Holiday camera dilemma..

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D850 with a bunch of lenses.
I want something smaller to take on holiday, and as a general camera to take with me most of the time.
I've looked at 'pocket-able' offerings like the Panasonic TX100, which is just so small that I couldn't get my hands to feel comfortable, and am now looking at things like the Panasonic FZ1000 or even the 2000, which are much nicer to hold (for me)
But, given that tiny size is obviously not going to happen, should I maybe start to widen my search to include m4/3rds..?
Ideally I'd like a fixed lens, and a big zoom range, but I did own an Olympus OMD EM1 mk1 and loved it in so many ways, but it didn't quite have the picture quality I wanted, but as a second camera it might be perfect apart from the lens changing, but then again...
So, any suggestions as to what I should add to my list???
Budget is fairly open as I don't know what there is and what the cost vs picture quality is..

I can recommend the TG-5, goes underwater as well. Has many bells and whistles in the menus, and if you are familiar with the Oly menu's, then it will work for you...

Only con is that its a bit expensive, may be a 2nd hand TG-4 might be a little cheaper.........:)

I have a few... The old Fuji XF1 (my old one doesn't have the overexposure problems the later ones have) is even smaller than the TZ100 but has no viewfinder, hence my purchase of the TZ100. The TZ100 still slips into a shirt pocket but the touch screen is a PITA when you use the viewfinder (I almost always do since it has a dioptre correction thingy - vital for me when I'm wearing my contacts!) The Fuji X ?0 are great but don't fit in a shirt pocket - the X30 is the best of the bunch IMO - no OVF but the EVF is pretty damn good! Would have bought a Sony RX100 but I don't like the pop-up VF and the zoom range is limited compared to the TZ100. IQ is great though.

You could take a look at the Panasonic LX100 but I don't know if the zoom range will be adequate. Other than that I've been impressed with the image quality of the IMO very reasonably priced Panasonic GX80. You may be able to restrict yourself to a body and one lens (they do a 14-140mm) but I think I'd be tempted to also have a wide aperture prime, maybe a 17 or 25mm f1.8.

I have the EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 as my 'travel camera' instead of lugging my D850 (previously D750) and I find the IQ more than acceptable. For the types of shots I take on holidays there really isn't much to tell them apart at normal viewing sizes. All the Barcelona and New York pics (as well as others) on my Flickr are taken with the EM1. I'm not saying they're award winning pictures by any stretch, but they are more than good enough 'holiday snaps' for me. I'm not allowed to dedicate holidays to photography so I'm never trying to achieve masterpieces ;)

The "problem" with the little Fuji range ( xf1, x20/30 ) is that when the light goes, you'll struggle for IQ. IMO, I wouldn't go above iso800 for these.

What about a x-t10/20 and a 18-55 f2.8-4 ? Maybe not enough zoom though

In terms of pocketable, you probably can't beat the rx100 range but they don't suit everyone due to tiny size and menus..limited zoom too

Oh, the desire for a perfect camera will never close..

These days I leave all my Nikon gear at home and take a Fuji X100T and a GoPro.

Found it very liberating on a recent trip to Italy and have loads of trips organised for this year including Colorado, Mumbai and Hong Kong along with a few city breaks absolutely determined to not bring anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - I'll do some proper googling when I get back to a computer...
I have looked at the Sony Rx10 iii, was steered away from the Rx10 iv in a store who seemed keener on the panasonic fz2000 (which I do like) and the more I think about this the more I am learning towards something with an absolute minimum of a 1inch sensor and possibly bigger. Also, a super zoom range is pretty essential, up to 400mm equivalent at least.
An olympus em1 does appeal, but I think that I'd end up with a bag of lenses.
I'm no closer to a decision yet, sadly, so please keep the suggestions coming...

Panasonic fz1000 would seem to fit the bill.i had one and found its versatility and adequate iq very good

Panasonic fz1000 would seem to fit the bill.i had one and found its versatility and adequate iq very good
I know you did, and I think I bought it from you...! It was for a friend, so I only had it for a couple of days but yes, it fits the bill in many ways - the Fz2000 feels even better in my hands though some reviews say its more of a hybrid (video and stills) than the 1000 and I've never yet shot any video..

Couple of thoughts;

I've had the FZ1000 and have now swapped to the V LUX 114 (identical) and can safely say, all rounder, its utterly great. The AF is fantastic, quality that can be extruded is brilliant with bags of detail. I like the little things like the in camera RAW processing, direct AF area selection and the wealth of AF modes. Ideal for every situation and a blisteringly fast drive rate, for example.

The other one I'm going to throw in the ring.. is the Powershot G3X. Now, this still has a 1 inch sensor and the quality, once you've processed RAW on the Mac, to me, seem better - even just slightly - than the V Lux/Panasoinc. Things I love about the G3X - built in flash which is bouncable - utterly ideal for when you don't have a flashgun on you but want a little more subtle lighting. The touch screen is ideal for moving around the AF point, and of course the zoom lens - 24-600mm. The ISO, I'm very happy with, even at high ISO there are bags of detail. Things I hate, however.. the speed in a joke. AF, you have pretty much zero chance of anything moving at a bird like pace.. a plane in the distance is okay! The drive rate is a joke - the LCD blacks out in between shots so no chance of following.. Lack of Viewfinder could be seen as an issue, however I have purchased one which I take with me if I feel I've got the space. If not, its a damn fine screen anyway! 4k video is a shame - even if its just for the 4k photo option the V Lux offers which would help combat the lack of speed with the G3x. On a different note, the G3X upgrade line will have be at the front of the queue!

To further back this up, I'll bob in some pictures later on with a link to the dropbox so you can see. I'm in a similar quandary for our trip next month to Lake Garda - Leica V Lux, Canon G3X or M6 and two lens... I have a strong strong feeling it might end up being the G3X!

Hope this helps!

Ok - so you are used to a D850 and I imagine, decent glass. Your issue is going to be that when you see images from compacts or 4/3 it will not compare to what you are used to. I did have a Canon S95. Not bad in good light but I started to take it out less and less.

What about the Fuji X100T (or F). Its a DX sensor, so IQ is DSLR quality and ISO performance is very good too. Yes, it is a fixed 35mm and it is big for a compact (will just fit in a pocket) but its a great camera, jpg look great sooc, lots of manual controls if that's what you are used to.

I took it to Orlando and Sth Carolina last year, leaving the D750 at home. Nice and light, easy to carry round, and there were not that many occasions when I missed a great shot due to length.

Ok - so you are used to a D850 and I imagine, decent glass. Your issue is going to be that when you see images from compacts or 4/3 it will not compare to what you are used to. I did have a Canon S95. Not bad in good light but I started to take it out less and less.

Just like to say that there'll be quite a difference between the likes of an S95 and MFT and IMO you shouldn't really be even beginning to think about lumping MFT in with compacts.

Couple of thoughts;

I've had the FZ1000 and have now swapped to the V LUX 114 (identical) and can safely say, all rounder, its utterly great. The AF is fantastic, quality that can be extruded is brilliant with bags of detail. I like the little things like the in camera RAW processing, direct AF area selection and the wealth of AF modes. Ideal for every situation and a blisteringly fast drive rate, for example.

The other one I'm going to throw in the ring.. is the Powershot G3X. Now, this still has a 1 inch sensor and the quality, once you've processed RAW on the Mac, to me, seem better - even just slightly - than the V Lux/Panasoinc. Things I love about the G3X - built in flash which is bouncable - utterly ideal for when you don't have a flashgun on you but want a little more subtle lighting. The touch screen is ideal for moving around the AF point, and of course the zoom lens - 24-600mm. The ISO, I'm very happy with, even at high ISO there are bags of detail. Things I hate, however.. the speed in a joke. AF, you have pretty much zero chance of anything moving at a bird like pace.. a plane in the distance is okay! The drive rate is a joke - the LCD blacks out in between shots so no chance of following.. Lack of Viewfinder could be seen as an issue, however I have purchased one which I take with me if I feel I've got the space. If not, its a damn fine screen anyway! 4k video is a shame - even if its just for the 4k photo option the V Lux offers which would help combat the lack of speed with the G3x. On a different note, the G3X upgrade line will have be at the front of the queue!

To further back this up, I'll bob in some pictures later on with a link to the dropbox so you can see. I'm in a similar quandary for our trip next month to Lake Garda - Leica V Lux, Canon G3X or M6 and two lens... I have a strong strong feeling it might end up being the G3X!

Hope this helps!
It does, and thank you !
Focus speed and a viewfinder are both important to me, but the V Lux 114 sounds like its worth a look...

What about the Fuji X100T (or F). Its a DX sensor, so IQ is DSLR quality and ISO performance is very good too. Yes, it is a fixed 35mm and it is big for a compact (will just fit in a pocket) but its a great camera, jpg look great sooc, lots of manual controls if that's what you are used to.

I took it to Orlando and Sth Carolina last year, leaving the D750 at home. Nice and light, easy to carry round, and there were not that many occasions when I missed a great shot due to length.

Yup, image quality will take a hit... I do however need a big zoom so the X100 or any other fixed focal length is out for me.

Just like to say that there'll be quite a difference between the likes of an S95 and MFT and IMO you shouldn't really be even beginning to think about lumping MFT in with compacts.

I'm happy to include MFT in my search - having never really thought about a second camera I really don't know what I want or will need, as I'm not sure what I'll end up using it for..!

It does, and thank you !
Focus speed and a viewfinder are both important to me, but the V Lux 114 sounds like its worth a look...

...I'm happy to include MFT in my search - having never really thought about a second camera I really don't know what I want or will need, as I'm not sure what I'll end up using it for..!

I'd be asking myself what the Leica offers over the Panasonic.

On MFT, I've been with MFT since just about day 1 and whilst these cameras are never going to give you the image quality you'll get from FF cameras (I have a Sony A7) when pixel peeping they're more than a match for older FF cameras (I used to have a 5D and the latter MFT cameras are better) and they're perfectly ok for whole picture viewing.

MFT often impresses me, if you get a minute have a look at a ISO 16,000 squirrel picture here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-g-series-owners-thread.262800/page-264

Not saying MFT is the answer to everything :D but maybe worth a look, if you want a smallish camera and lens combination that'll still give you decent quality. And one nice thing is that many of the lenses are sharp from wide open and that certainly helps.

Last edited:
I did a month in Australia recently, with a stopover in HK, and just took my X100F plus WCL. Never needed anything more.

I'd be asking myself what the Leica offers over the Panasonic.

On MFT, I've been with MFT since just about day 1 and whilst these cameras are never going to give you the image quality you'll get from FF cameras (I have a Sony A7) when pixel peeping they're more than a match for older FF cameras (I used to have a 5D and the latter MFT cameras are better) and they're perfectly ok for whole picture viewing.

MFT often impresses me, if you get a minute have a look at a ISO 16,000 squirrel picture here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-g-series-owners-thread.262800/page-264

Not saying MFT is the answer to everything :D but maybe worth a look, if you want a smallish camera and lens combination that'll still give you decent quality. And one nice thing is that many of the lenses are sharp from wide open and that certainly helps.
I had an em1 mk1 which I loved, but ultimately it didn't do low light/high iso and shallow depth of field well enough for me to keep it as my only system - however, I am tempted to look again. However am I going too far away from something simple (ie a pocketable travel/bridge camera) - a question that only I can answer I guess.

There's the fixed lens LX100 but the zoom range may be limited for what you want and another point you may want to think about, I've always been nervous about spending a lot on a fixed lens camera just incase the sensor gets contaminated. I know that a fixed lens camera may well be better sealed than an interchangeable lens camera and I know that my nervousness may be a little irrational but I can't shake the thought of being stuck with dust bunnies I can't clean away.

Olympus do a couple of super zooms add them to a E-M1 or E-M1 Mkii (or any of the more recent OM-D line) and you have a very capable, compact camera with a significant zoom range.
You obviously lose out on low light performance and you pay for convenience with the PRO lens.

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c...zuiko_digital_ed_14_150mm_14056_ii/index.html
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c...o_digital_ed_12_100mm_1_4_0_is_pro/index.html

Personally I use an E_M10 Mkii and a combination of the EZ 14-42mm pancake zoom, cheap 40-150 and a few primes for my complete kit.
I never feel burdened by the weight and I'm happy with the quality but I'm not comparing to anything like the D850

I know you did, and I think I bought it from you...! It was for a friend, so I only had it for a couple of days but yes, it fits the bill in many ways - the Fz2000 feels even better in my hands though some reviews say its more of a hybrid (video and stills) than the 1000 and I've never yet shot any video..
Also the iq is supposed to be worse,can't remember which review maybe depreview

I disagree, I have the D850 but use the EM1 and 12-40mm for travel as I said and in normal viewing sizes the IQ hit is not that big, I am always more than happy with the results for these kinds of photos. There is no way you can compare m4/3 to the Canon S95.
I had the Fuji XT1 but prefer the images from the Olympus. Just as sharp but with better (imo) rendering.

Each to their own as to what they prefer obviously, but don't underestimate the m4/3 cameras ;)

Buy a Billingham Hadley Pro. That'll take your D850 and a couple of lenses with room to spare. Admittedly, you'll need to remove the lens from the body. But that's unlikely to be a problem if you're using the camera.

Remember the old adage, "The best camera you have is the one you have with you." Why not carry the best camera you have?

Just a thought.. My M6 and 18-135 and 200 2.8 is still pretty compact.. Admittedly only 300mm equivalent but.. the cropping potential is much more than with the V Lux/G3x etc..

I have the EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 as my 'travel camera' instead of lugging my D850 (previously D750) and I find the IQ more than acceptable. For the types of shots I take on holidays there really isn't much to tell them apart at normal viewing sizes. All the Barcelona and New York pics (as well as others) on my Flickr are taken with the EM1. I'm not saying they're award winning pictures by any stretch, but they are more than good enough 'holiday snaps' for me. I'm not allowed to dedicate holidays to photography so I'm never trying to achieve masterpieces ;)
Just followed you on flickr, some fantastic images you've taken, Morgan Freeman has very waxy skin tones, you sure it wasn't a Fuji ? :D;)

I'm taking my EM-1 ii to Florida soon, really looking forward to not worrying about weight and size, it's a nice step up from a compact and just feels so comfortable in the hand. Still miss my Fuji's though.

Last edited:
Just followed you on flickr, some fantastic images you've taken, Morgan Freeman has very waxy skin tones, you sure it wasn't a Fuji ? :D;)

I'm taking my EM-1 ii to Florida soon, really looking forward to not worrying about weight and size, it's a nice step up from a compact and just feels so comfortable in the hand. Still miss my Fuji's though.
Thanks. Lol yes, unfortunately all cameras can give waxy skin in that scenario ;)

Thank you everyone for the input, even if I'm still unsure what I need, want or can afford. Part of me is leaning towards an Olympus omd em1 mk1, another part wants the Panasonic Fz1000, Fz2000 or even a Sony Rx10. The opportunity to get hands on in Cornwall is small, but I have held each of the above, and actually used/owned both the em1 and fz1000 so both have familiarity on their side.
Not sure what to do, but will keep my eyes on the classifieds to see what comes up...

Here is my take. You buy camera and it’s just what you want. So why look for another. Work out how you take your camera on holiday.

Here is my take. You buy camera and it’s just what you want. So why look for another. Work out how you take your camera on holiday.
You are forgetting the bit about wanting something smaller for everyday use... Even on holiday ,when I travel light ie in flight bag only, my D850 and a couple of lenses will take up almost all of my luggage space. When I am working taking a bridge or similar-sized camera is a feasible proposition, a big backpack isn't...

I am currently travelling Japan, Taiwan, HK, Shanghai and have been carrying my D850 with me for the last month. It is quite heavy even with just a 50mm.... I should have brought my little HasselBlad Stellar with me, which is based on one of the Sony cameras - brilliant for the walk around stuff, but the D850 has been superb at the night time food markets.

But it’s not what he wants for holiday, it’s too big and heavy. Another thing to think about is if you go on package hols you’re normally only allowed 5kg hand luggage. Bear in mind hand luggage often weighs over 2kg, but the time you’ve stuck in a D850 and say 24-70mm you’re up to your weight limit. No way would I put my camera in the hold.

Finally I find mirrorless more convenient on hol, being able to hold it up over the crowds and still have good AF in live view, the benefit of IBIS to save needing a tripod, another two reasons why I prefer to take my EM1 over my D850.

I wouldn't take anything but an RX10 on holiday (substitute FZ1000 if you prefer) but which RX10 is the question. The original and the II were the size and weight that made them attractive to me; the III & IV are much larger and heavier, losing that initial attraction. I've just picked up a s/h RX10 II to use on our cruise next month as the 280g saving over the IV is worth it to me and I know I can live without the longer lens when what I often used to use was just a Nikon 16-85mm on a D5100.

I’m in this similar boat too but I don’t really wanna spend anymore than £300. So I’m looking at the Panasonic TZ70 or the Sony HZ60. I’m normally a Canon man and normally stay with that brand. So if anybody knows of any Canon that are similar spec and quality I would like to know.

Back