Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

It's not bad but not a patch on modern AF, have you considered putting a shot of brandy in the kids orange squash? That should slow them down a bit.

:LOL: I'm finding the good and bad points of AF.....saves setting the focus to something nearby so when the person walking towards you reaches that point, you can fire the shutter....but the annoying part is:- quite a few times it doesn't auto focus on what I want. :shrug:

Forgot: Sometimes I see AF zooms at boot sales (don't know if they are modern or old), so will any later zoom work with this camera.

Last edited:
Picked up this olympus OM-10, 50mm f1.8 and a skylight filter for £20. i thought the filter was scratched and ruined at first but after a clean, it looks mint! :)

TpqkrCfl.jpg

excuse the poor quality shot taken with my phone

Nicely done. When you bore of it you'll sell the lens for about that amount and some chap might buy the OM10 for the pentaprism which will fit the System bodies.

You wild profiteer, you!

On another forum I was saying that a preset 135mm f3.5 Galaxy lens must be of some use as it has 15 blades. Anyway some of the shots I took with it are good...............but mention Galaxy and it's :thumbsdown: even if you paid 50p for it. :shrug:

Galaxy 135mm f3.5 preset, M42, 15 blades...must be worth at least £2

:LOL: I know you secretly want this lens, but it wont work on your OMs :LOL: :wave:

Zo, you fail to realise, Mr Bond, that as an evil maniac, I haf ze M42 adaptorz for ze OM mount and ze Canon DSLR and zis is how i shall take over ze wurld!!!

been using it for the past couple of weeks, i doubt i will ever get bored and sell it ;)

Great news, indeed. How many more OM bodies are you hankering after?

I have been lurking i here for some time and feel it's time to reveal myself to the rest of the group and confess I want to shoot some film!!

Well it was my birthday and it would have been rude not to buy something photgraphic with my funds.. Wouldn't it?

Three camera's all cheap enough

Agfa Isolette with Agnar lens and National fan flash

Agfa Isola I

Beirette Junior II with a free Watameter

I have an Agfa Billy on the way bought for me by a friend for my birthday too, pics to follow :)

ijd6.jpg

Hey, welcome to the Dark Side, John! Where are the cookies????

Nice little trio you have there, although good luch getting bulbs for that flash unit (I think I've got one like that somewhere, too!).

You haven't said what film you're trying yet. And we want to see piccies made by the cameras, not just of the cameras!

Good luck, and enjoy it all, the pleasure and the frustration!

Hi Chris.

I have a box of Ilford XP2 400 B*W film here waiting for loading and I am wondering if I want to try putting it into one of the 120's with some packing for some B&W prints with sprockets included or go for the easy or easier 35mm Beirette Junior II route. I forgot to mention I have a battered but beautifully blinged with DIY blue leather Nikon FM2 which is also on my list of projects to try out. The Ilford at £6.50 a roll O_O and processing on top of that will mean I will be on a go slow as there is no £1.00 Super Saver film in Blackburn :(

Mr Hill (Cowasaki) said he will help me with my first processing so I can see how hard/easy it is although the chems may be a problem as all the labels have fallen off over time. Has anyone any idea which chemical tastes of what?? :LOL:

:cautious: i have been mooching round 2nd hand shops for 35 years.! i have found for part display and part use.. some lovely ( well to me they are!) wee cameras!
will post some pictures of them soon
ive always been a bit scared of using them, if known to work, that is
Em:cautious:

canon ftb with 50mm 1.8 canon lens and hoya skylight filter for a fiver.. now to see if it actually works!

At a local boot sale to
me someone was selling a Pentax K1000 looked in good condition
they were asking £45

I thought it was over priced ? so walked away

Was it overpriced ?

If it had the f1.4 Takamar on it then no, if body only then yes.

If it had the f1.4 Takamar on it then no, if body only then yes.

It had a aftermarket zoom that was worn out , the zoom ring would travel forward and back if you tilted the body and was loose on the barrel

Last edited:
At a local boot sale to
they were asking £45

Was it overpriced ?

It had a aftermarket zoom that was worn out , the zoom ring would travel forward and back if you tilted the body and was loos on the barrel

Overpriced. That lens is worth nothing, and the body attached to a lens like that might not be in good condition.

As a side note, K1000s are heinously overpriced on the used market - a KX or MX make much better buys.

At a local boot sale to
they were asking £45

Was it overpriced ?

Well done, some of the boot sellers think because a camera is old it must be worth big money.....don't forget you can always make an offer of £15 with lens as if the seller is getting a bit cheesed off not selling anything and wants at least to cover the cost of being on the site...he\she might accept or settle for say £20.

Well done, some of the boot sellers think because a camera is old it must be worth big money.....don't forget you can always make an offer of £15 with lens as if the seller is getting a bit cheesed off not selling anything and wants at least to cover the cost of being on the site...he\she might accept or settle for say £20.

I walked past the stall on the way back to the car about 1 hour later and it was still on the table

I walked past the stall on the way back to the car about 1 hour later and it was still on the table

And buyers don't recognise a bargain when they see it :eek:....about 2 months ago a seller had a excellent Zenit em (or something like that) with case, Helios 44-2 lens and Galaxy 135mm f3.5 that had 15 blades all for £1...well I thought I'd give someone else a chance, anyway about an 1hour later it was still there so I bought it.....the point is:- the Helios 44-2 lens is very good, and as it's preset for apertures, can be used on any M42 camera or film camera(with adapter) or DSLr (with adapter) or Nex etc, so if you see one for a £1? Grab it.

Last edited:
Does anybody need any 35mm rangefinder cameras? There's about 5-6 in a local charity shop, most notably 2 Olympus Trip 35s for £5.99 a piece. There was also a Rank Electra rangefinder, i'm unsure which model though, it seemed pretty big for a rangey though. There was also a Kodak Retinette 1B for £8.99 but i couldn't work out if the shutter was firing or not, could have done with taking the back off to be sure :LOL: there was also some others but i can't remember which now :LOL:

Only reason i didn't buy them was because i'm trying to get rid of cameras, not buy them :LOL: I know i could probably make afew quid out of buying and selling but i'm not sure i can bothered with the hassle for such a small amount :/

I know i could probably make afew quid out of buying and selling but i'm not sure i can bothered with the hassle for such a small amount :/

;) Well - now you've mentioned the prices on here, you obviously wouldn't be able to sell 'em on here anyway and "make a few quid" or you'd end up getting reported under the "profiteering" clause in the classies rules... and obviously, you'd NEVER want that to happen would you... :)

;) Well - now you've mentioned the prices on here, you obviously wouldn't be able to sell 'em on here anyway and "make a few quid" or you'd end up getting reported under the "profiteering" clause in the classies rules... and obviously, you'd NEVER want that to happen would you... :)

H'mm best not to mention you got it cheap then :shrug: Does that rule apply if you bought a lens at a bargain price but would exchange it for another lens at say both at Ebay value? And surely there must be a time limit as if you bought a lens at bargain price say 6 months, a year or 2 years ago, what's the problem at selling at ebay prices now?

Last edited:
Frankly, If I'd mentioned a price I'd bought anything for, and wanted a better price, I'd sell it elsewhere - personally I don't go into the classies, so wouldn't see it unless it was RTM'ed - and until it crosses my transom that way, I don't really give a stuff when it comes to the old kit we like - BUT if you think someone WILL remember you bragging you bought it for 3p and a Bazooka Joe Wrapper at the Car Boot Sale, and you're wanting to sell it/swap it on here - then be prepared that it's HIGHLY LIKELY to get RTM'ed and acted upon.

Frankly, If I'd mentioned a price I'd bought anything for, and wanted a better price, I'd sell it elsewhere - personally I don't go into the classies, so wouldn't see it unless it was RTM'ed - and until it crosses my transom that way, I don't really give a stuff when it comes to the old kit we like - BUT if you think someone WILL remember you bragging you bought it for 3p and a Bazooka Joe Wrapper at the Car Boot Sale, and you're wanting to sell it/swap it on here - then be prepared that it's HIGHLY LIKELY to get RTM'ed and acted upon.

H'mm well Mark....I'm sure there are many buyers who want a lens and don't care how much the seller bought it for esp if it's cheaper than ebay or shops :shrug: and as long as the seller is not Joe Bloggs from a temporary caravan site, I can't see any problem...but there you go :shrug:

Brian - the rules were there when I signed up for the forum, and I agreed to them at that point - presumably you did the same - I'm not saying they're right or wrong - I'm just in the position of occasionally having to remind people that they exist.

If I point out that I'm unlikely to see transgressions unless someone RTM's then you can draw your own conclusions from it. My feelings are pretty clear on the Classifieds as a Whole - I've gone on record and said that we should close them and let everybody buy and sell elsewhere because they constitute probably 60% of all the moderating hassle we get (the other 40% being down to Dummy Spitting on critique various or Wedding threads)

AAMOI is it the site owner who makes the rules? And if all the moderators agree could they influence the site owner?

I'm just a minion mate.

Though in fairness, we do occasionally try and tweak the rules - some of the totally unenforceable ones have recently bitten the dust (though we still get people reporting that someone's broken a now-non-existant rule)

Everything that's in place at the moment has been discussed and agreed by a strong majority of staff and owners (generally with me mumbling in the corner saying "just shut it down, we're not blimmin Fleabay")

i had no intention of any rule breaking or profiteering off the fine film and conventional section on here :) Just a simple heads up to see if anyone wanted me to pick one up for them as they seemed a good price, with the proceeds also going to charity :) (if that's against the rules then allow me to apologise now)

I find it hard enough to sell cameras that i've had for a long time and have proven to never use, never mind a new camera that i "might" make use of one day :LOL: if i did buy them to sell i would just end up with a larger collection, but that's just me :bonk:

Last edited:
I never thought you did Andy, sometimes I make posts like the above as a "pre-emptive strike" to prevent some people starting a RTM storm in the staff room - a sort of "ah, he's already on it" kind of thing.

As I've often said, until you end up on the staff, it's hard to appreciate the number of RTM's even innocuous posts get. Ironically, the best people out there for pointing out minor potential transgressions are the people who've been banned from the classies or infracted. Mainly they RTM with a "I got banned for this... why haven't they? - Either discipline them or re-instate me..." message - and get a reply of "Because someone spotted you, an now you've spotted them - thanks for your assistance"

We do quite a bit "behind the scenes" which unless ther're on the recieving end of it, people don't see... Occasionally a gentle, light hearted warning post can save an almightly amount of work in the staff dungeon ;)

:LOL: ;)

I never thought you did Andy, sometimes I make posts like the above as a "pre-emptive strike" to prevent some people starting a RTM storm in the staff room - a sort of "ah, he's already on it" kind of thing.

As I've often said, until you end up on the staff, it's hard to appreciate the number of RTM's even innocuous posts get. Ironically, the best people out there for pointing out minor potential transgressions are the people who've been banned from the classies or infracted. Mainly they RTM with a "I got banned for this... why haven't they? - Either discipline them or re-instate me..." message - and get a reply of "Because someone spotted you, an now you've spotted them - thanks for your assistance"

We do quite a bit "behind the scenes" which unless ther're on the recieving end of it, people don't see... Occasionally a gentle, light hearted warning post can save an almightly amount of work in the staff dungeon ;)

Well exposing snitchers would help to cut down your work, as who wants to admit they are a snitch and face the members .;) Anyway in British law you are allowed to face your accuser (well unless your James Bond in secret stuff) and would be interesting in a thread\forum set aside for arguing.

a) :nono: I don't like the way you're calling your fellow forum members "snitchers" Brian - just because you don't like the rules, doesn't mean they don't apply to you.

b) If "they" do RTM something that is a valid rule transgression, they're helping the community work better, so that's good thing - even if it DOES cause some work

At the end of the day the people asked to "MOD Up" are selected because they have generally already shown a willingness to contribute to the community, so we're not averse to putting in a bit of graft - HOWEVER if a simple comment can avoid half a hour of writing up user-notes etc. then it's normally a good idea. Even spending the last half hour or so (in bits) trying to explain the thought processes behind some of our stuff is not wasted (at least on some members - of course, there's always some awkward sod who's going to whine about things no matter what you do!)

a) :nono: I don't like the way you're calling your fellow forum members "snitchers" Brian - just because you don't like the rules, doesn't mean they don't apply to you.

b) If "they" do RTM something that is a valid rule transgression, they're helping the community work better, so that's good thing - even if it DOES cause some work

At the end of the day the people asked to "MOD Up" are selected because they have generally already shown a willingness to contribute to the community, so we're not averse to putting in a bit of graft - HOWEVER if a simple comment can avoid half a hour of writing up user-notes etc. then it's normally a good idea. Even spending the last half hour or so (in bits) trying to explain the thought processes behind some of our stuff is not wasted (at least on some members - of course, there's always some awkward sod who's going to whine about things no matter what you do!)

Well I'm sure 99.9% of members in this forum are ok as usually if someone could be breaking the rules would say so in a post which is all open.
But someone did snitch on me here and I was innocent... for an advert I saw somewhere, the moderator believed the snitcher without even talking to me and deleted my post, and I was so annoyed I added the raspberry when posting to the moderator and was warned I could have been temporarily banned (or something like that)...and all because of a snitch.
Anyway the moderator said he would reinstate my post, but never did so someone might have missed a good buy.

Last edited:
Hey, hey, hey! Excuse me chaps. Please.

I come to this particular forum (F&C) because it's a haven of peace in a troubled world of photography forums where point scoring, self-congratulation and "I'm the big I am and you're a nobody" seems to abound. Page 11 of this thread is most out of the ordinary and, imho, quite out of character with Film and Conventional and rather unwanted.

Please, if you chaps aren't minded to kiss and make up, might you take your discussion out of this particular thread? I haven't got the energy to look whether you're now completely off-topic or just slightly so.

Come on chaps, it's the weekend.

Hey, hey, hey! Excuse me chaps. Please.

I come to this particular forum (F&C) because it's a haven of peace in a troubled world of photography forums where point scoring, self-congratulation and "I'm the big I am and you're a nobody" seems to abound. Page 11 of this thread is most out of the ordinary and, imho, quite out of character with Film and Conventional and rather unwanted.

Please, if you chaps aren't minded to kiss and make up, might you take your discussion out of this particular thread? I haven't got the energy to look whether you're now completely off-topic or just slightly so.

Come on chaps, it's the weekend.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: But this thread could dry up as who is going to post a bargain when if they eventually decide to post it in marketplace, someone could report them for profiteering. :shrug:
OK subject change...nothing decent at boot sales in 3 weeks :crying: it seems too many people are looking for good film gear esp lenses.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: But this thread could dry up as who is going to post a bargain when if they eventually decide to post it in marketplace, someone could report them for profiteering. :shrug:
OK subject change...nothing decent at boot sales in 3 weeks :crying: it seems too many people are looking for good film gear esp lenses.

When my springer thinks she can get away with something just one last time, I stop, give her an old fashioned look, :rules: raise the first finger of either hand :nono: and she knows, she really knows that she's right on the edge of a telling off. :bat:

It's usually enough. :wave:

Actually I remember when this thread rose up in dudgeon against a poster who had clearly ripped someone off thinking he'd made a good deal but only succeeding in generating a good deal of approbrium for himself.

To get the thread moving again and off topic:- At the bootie today, I was looking at bags of non photography stuff when the seller seemed cheesed off and said everything in the bags is free.....lucky my hands were in there first and got 10 dvds of films (some still sealed), egg timer, nice small radio, nice 8X30 binoculars, new spray lens cleaner and new address book..oh and a gold lined cup and saucer with printing in gold "a present from fort William" wherever that is :)

Back