hmmmmmmmm new compact time

Name
lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
right people what is the best compact camera out there to replace my ixus 100, i love this camera and so does my over half, so i am going to give it to her and get my self something else for when i am to lazy to carry my D5000.

i have been looking at the LX5, seems good. or is there something else out there, i dont wont anything with changable lens, just point and shot (so to speak)

raw would be cool. i am rubbish with photoshop but really want to learn some more basics.

so people???

I have the Canon G11. Great IQ etc but a lot bulkier than your IXUS. The S90 is nice as well and more able to slip in your pocket.
Some reviews on the LX5 say that there isn't a huge difference between it and the LX3 which is supposed to be a great camera. Even Charlie Waite uses one so it must be good.
Happy hunting

Mike

I bit the bullet on a compact and went for the LX5, the f2 Leica lens and additional range over the LX3 sold that model to me. Amother couple of alternatives are the Canon G12. A very capable camera with full manual modes. In a mag I looked at the other day they put the LX5 up against the new Samsung EX1, and they really rated the Samsung, well worth a look.

If you want a smaller compact, then the Canon S95 is one of the current pick of the bunch and for the size of it, seems pretty hard to beat.

I've got a Fuji F200, which I like but it does has its limitations such as a slow f3.3 lens.
I hope that Father Christmas brings me a S95 or LX5 !

G11's too bulky to be a true compact to me.

I went for a Canon S90 and its been fantastic, im sure the S95 is even better. True pocketability with great IQ.

Either the Canon s95 or the Panasonic LX5

I have a G11 and love the IQ, control layout, custom modes and the macro settings. Bulky? Well yes, slightly (a lot of film compacts were much bigger) but not that bad really.

Either the Canon s95 or the Panasonic LX5

Would seem to be the two smartest choices right now. The trouble is they're just similar, or perhaps that should be different enough to make it a very hard choice.

I recently bought the G11 whilst on holiday so I didn't have to lug around all the big gear.

Amazing camera .......... just shot this one with auto as I hadn't read the manual !!

4952162550_69958d7143_o.jpg

edit: ignore - no RAW with the TZ10

Last edited:
right just had a quick read about the canon`s raw files not being recognized in light room etc, what can be done with them????

I don't use LR, but you will be able to open the raw filed with the Canon DPP software, tweak as required then save as a tiff or JPEG to then use in LR.

LX5 does RAW.

I have the LX2 so the 5 would be my choice.

Back