Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

I have already posted in the New Film Toy thread - I bought a Coronet 6-6 yesterday for £1 at the annual Rotary Club charity sale.

Steve.

Well I have had some bargains from that Oxfam, including my tripod for £5 and a Pentax-M 135mm lens for £10. The online shop is odd, though; the "dedicated band of volunteers" sometimes obviously don't have a clue, as in this listing which gives the dimensions of the lens but not the focal length, aperture or fit!

Well I have had some bargains from that Oxfam, including my tripod for £5 and a Pentax-M 135mm lens for £10. The online shop is odd, though; the "dedicated band of volunteers" sometimes obviously don't have a clue, as in this listing which gives the dimensions of the lens but not the focal length, aperture or fit!

£30 for a Promaster 135mm lens f2.8 :eek:.....better to buy a Vivitar (Komine) 135mm f2.8 for less or even Canon

To be fair to Chris, he's right. I've had a couple of bargains off the Oxfam website but you need to keep an eye on new arrivals. However, there are also a lot of overpriced items but to be fair, they are trying to make money for a charity!

Cheers
Steve

To be fair to Chris, he's right. I've had a couple of bargains off the Oxfam website but you need to keep an eye on new arrivals. However, there are also a lot of overpriced items but to be fair, they are trying to make money for a charity!

Cheers
Steve

Well someone must be buying their stuff as every shop or warehouse (or where ever they store stuff) would be filled to the ceiling ;) But I used to take my mother shopping every week and would visit Oxfam and others and only bought a couple of things in Oxfam in about 5 years....one was a nice jacket for £5 and the other was an Epson inkjet cartridge for £1.

This was in a Charity Shop in Brentwood, Essex-- it was not working -- someone had taken off the lens ans not screwed it back properly so all the photos were coming out wrongly focused -- I took off the lens and cleaned the elements an got the correct thread started -- then I took a few and the shutter packed up ! Well, I tried many times and left it for about a year , then had another go -- suddenly the shutter worked -- not perfectly as the release did not set it off , only if I pulled the setting spring at let it go then shutter went -- so i took it out again and here are some results on outdated film ---

Selfix 12
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Selfix test 05
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Selfix test 03
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Selfix test 06
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Oh I like those Pete, is that the 12-20 or the 820? I had a 12-20 and a 16-20 and they were both excellent, my problem was that being red/green colour blind I couldn't see through the red window so kept missing the number when winding on. Nick (Raglan Surf) gave me a little red light which means I can now see the numbers..hooray... I am definitely thinking of getting another one maybe an 820 this time.for those lovely 6 x 9 negs.

Andy

Ah just had a look on flickr and I see its the 12-20.

Peter, those are some NICE results from a once-dead camera! That must be a great feeling...

Thanks -- well I meet my old Friend Brian out in the town sometimes when I am out with 'Old Cameras' and he 'poses' for me to test the results ! I have several 'Ensign Selfix' cameras now all given, two 16/20 model I with the 75mm f4.5 Ensar lens, this 12/20 with 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens and a 820 from my Auntis Dora with Ensar lens.
My first 'Good Camera' was the 16/20 Model II with 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens -- I took it to Germany when I was there in the British Army and got some quite good photos of Berlin in ruins, the I got sent to Iserlohn back in the British Zone. It was £24-10-3d in 'old Money'

Selfix ad
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Well Pete, I'm inspired and have just re-bought a 16-20 model iv for £27.75, comparitively a real bargain against the original cost, it's boxed and has the original receipt as well. An 820 next I think.

Well Pete, I'm inspired and have just re-bought a 16-20 model iv for £27.75, comparitively a real bargain against the original cost, it's boxed and has the original receipt as well. An 820 next I think.
That's £27.75 you could have put towards your Pentax 67, Fuji GS645, Bessa blah blah blah ;)

Thats just pocket money man, I've got an offshore account in the Cayman Islands for the big stuff. :banana:

The Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash goes for next to nothing on ebay. The last two I bought cost $12 with free shipping for the pair. A few snaps with expired Portra 160NC and lens was flipped:

7164155317_a849a978fd_z.jpg

7349366638_06159b1ed1_z.jpg

7164154435_7af37a2eb2_z.jpg

last two mentioned before cleaning
7927717710_12eeace969_z.jpg

Last edited:
i just bid on 3 Canon EOS 100f bodies, untested. I won them for £1.04p with £5 post. if any of them work they might be my cheapest camera ever.
However i use an Olympus Superzoom 70G that i got for £2 at a boot sale, i use it with cheap print film and get scans done.

Our local (Kenilworth) Oxfam has a bunch of cameras and lenses, including 3 Nikon F70s marked "spares or repair" for £4.99 each! There's a Canon EOS 3-something; there was also a T-50, can't remember if it's still there, and a couple of Minoltas, one old (possibly a SRT-101) and one much newer(possibly a 7000), plus a very new looking Praktica (possibly a BX20, which might be £19.99). I took some phone camera shots of the window, but on my ancient V3i it turns out they're not readable!

The lenses may not be that interesting; range of off-brand zooms etc. There was a Minolta case that looks like it's for a 300mm lens, but inside is a Minolta 70-210 zoom, in what looks like retty nice condition. I think it was one of those one-touch zoom and focus zooms, which can suffer from zoom creep. £19.99 I think. Not sure which Minolta mount...

I thought I would remember the detail better, but can go check if anyone wants...

Chris, your Oxfam seems to get a good range of kit, better than anything I see out here in the flatlands. My parents live at Balsall Common so I think I need to call into Kenilworth when I next visit them!

Adrian, it's very variable. Apparently they have a man who receives all the donated camera kit, cleans it up and prices it, but some time ago he moved, possibly to Southampton. Now they hang on to all donated kit in the back room until there's enough for him to drive up and fetch away. Until just after Christmas, they had had no cameras for about 6 months, and then 3 shelves turned up all at once!

A Canon Sure Shot from the CAFOD shop for £1.50. I'm hoping that this might have a decent lens. It's coated which is a good sign. I'm not sure what these sold for when new. I'm guessing round about £40. I ran one film through it photographing a stormy high tide. That was a disaster, as the lens got covered in spray and water (as did I) and all the shots were out of focus. The camera still appears to work though.

Here's hoping

Last edited:
The Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash goes for next to nothing on ebay. The last two I bought cost $12 with free shipping for the pair. A few snaps with expired Portra 160NC and lens was flipped:

Great pictures and loving the flipped lens look. So much so that I have just bought one from over the Pond and can't wait to have a go.

Great pictures and loving the flipped lens look. So much so that I have just bought one from over the Pond and can't wait to have a go.
Loving the flipped lens look, I might have to whip the front off the 55mm f1.2 and see what happens.

very nice set, fantastic colours and really lovely ethereal look to them!

Well, from the same shop...

View attachment 7303

Halina AF810D in the centre, Pentax espio 738 on the left and an oly trip xb3 on the right.
Haven't been able to test the Pentax yet due to not having the correct battery but the other two work fine.

Not a bargain at all but I just had to post this up, somebody's just paid £520 + postage for a 2ndhand Nikon 50mm f1.2 when they can be bought brand new for £520 inc postage from Amazon.

Not a bargain at all but I just had to post this up, somebody's just paid £520 + postage for a 2ndhand Nikon 50mm f1.2 when they can be bought brand new for £520 inc postage from Amazon.

The must like the thrill of the chase and put a premium on that!

Following on from @ruyle 's post the Brownie Hawkeye Flash has arrived.

Having cleared 50+ years grime from the viewfinder and taking lenses it's quite a nice looking little camera.

BHF
by wickerman6, on Flickr

I flipped the lens so it was a bit hit and miss as to where the sweet spot was focus wise. Here are a couple of test shots. Both taken on T-Max100.

scan0008-1
by wickerman6, on Flickr

scan0005-1
by wickerman6, on Flickr

Really nice retro box, David. Can I ask, why flip the lens?

Thanks Chris.

Flipping the lens gives the picture a certain "look" with a sweet spot of focus in the centre of the frame, the remainder of the frame being a blur. I think that the second of my two pictures demonstrates this best. Ruyle's pictures further up this page show the effect well.

You don't have to flip the lens and I'm tempted to pick up another to shoot in the normal way.

Following on from @ruyle 's post the Brownie Hawkeye Flash has arrived.

Having cleared 50+ years grime from the viewfinder and taking lenses it's quite a nice looking little camera.

BHF
by wickerman6, on Flickr

I flipped the lens so it was a bit hit and miss as to where the sweet spot was focus wise. Here are a couple of test shots. Both taken on T-Max100.

scan0008-1
by wickerman6, on Flickr

scan0005-1
by wickerman6, on Flickr
David, I have got to get one of those!

This is probably the wrong place to put it, but just to flag up that @Spooky has mentioned his school may be getting rid of a bunch of tanks, enlargers, chemicals etc; if he gets the OK he'll post in the F&C sale/wanted, IIRC.

Got an Ebay steal, Sea&Sea Motormarine II EX with Strobe flash, spare seals, what looks like brand new Batteries all round a couple of rolls of film and a spare seal kit. Cost £11! Luckily the guy lives down the road from me too so no postage.

(eBay Picture)
$_12.JPG

I think this kit would have sold for the best part of £1000 10-15 years ago!

Bought a Cosinon 135mm f2.8 for a tenner today! :D I didnt even know what mount it is, just felt I had to buy it because the aperture blades were snappy, oil free and the glass was in great condition apart from small amounts of dust :p Does anyone know what mount it is and whether I would be able to use it on a Canon DSLR? The apertures are normally in the "closed" position, and when the activation bit at the back is pushed out of its normal position the lens stops down if that helps. Thanks

Last edited:
Back