High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Thanks very much Bob and Alby - so if I set it up as you have indicated above, I just need to get the bird in frame and it will track it if I fire the shutter?

Sorry I am being thick here I thought there was more to it somehow o_O
Pretty much.
I use bbf so as long as I keep my finger on the button it keeps tracking. I use animal af and af wide as that tracks animals etc. Af lock on only works on human detection

Thought I'd finally throw my hat into the ring and share some photos I took with the RX10 M4 while I was on holiday in France. None of these have been edited except for cropping in from the RAW file.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/198653908@N04/53014475316/in/dateposted-public/

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/198653908@N04/53014635399/in/dateposted-public/

Sadly, the camera may have to go in for repairs...on multiple occasions, while I had the dial on 'MR', the camera kept acting as if I was accessing the memory recall function, bringing up the selection screen while I was in the middle of composing shots. I did a quick search the other day, and it isn't normal behaviour. It was hot in France, but it shouldn't have been doing that when overheating - it might be a component in the camera overheating, and that needs replacing.

Last edited:
Thought I'd finally throw my hat into the ring and share some photos I took with the RX10 M4 while I was on holiday in France. None of these have been edited except for cropping in from the RAW file.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/198653908@N04/53014475316/in/dateposted-public/

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/198653908@N04/53014635399/in/dateposted-public/

Sadly, the camera may have to go in for repairs...on multiple occasions, while I had the dial on 'MR', the camera kept acting as if I was accessing the memory recall function, bringing up the selection screen while I was in the middle of composing shots. I did a quick search the other day, and it isn't normal behaviour. It was hot in France, but it shouldn't have been doing that when overheating - it might be a component in the camera overheating, and that needs replacing.
Nice shots Andrew - sorry to hear about the issue, hope it's an easy fix...

ps - I don't know if you're against editing in principle but that bird of prey would look even better with just a few simple tweaks...

Nice shots Andrew - sorry to hear about the issue, hope it's an easy fix...

ps - I don't know if you're against editing in principle but that bird of prey would look even better with just a few simple tweaks...
Thanks. This was the true test of the camera for me, as I'd only been taking it out on the weekends to practice on wildlife in the UK. I put it through its paces - landscape, street, wildlife and BIF on the fly (the camera is having a bit of a rest now). It's the main reason why I bought the camera, as I don't take many photos over here, it's mostly on holiday in France.

I'm not against editing, especially if it can save a photo.

Thanks. This was the true test of the camera for me, as I'd only been taking it out on the weekends to practice on wildlife in the UK. I put it through its paces - landscape, street, wildlife and BIF on the fly (the camera is having a bit of a rest now). It's the main reason why I bought the camera, as I don't take many photos over here, it's mostly on holiday in France.

I'm not against editing, especially if it can save a photo.
Well you have 'Edit My Images' set to 'No' so I won't post anything but I can tell you there's a great pic in there especially if you have the RAW file :)

Feel free to ignore this if you like, but IMHO, if you're shooting RAW and not doing any PP, you're getting the worst possible deal.

RAW images capture more information than JPEGs and are designed to give you more scope to play with it afterwards. Pushing the shadows, contrast etc. A RAW image SOOC will be flat because it's never really meant to be viewed like that.

If you're planning on not doing any post-work yourself, you may as well shoot JPEG. Your files will be smaller, and the camera will apply one of its own processing algorithms so that you get something with a bit of dynamic range.

I will admit, I've not investigated JPEGs from the Sony RX10 as I enjoy the PP process, but normally you can choose the type of thing that suits your eye and it's all done in camera for you.

Well you have 'Edit My Images' set to 'No' so I won't post anything but I can tell you there's a great pic in there especially if you have the RAW file :)
Feel free to edit the photo. :)

Feel free to ignore this if you like, but IMHO, if you're shooting RAW and not doing any PP, you're getting the worst possible deal.

RAW images capture more information than JPEGs and are designed to give you more scope to play with it afterwards. Pushing the shadows, contrast etc. A RAW image SOOC will be flat because it's never really meant to be viewed like that.

If you're planning on not doing any post-work yourself, you may as well shoot JPEG. Your files will be smaller, and the camera will apply one of its own processing algorithms so that you get something with a bit of dynamic range.

I will admit, I've not investigated JPEGs from the Sony RX10 as I enjoy the PP process, but normally you can choose the type of thing that suits your eye and it's all done in camera for you.
I've set the camera to shoot both JPEG and RAW, so I have access to both (definitely saves time when previewing on the computer). I haven't been editing for long, so I haven't explored its full potential.

Last edited:
Feel free to edit the photo. :)

I've set the camera to shoot both JPEG and RAW, so I have access to both (definitely saves time when previewing on the computer). I haven't been editing for long, so I haven't explored its full potential.

Just a very basic 2 minute effort - as Kell has said you can do a lot more with the RAW file but it gives an idea of what is possible :)

53014635399_7396fdf2fc_o(1) edit2 by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Well done, I would say you have improved it - it's very much personal choice/opinion - but I might have lifted the shadows a bit more as the mountain slopes are very dark and it's a bit hazy generally so maybe a little bit of 'Haze Removal' also but it's very much up to you what you do of course :)

Well done, I would say you have improved it - it's very much personal choice/opinion - but I might have lifted the shadows a bit more as the mountain slopes are very dark and it's a bit hazy generally so maybe a little bit of 'Haze Removal' also but it's very much up to you what you do of course :)
Thanks. I'll learn - these are quick edits to see what I can do. :)

This is it. It's very much a personal thing how you edit as @dibbly dobbler says. I'm not a lover of spending ages working on a picture but having a play and taking things to an extreme then reducing back to a level I like is often the way I do it just to see what's possible and possibly learn (im still waiting for that last bit too happen!)

I'd say that the key word in post processing is the process part. It's ongoing.

I definitely overdid my PP in the early days that I started. And I look back on some of them with a bit of a cringey face. I 'think' I'm more sympathetic these days, but also think that my monitor at home must be very bright as I sometimes view images on other devices and think "Wow, that's dark".

So when is the RX10v going to be released then, any ideas?
And, if there is going to be a V how do you think it'll differ from the 1V?
As you may be able to tell, I'm starting to think seriously about trying one!

So when is the RX10v going to be released then, any ideas?
And, if there is going to be a V how do you think it'll differ from the 1V?
As you may be able to tell, I'm starting to think seriously about trying one!
According to the rumour websites, it'll be released in late 2022 :D
Of course, the actual release data will be the day after you've taken delivery of an IV and not a moment before.

Back