Highlands of Iceland

Maybe it is just me (or my laptop) but the greens just look odd.
Were they really that colour?

The landscapes are as striking as I would expect them to be, so well done there.
The pics look, almost, computer generated.

Just a gorgeous set Alex. I've seen a fair few of these poking up on Twitter, and also seen virtually all of Gregs shots and the video!
Looks like you had a fantastic trip. Top work.

The landscapes are as striking as I would expect them to be, so well done there.

No, it's not just you. I am viewing on a 27" calibrated iMac and 1,2 & 4 look strange to me too. The scenes look great, but it's like details have been lost and the background in 1 & 4 look like painted stage sets, a bit like when heavy noise reduction is used. I wonder if they have lost something when uploading here. I would like to see them full size as I expect they are spectacular.

The last one looks great though, beautiful light.

Asking if the colours are real whilst stating that the greens look 'odd' and the images 'computer generated' seems like you have already made up your mind! I suppose what you wanted to know is whether I used photoshop 'too much'. I can only really suggest that you photograph the Icelandic moss yourself. These images are both enhanced and real.

Here's an unedited raw showing the full view from the first image (I would have posted the original files but its a triple row panorama of 12 images). You can decide to what degree they are real or not. All the images use a similar process.
There is no noise reduction or any processes on any of these images that could result in them looking painted, but I take the point, I do know what you mean. The only area of any of these photos that has been heavily processed is the rainbow which I did saturate fairly heavily.

View attachment 20045

They do look a bit strange (especially number 2) but they make for pleasing images.

Asking if the colours are real whilst stating that the greens look 'odd' and the images 'computer generated' seems like you have already made up your mind! I suppose what you wanted to know is whether I used photoshop 'too much'. I can only really suggest that you photograph the Icelandic moss yourself. These images are both enhanced and real.
I hadn't made up my mind about anything- hence the question.
I have never been there so I don't know the colours. Lighting and vegetation in different places can be weird.
The colours do look odd to me, but if that is what they are like, well, great! :)

pics 1, 2 and 5 in particular look 'super real', as if HDR was used or some PP.

Interesting pics. Somewhere I would love to visit.

The last pic looks like a spaced out Scottish scene. (Stretched horizontally, not high on drugs!)

pics 1, 2 and 5 in particular look 'super real', as if HDR was used or some PP.
Well to satisfy your curiosity I use a curves in photoshop on my images to manipulate contrast by setting local white and black points. Increasing the contrast also increases the saturation and I feel that those adjustments more accurately capture the experience of being there. I dont use HDR, though sometimes I exposure blend (though not in these images). However they are enhanced and I can't stand by them and say that they are totally literal, that is not what I am trying to achieve. The fact is unedited RAW files have neither the saturation of jpegs, nor high contrast films like velvia, personally I think my photos are quite realistic, but they are enhanced.

Here is the unedited RAW version of the last image. Again hopefully you can figure out how much I added contrast to this image.

View attachment 20047

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the last pic- the Raw. I don't really think you have to 'add' anything to it.

I, personally, am more into waiting for the light rather than enhancing. Though I am guilty of using a little bit of enhancement :)

I prefer the last one too.

Have you an original copy of number 2 ?

Cracking pictures and an excellent location. Having been to Iceland that odd spongy moss that colonises the new lava is indeed a very odd green colour. It's not grass which people might think it is.

I, personally, am more into waiting for the light rather than enhancing. Though I am guilty of using a little bit of enhancement :)
The inference would then naturally be that I don't.

I appreciate criticism, I really do, even if in this case it amounts to taste, but I go to extraordinary lengths for my images and I do more than my fair share of waiting!

The inference would then naturally be that I don't.

I appreciate criticism, I really do, even if in this case it amounts to taste, but I go to extraordinary lengths for my images and I do more than my fair share of waiting!
It was entirely about me, no inference was intended- though I can see from my post why you thought that.
I could have phrased it better.

I can see from your images the lengths that you go to :)

Looks like the sort of colours I saw in Iceland.

Good set, hope to get into the highlands at some point but they were out of bounds due to the snow during the spring when we were there.

Congratulations

Just seen your article and image (number 5) on the cover of Outdoor Photogrphy Magazine

Looks much better with the inclusion of the forgeground on the cover version.

Last edited:
A great set Alex. I have enjoyed seeing your images on Flickr and these days just have to walk into a newsagent to see them - and your images are very recognisably yours when seen in print or online.

I think you're well known for going to great lengths to camp in the right place at the right time to get your shots. If I had done that then I'd be editing my images to get the last ounce of drama (or subtlety, whatever the intent) out of them. As long as people don't add an extra sun I don't mind what contrast or saturation adjustments have been made. Anyway, I'm not sure if there is any such thing as an unedited shot (except perhaps on slide film) because any raw processing software or scanning software does some processing before the photographer takes their turn.

Alex, I like that you present your pictures the way you want them to be seen, and you have some stunning landscapes there, Nice work,

Geoff

Back