Hold off installing iOS 6.1 Update

I'm on Three and updated about a week ago but have not had any issues (and I'm using a 4S).

Vodafone ES have not issued any warning, and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Im on vodaphone and running 6.1 and my iphone hs never been better

Message came from Vodafone yesterday:

If you've not already downloaded iOS6.1 for your iPhone 4s, please hold off for the next version while Apple fixes known 3G performance issues. Thanks

I updated both mine and my wife's 4S's to 6.1 on release day, we are both on Vodafone and both our handsets are fine. My iPad (wifi only) is fine too.
Neither of us got a text from Vodafone either!

Rico said:
I updated both mine and my wife's 4S's to 6.1 on release day, we are both on Vodafone and both our handsets are fine. My iPad (wifi only) is fine too.
Neither of us got a text from Vodafone either!

I guess their systems are intelligent enough to only send the SMS to devices that have not yet been upgraded.

I've had horrendous battery issues with various iPhones in the past, so I'll pass until the next update. To be honest, there's nothing in 6.1 that made for a compelling reason for me to update in any case.

thing is, user opinion on this (or any update on any platform) must be taken with a large pinch of salt. there are far too many variables to get any sensible data on issues with an update, different apps, different phone settings etc etc.

one of the comments on the linked article sums it up nicely:

"Even with only a few models there's no way Apple can test every possible edge case of user configuration/carrier/local network condition/running apps etc. I don't believe that Apple's software is anymore buggy than anyone else's, but when you're operating on the order of hundreds of millions of users, even a problem affecting a hundredth of a percent of users still impacts tens of thousands of people, which with the internet, only a few need to be vocal for it to be a big news story."

I personally think Vodafone are scaremongering.

Last edited:
Updated a 4s, 5 and iPad 4th gen, all working as expected without any battery or signal issues.

thing is, user opinion on this (or any update on any platform) must be taken with a large pinch of salt. there are far too many variables to get any sensible data on issues with an update, different apps, different phone settings etc etc.

Agreed. Both phones (4S) updated last week and no issues here.

No issues on EE ipad or iphone.

Message came from Vodafone yesterday:

If you've not already downloaded iOS6.1 for your iPhone 4s, please hold off for the next version while Apple fixes known 3G performance issues. Thanks

That said it's saying i need 2.9 GB of storage to update. 0 free

Looks like I'm still on 5.1.1 anyway LOL

My ipad 3? is fine after update, mind you I still think it knackerred my router for a wee while!

Forgot to say that we're on O2 which means that, every time we upgrade our iOS, we have to change the Cellular data from idata to mobile

My 4s is on O2 and I never have to change anything post iOS update.

My 4s is on O2 and I never have to change anything post iOS update.

Interesting. When I got the 4S, it was on iOS6.0, when I upgraded it to 6.0.1 I lost internet access on it. I contacted O2 who told be to change idata to mobile and that resolved it. When I upgraded to 6.1 I had the same problem. I noticed it had changed back to idata so i changed it to mobile and all was well. :shrug:

neil_g said:
I personally think Vodafone are scaremongering.

That I very much doubt.

Far more likely is that they collected enough statistical data as a result of a spike in support requests related to issues attributed to the update and therefore decided to take action.

This is the first time I can remember Vodafone issuing such a notice in the many years I've been with them.

Anyway, what does stand is that it is always wise to wait before rushing to update anything (with the exception of anti-malware software and critical security updates perhaps).

maybe its a compatibility issue with the Vodafone network from a change to the 4G updates then.

i dont see the problem with installing these updates on the day of release. they are beta tested, if youre that worried have a look for people having issues in testing.

I didn't get a text from Vodafone and did update. My wife hasn't updated yet and also didn't get a text.

neil_g said:
maybe its a compatibility issue with the Vodafone network from a change to the 4G updates then.

Quite likely.

neil_g said:
i dont see the problem with installing these updates on the day of release. they are beta tested, if youre that worried have a look for people having issues in testing.

I wasn't worried, as I never update anything before checking a) Is it essential and b) has it been out long enough to make sure it is safe and stable. That's why in almost all professional I.T. departments, they say wait for the 'lemmings' to do the testing :)

On the subject of beta testing, I don't know of a single reputable tech firm that would release anything without alpha, beta and release candidate testing. That doesn't mean it will be be immune from issues.

Anyway, I was only the messenger, so if you're happy to install zero day updates, then I guess nobody can argue.

Last edited:
That's why in almost all professional I.T. departments, they say wait for the 'lemmings' to do the testing :)

im sure thats what they say, id suggest most dont abide by that. look at how many high profile cock ups have happened recently :) or they dont bother at all, how many IT depts are fundimentally understaffed. or how many packages have automatic update enabled, slightly messy way to go but thats another topic.

either way we not talking core IT systems here needing 100% uptime, we're talking a fairly minor issue effecting a small amount of end users globally. thats good enough odds for most.

but then maybe vodafone should have done some more testing on their own systems. a potential issue for their users and it takes them around a week to warn them? thats sloppy.

On the subject of beta testing, I don't know of a single reputable tech firm that would release anything without alpha, beta and release candidate testing. That doesn't mean it will be be immune from issues.

nope but it should give you a good idea.. :)

neil_g said:
im sure thats what they say, id suggest most dont abide by that. look at how many high profile cock ups have happened recently :) or they dont bother at all, how many IT depts are fundimentally understaffed. or how many packages have automatic update enabled, slightly messy way to go but thats another topic.

What you're describing is not typical of a well run IT dept. that works to ITIL or equivalent methodology. Having operating in both such environments, I can tell you that no ITIL operation would operate in the sloppy way you've described. As for being poorly staffed, that is the ultimate reason FOR waiting for others to test first!

Going back to beta testing, Microsoft have one of the biggest, if not the biggest beta testing programmes known to man. I have beta tested for Oracle / Sun Microsystems, IBM and countless others and trust me, no amount of beta testing would convince the wise to get on the first bus!

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PHONES

Actually, this has everything to do with phones.

What if an update opens a security back door, for an extreme example allowing unauthorised access to your contacts, SMS, photos, email etc? Not possible? think again!

What if you are a corporate user such as us who rely on near 100% reliable 3G and VPN access via 'i' devices, or access to several cloud based services such as hosted Exchange, CRM, or cloud based storage etc?

On the other hand, maybe you are not a business user, but are one of the millions of people in rural parts if the UK who's only access to reliable broadband is via a 3G network.

For some users such as those I have described, their phone (and the services it provides access to) is every bit as important to them as any IT system. For this reason, the risk of a potentially dodgy mobile software update IS critical, therefore I and others always recommend holding off (at least for a few weeks or months). It just makes sense.

Last edited:
Ricardodaforce said:
Weird how Vodafone ES haven't issued the notice though.

Different countries often have very different infrastructure and sometimes operate on different frequencies according to local legal, radio spectrum and other considerations. A problem in one country may not necessarily affect users in another.

Last edited:

I doubt it Vodafone seem incapable of supplying 3G for most of the time! :bang: :LOL:

Having been with them for 3 years or so now, I feel somewhat qualified to make that statement by the way. :D

wibbly said:
I doubt it Vodafone seem incapable of supplying 3G for most of the time! :bang: :LOL:

Having been with them for 3 years or so now, I feel somewhat qualified to make that statement by the way. :D

I must say, having used Vodafone for well over a decade and their network, which was once something you were happy to pay a premium for seems much slower than it used to.

I struggle to get anywhere near the same performance as I once did (even in supposedly good coverage areas).

Last edited:
My contract with Vodafone is up in a couple of months and I will be moving. The service is dire not to mention them upping prices from out of nowhere with just a text warning. I will not be returning to them in the future.

No issues on mine, iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

Last edited:
MarcM said:
That I very much doubt.

Far more likely is that they collected enough statistical data as a result of a spike in support requests related to issues attributed to the update and therefore decided to take action.

This is the first time I can remember Vodafone issuing such a notice in the many years I've been with them.

Anyway, what does stand is that it is always wise to wait before rushing to update anything (with the exception of anti-malware software and critical security updates perhaps).

You think people would call Vidaphone support if their battery wasn't lasting as long?

Last edited:
neil_g said:
go, zero day updaters, go!

:D

Oh do grow up.

Do you have that much of a problem with someone simply passing on information passed onto them?

Ive moved all my contracts away from Vodafone (had a few), now on EE and no problems, Vodafone are terrible now. Got the iOS update on my iPhones and iPad, no bother with it so far *touch wood*.

neil_g said:
someone forgot their sense of humor this morning.. :(

No, I just take issue with 'clever' attempts at a dig by quoting one of my earlier posts.

My 3G is never on anyway cos the battery life with it on was already cack before 6.1!

My 3G is never on anyway cos the battery life with it on was already cack before 6.1!

Considering the battery on a 3G is probably around 4 years old now, thats not surprising. Have you considered a more recent model or even a battery replacement if you really like the 3G too much to replace it?

Last edited:
Back