Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

I have lots of cameras that someone paid hundreds of pounds for in the 70's, 80's, 90's or even the 00's. It's one thing I can thank digital for, bringing some great cameras into my limited budget's range.

I only ever bought one camera new and that was the Praktica BX-20 kit with 50mm, 28mm, 70-210mm, 2x Teleconverter and BX-24 flash. Everything else was way too expensive in the 80's.

I have lots of cameras that someone paid hundreds of pounds for in the 70's, 80's, 90's or even the 00's. It's one thing I can thank digital for, bringing some great cameras into my limited budget's range.

I only ever bought one camera new and that was the Praktica BX-20 kit with 50mm, 28mm, 70-210mm, 2x Teleconverter and BX-24 flash. Everything else was way too expensive in the 80's.

Well I wouldn't pay more than £15 for an OM 10 now that I can compare cameras :D. I was lucky not to get the "must have" bug for 35mm as I switch to MF (but I suppose have lost money for those cameras if I sell)....as my Pentax S3 bought in 1960 lasted me through (and still use it occasionally now) and my father left me his Nikon EM and used the two until 35mm cameras and lenses were going for peanuts.
It's amazing when things are going cheap how you accumulate things...I've just counted twenty 50-58mm lenses and fifteen 28mms :rolleyes:

Good buy for a starter @ £2.50 @ the bootie and the lenses should be quite good for sharpness esp the 50mm.
Ricoh KR-10, Rikenon 50mm f2 and Tokina 35mm-105 f3.5-f4.3 with close focus button.
Everything works except the needle doesn't show the F no for shutter speed selected (maybe I should give it a bang o_O), but the exposure system is working as when selecting "auto" it seems to work from dark to light.

Good buy for a starter @ £2.50 @ the bootie and the lenses should be quite good for sharpness esp the 50mm.
Ricoh KR-10, Rikenon 50mm f2 and Tokina 35mm-105 f3.5-f4.3 with close focus button.
Everything works except the needle doesn't show the F no for shutter speed selected (maybe I should give it a bang o_O), but the exposure system is working as when selecting "auto" it seems to work from dark to light.
My flea market KR-10 didn't work (focus is misaligned), but I use the Rikenon 50mm f/2 on my Pentax P30T, and it's nice and sharp. I've just finished a roll of Portra 160 with it this weekend in fact.

The charity shop in my locality have all got new managers and they have over priced everything, now they are wondering why nothing is moving.:(

My flea market KR-10 didn't work (focus is misaligned), but I use the Rikenon 50mm f/2 on my Pentax P30T, and it's nice and sharp. I've just finished a roll of Portra 160 with it this weekend in fact.

I've already have a KR-10 super, but bought the lenses for £1 each and offered 50p for the camera (all were separate among electrical stuff) as it didn't fire, but like the OM cameras they jam if no batteries...so took a gamble for my 50p o_O:D

Just a thought Nige:- are you the sunny 16 guy? do you want the body for the cost of 2nd class post.......as if using this camera on manual would need that or a separate exposure meter, as I have the Kr-10 super and doubt I'll ever use it.
Incidentally IMO the Kr-10 super has a crappy exposure system where in the viewfinder you get flashing arrows top and bottom and I suppose the idea is you select either the top or bottom arrow :( The needle in the Kr-10 I would prefer h'mm if working.
If not interested I might take the top off to see why the needle doesn't move...can't think where it would be, probably somewhere near the prism, if no luck it's for spare screws.

Just a thought Nige:- are you the sunny 16 guy? do you want the body for the cost of 2nd class post.......as if using this camera on manual would need that or a separate exposure meter, as I have the Kr-10 super and doubt I'll ever use it.
Incidentally IMO the Kr-10 super has a crappy exposure system where in the viewfinder you get flashing arrows top and bottom and I suppose the idea is you select either the top or bottom arrow :( The needle in the Kr-10 I would prefer h'mm if working.
If not interested I might take the top off to see why the needle doesn't move...can't think where it would be, probably somewhere near the prism, if no luck it's for spare screws.

Thanks Brian, that's very kind of you, but I'll pass on the offer if you don't mind. I'm trying my best not to acquire any more cameras unless they're something I've particularly got my eye on (a potential fool's errand, I know :) ) .

Well, the camera together with another Zeiss 50mm F2.8 screwfix lens was £5 so a bargain - even if I use it as a paperweight lol
At that price you can't really go wrong. (y)

Plenty of info about the AF35M on the internet via a Google search. As long as it works OK then you should get some good looking shots out of it, particularly on sunny days. Reading some of the reviews should give you some tips on how to get the best out of it. I have the later, slightly banana-shaped model, which I keep in the car for those moments when I spot a nice scene and think "I wish I'd got a film camera with me'! :)

Hmm I am new here....is there any way to post photos to this thread without going through the motions of hosting them somewhere on the web?

I'd love to share some surprisingly good results I've had with the likes of Halina 35X and Kodak a no2 Brownie among others.

Hmm I am new here....is there any way to post photos to this thread without going through the motions of hosting them somewhere on the web?

I'd love to share some surprisingly good results I've had with the likes of Halina 35X and Kodak a no2 Brownie among others.

Welcome to the F&C section and the wonderful world of film. Once you've got the hang of how to post photos on here then why not have a think about entering the Brownie Box Camera Challenge? There should still be enough time for you to register and take a suitable photo. :)

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/brownie-box-camera-challenge-registration-thread.649482/

Last edited:
Great buy for a beginner at the bootie today:- MTL3 with 50mm Tessar, 35mm Flektogon and 135mm Sonnar all in a foam filled Ally case...I know the seller and he wanted £30 but reckon I could have got it for £25. I didn't buy because I have the lenses and a later model of the MTL3 series.

I'm guessing this has pretty limited appeal, but Eurocarparts are selling 5litres of de-ionised water for £1.49 delivered, but only this weekend! Worth it for developer or stock solutions if you're picky about your local tap water quality, and instructions on how to get it are at the link. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/de...litres-inc-free-delivery-eurocarparts-2808275

It's gone up to £2.29 when you click on "view site and get deal" Oh wait forgot to add promotion code and now it's £1.49 (y)

Last edited:
Got mine today..big box from DHL with lots of padding, h'mm when you think RM charge £2.90 for a small packet 2nd class......so this bargain must be an invite to consider buying more stuff from them.

Couldn't resist this at the bootie for a fiver (of course I don't need them):- The better EOS 300 V with 28mm-90 AF in a small real leather camera bag, inside were two AA rechargeable batteries and four Tesco color 400 ISO films. The site https://dexter.pcode.nl/?dx= is saying Agfa but the net says Ferrania ? h'mm :(
Anyway the zoom works testing on my EOS300, but can't test the EOS 300V as I haven't got two 3v batteries

Last edited:
Great little cameras the 300 series, I have a 300X and it's light and easy to carry around. One of my favourite EOS cameras.

I picked up a Mamiya/Sekor 500TL for £10 from the flea market this weekend along with a Fuji Instax Wide for £2. I also bought a couple of Nikon Pre-Ai lenses off eBay for a total of £64. A 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor and a 200mm f4 Nikkor Q for my Nikkormat FTN.

Great little cameras the 300 series, I have a 300X and it's light and easy to carry around. One of my favourite EOS cameras.

I picked up a Mamiya/Sekor 500TL for £10 from the flea market this weekend along with a Fuji Instax Wide for £2. I also bought a couple of Nikon Pre-Ai lenses off eBay for a total of £64. A 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor and a 200mm f4 Nikkor Q for my Nikkormat FTN.

The 300X supercedes the 300v. Well I hope this EOS 300V works as it has adjustable dioptre for the viewfinder...as said it takes two small 3v batteries so put a small 6v battery in with a lead to the battery lid and no signs of life......h'mm the only proper way to check is the proper batteries maybe Poundland do them as they do the 6v ones.

No they don't do CR2s, I wish they did the number of cameras I have that use them. You can get them for a reasonable price from eBay. Don't any of your other cameras use them?

No they don't do CR2s, I wish they did the number of cameras I have that use them. You can get them for a reasonable price from eBay. Don't any of your other cameras use them?

Only single 6v ones :( so if I bought the 3v ones and the camera doesn't work then they will just stay in a drawer unused...shame about Poundland as it would be worth a £1 to see if the camera works.

Doesn't the 300 take the CR2? I have several cameras including compacts that take them.

The EOS 300 is sensible and takes two AA batteries....my Yashica T5 takes a 3v battery but it's empty anyway I need two for the 300v. :(

Are you sure you have an EOS 300? I have an EOS 300 and it definitely takes 2 CR2 batteries. See also: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_300

:eggface: you're right Maarten, bloody ordered two online for nothing :rolleyes: Anyway put them in the 300v and it came alive.. and great for the first time in umpteen years could see a sharp picture in the viewfinder without spectacles (y)
So guys if you want a very cheap AF camera and wear spectacles get the EOS 300v or EOS 300x..just to add my Nikon AF 90x although no dioptre adjustment for the viewfinder would take manual AI lenses which can be useful and shame on Canon as their AF cameras wont take old FD lenses..well they did bring out a FD to EF converter but they are as rare as hen's teeth and would think with extra glass would degrade the performance of the FD primes.

You can get screw in lenses to adjust the dioptre of the Nikon F90x. This one is the only one that comes up for the UK but there are plenty from international sellers https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302479663123

Thanks Steve but to me £16.50 is a silly price and waiting for one to turn up for £6-£7, also do have a continual search on the bay for other Nikon dioptres as well...also for the circular rubber screw on ring to prevent scratching my spectacles.

It is to me too, it was just an example. I've bought four cameras for that in the past. My Nikon F3 only cost me £15.

Back