Beginner Holding heavy/long lenses

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
Some may find this interesting or useful if they've been trying to deal with heavy lenses for the first time. The first 8 minutes show the theory when used for shooting but after that you can see how it can be applied to photography too! Just something I stumbled across :)

Most of us will probably hold a heavy lens close to our body but facing 90 degress away from your subject also helps a little more I think

Would have been good if he actually used a heavy lens in the video like a 300mm or 500mm lens

Would have been good if he actually used a heavy lens in the video like a 300mm or 500mm lens

I guess he doesn't have one :p The 70-200mm isn't exactly light but yes, there are much heavier lenses.

The theory still stands though regardless of what lens you're using :)

That guy looks a bit like an old Matt Damon :p

But yes, basically the same stuff :)

Or you could combine them. 500/4 w/ gripped body shown; I normally use it with a D4/D810 gripped and 400/2.8 (usually w/ TC @ 800mm).

500mm_standing.jpg

I've never fount photo sniper a particular advantage over just holding the camera properly with one hand on the body and one on the lens / lens foot.... also in this day and age i'm not sure making your camera look more like a gun is a wise move

also in this day and age i'm not sure making your camera look more like a gun is a wise move
Never had an issue, and no-one has ever reported having an issue. Quite the contrary actually; the people with guns/cameras know the difference. But I don't walk around the city with it. If you can normally handhold 7+ kgs stable for any length of time I would be impressed.

Never had an issue, and no-one has ever reported having an issue. Quite the contrary actually; the people with guns/cameras know the difference. But I don't walk around the city with it. If you can normally handhold 7+ kgs stable for any length of time I would be impressed.

yeah but the paranoid pillock in the street doesnt

I can imagine that grip would make it easier to get elevation whilst still being able to keep your elbow tucked in against your body.

The only issue there is that you've got very little chance of reaching for your zoom ring quickly if you've got a zoom lens. I guess most big lenses are primes so not a huge issue but my 200-400 has both a zoom ring and a decent amount of weight lo.

Totally unscientific but I've just tried Joe's technique on my 24-70 @70mm and managed to get down 1/5 using this technique and VC as opposed to 1/25 with jut VC. Ive not tried the big lens yet

Edit...

Just tried the Sigma 120-300 Sport @ 300mm, for those who don't know, when combined with a gripped 5d3 the combined weight is nearly 5kg! When combining resting the body on my shoulder along with VC I managed to get down to 1/13. Again thats nearly 5 Stops!

Last edited:
Totally unscientific but I've just tried Joe's technique on my 24-70 @70mm and managed to get down 1/5 using this technique and VC as opposed to 1/25 with jut VC. Ive not tried the big lens yet

Edit...

Just tried the Sigma 120-300 Sport @ 300mm, for those who don't know, when combined with a gripped 5d3 the combined weight is nearly 5kg! When combining resting the body on my shoulder along with VC I managed to get down to 1/13. Again thats nearly 5 Stops!

Yeah it seems pretty good on my 7d2/200-400 combo

I've always tried to keep it close to my body before but generally I've had it in front of me and even just having it off to the site makes a bit difference in making it easier to get the lens up :)

Back