Beginner Histograms for beginners ?

I skipped a bunch of the replies...

I think the point being made is that the histogram cannot be used to judge exposure unless you know what the histogram should look like in the first place.
Of course, this is just "the foundation" and has nothing to do with what might be possible in post processing, or how you might choose to offset the exposure to take advantage of that.

It's normally the last palette I adjust anyway.

I unmistakably start with the "Levels" tool where DRL is applied…

Level%20tool.png

Here, DRL is not yet applied. :)

Of course, this is just "the foundation" and has nothing to do with what might be possible in post processing, or how you might choose to offset the exposure to take advantage of that.

....Exactly! I would rather spend my time in post-processing the RAW file than lose what is valuable time in the field shooting the subjects.

If an image is looking too over or under exposed while in camera and I can take another shot, then I'll adjust either the aperture or shutter speed or even exposure-compensate (not often) - I don't spend any time studying a histogram when in the field.

I don't think there's any absolutely right or wrong way - We each work differently and all that matters is that the end result is what we individually want to achieve and not even what we think other photographers might consider best! < Birds on sticks on dead flat featureless (boring in my opinion) backgrounds for example.

I unmistakably start with the "Levels" tool where DRL is applied…

Level%20tool.png

Here, DRL is not yet applied. :)

My go to, first tool, is to select the film simulation on my fujis, as it shunts the colour histograms some what. Then to curves, which can do almost everthing else.

To me the histogram helps in getting a good exposure, along with other aids like the blinkies
Would rather have it than not, makes sense to use all the tools we have available.

Think the problem comes when you read articles that say you should try to attain the classic mountain shape.
This article doesn't and if it helps one person it was worth writing, so thanks for your efforts Terry.

Back