Hold off installing iOS 6.1 Update

Slaphead said:
Even the remote wipe has limited effectiveness. Anybody who's got hold of your phone for the data will turn the phone off straight away and remove the SIM card. No remote wipe is possible when the device is not connected to the Internet.

The fact that the security on the iPhone can be circumvented to a very limited degree using the phone itself is, I agree, a flaw, but as usual because it's Apple it gets more press than a Paris Hilton wardrobe failure, and as such is presented as more of a security risk than it realistically is. Lets face it, if the flaw was in android then it'd probably only be reported in the tech blogosphere, and maybe only warrant a couple of lines in the major press, if that.

True. Which would also mean that this particular flaw wouldn't work as you need to initiate a call an emergency number :)

Like jim said, if you don't want it getting into the wrong hands don't put it on a mobile device.

True. Which would also mean that this particular flaw wouldn't work as you need to initiate a call an emergency number :)

Like jim said, if you don't want it getting into the wrong hands don't put it on a mobile device.

You can initiate an emergency call with out a SIM card, it's a requirement of the GSM standard. In fact I've just tested it on a SIMless iPhone 4. Theoretically this security blunder will work without SIM.

But you're right, if it's sensitive data then don't put it on a phone, unless that phone supports good, strong, encryption.

Last edited:
But you're right, if it's sensitive data then don't put it on a phone, unless that phone supports good, strong, encryption.

Which is why my friend who works in Information Security has two phones - an iPhone for personal use and a Blackberry for work.

hollis_f said:
Which is why my friend who works in Information Security has two phones - an iPhone for personal use and a Blackberry for work.

Same as me, work give me a Blackberry but my choice for my personal use is the iPhone. I thoroughly despise the blackberry, awful thing in every way bar security.

Last edited:
neil_g said:
Learn something new everyday (y)

And just in case it's 112 :) works in most countries and on any network.

Slaphead said:

Wise words.

neil_g said:
HOWEVER any responsible IT dept should have at their disposal the remote wipe function of exchange as a last resort.

(y)

anyway, if 6.1.1 has fixed the bug and the vodafone issue there isnt any reason not to upgrade to it now..

Exchange Remote Wipe and Find My iPhone are both easily circumvented, but that's another matter!

Did 6.1.1 fix the security issue? I didn't look, so it's good news if it does.

Back