Holiday disruption by JSO

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Just Stop Oil is planning on targeting holiday flights this summer. They've abandoned glueing themselves to roads and will be targetting Labour (and,maybe Tory MPs.) but Labour mainly, wanting them to rescind drilling licenses awarded by Sunak & Co.

From the article:

"Protestors want to halt flights by glueing themselves to runways, storming terminals and climbing onto jets to cause crippling delays.An undercover reporter for the Mirror saw the group welcome serial protestor Phoebe Plummer back with a roar - before she announced "disruption on a scale that has never been seen before".

This bright ..straight A* grades...twenty-two year old women sounds to me like someone looking for a cause..any cause. She threw soup over a Van Gogh painting in the National Gallery and was sent to prison for involvement in the shutdown of the M25 motorway during a peaceful demonstration in Central London.She was brought up in her parent's £4million Chelsea mansion and went to a £45,000 private school. Her parents must be very proud of her.

Last edited:
Just Stop Oil is planning on targeting holiday flights this summer. They've abandoned glueing themselves to roads and will be targetting Labour (and,maybe Tory MPs.) but Labour mainly, wanting them to rescind drilling licenses awarded by Sunak & Co.

From the article:

"Protestors want to halt flights by glueing themselves to runways, storming terminals and climbing onto jets to cause crippling delays.An undercover reporter for the Mirror saw the group welcome serial protestor Phoebe Plummer back with a roar - before she announced "disruption on a scale that has never been seen before".

This bright ..straight A* grades...twenty-two year old women sounds to me like someone looking for a cause..any cause. She threw soup over a Van Gogh painting in the National Gallery and was sent to prison for involvement in the shutdown of the M25 motorway during a peaceful demonstration in Central London.She was brought up in her parent's £4million Chelsea mansion and went to a £45,000 private school. Her parents must be very proud of her.

Which is hardly going to get public support - how stupid are these people.

If they do disrupt then we need serious punishment as a deterrent - 3 years inside!

Bet you many of these will have flown in last 12 months though!

I am not flying anywhere myself but trying to impose your views by threats and force is not on. We have a democracy so we are free to vote as we choose on this issue. The fact is that while we must reduce oil consumption, it will not stop completely in the near future. So is it better for us to use the small quantities we still have under the North sea or should we just buy it from Arabia or Russia?

Dave

I am not flying anywhere myself but trying to impose your views by threats and force is not on. We have a democracy so we are free to vote as we choose on this issue. The fact is that while we must reduce oil consumption, it will not stop completely in the near future. So is it better for us to use the small quantities we still have under the North sea or should we just buy it from Arabia or Russia?

Dave

Whilst we are in a democracy, we should be aware that we aren't anyways told the truth. People and organisations with lots of money can easily sway what we are told.

f0311599c33cf810ffc85cb921250017ad7f02e2_2_720x750.jpeg

Whilst we are in a democracy, we should be aware that we aren't anyways told the truth. People and organisations with lots of money can easily sway what we are told.
True but not in my case as I have never seen any views expressed on this and drew my own conclusion from the basic facts. i.e. further licences are to be issued; I do not want to be dependent on Russian or Arabian oil.

Dave

Dave

True but not in my case as I have never seen any views expressed on this and drew my own conclusion from the basic facts. i.e. further licences are to be issued; I do not want to be dependent on Russian or Arabian oil.

Dave
IIRC the oil that comes from the north sea is not suitable for refining into road fuels, so we sell on the open market to get revenue.

In other words, the fuel products in the UK are refined from imported oil.

If they do disrupt then we need serious punishment as a deterrent - 3 years inside!
I don't think that's very sensible.

Harness her and her mates to the front of a bus and they can pull it along its route, saving oil. I call that "doing the right thing by doing the right thing"... ;)

IIRC the oil that comes from the north sea is not suitable for refining into road fuels, so we sell on the open market to get revenue.

In other words, the fuel products in the UK are refined from imported oil.
Not entirely true, crude from the Forties pipeline arrives onshore in NE Scotland and then pumped down to the refinery at Grangemouth for processing. From the wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grangemouth_Refinery) the breakdown of products from the refinery is as follows:

Annual output share​

" supplying refined products to customers in Scotland, northern England and Northern Ireland, as well as occasionally further afield."

Not entirely true, crude from the Forties pipeline arrives onshore in NE Scotland and then pumped down to the refinery at Grangemouth for processing. From the wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grangemouth_Refinery) the breakdown of products from the refinery is as follows:

Annual output share​

" supplying refined products to customers in Scotland, northern England and Northern Ireland, as well as occasionally further afield."
Thanks for the clarification about some of the native UK oil production & refining (y)

According to friends that worked in the plant there could be a tanker of ‘something’ leaving roughly weekly that paid for the running of the plant. A lot of guys told me petrol and diesel were waste/by products of refining oil, the good stuff was very expensive and came in small amounts.
If protestors want to glue themselves to roads, tankers, windows or whatever, fine after a week they’ll be begging to be removed.

Before the pipeline was built a test section was buried near the colliery I worked to record the effects of mining operations so the route of the pipeline could be finalised, pipeline still there, pits long gone.

Last edited:
Back