last edited:
Back