Non UK Holiday Ideas

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Me and the wife are thinking about booking a holiday next year. We're looking at going for two weeks, and trying to compromise between a safari/landscape photography trip and somewhere culturally interesting to keep her happy. Anyone got any ideas? We thought of places like Thailand or India for the safari, but wanted a bit of advice from people who have already done this type of thing on where to stay and how to go about doing it.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I might add that we are looking at going around September time 2017, but are open to other times.

I have just come back from 2 weeks in Uganda with my girlfriend and it was simply breathtaking. The country itself is a serious canvas for photography before you get onto the people and wildlife. You have the chance of seeing some of the scarcer African wildlife such as Wild Mountain Gorillas and Chimpanzees along with the old favourites.

We self-drove and it was enormous fun though challenging in places as we are both the road less travelled type. We encountered no problems. (managed the whole trip without a bribe - a new record)

I'm self-censoring here as i could literally go on for pages. If you find yourself interested do send me a pm, i would be delighted to help.

Botswana is nice. I did Vic Falls (which has an excellent Victorian hotel and steam train excursion), Chobe National Park, canoed into the Okovango Delta, Blyde River Canyon, Kruger National Park, Johannesburg and a sleeper to Cape Town, all for about £450 plus flights.

The indian subcontinent has so much to offer. I think this would tick all the boxes that you list in your post. Two weeks would give you a good chance to experience life on the subcontinent, but I am pretty sure that you would want to go back for more.
I spent 6 months travelling in India and Nepal, and barely a day passes without me wanting to return to explore more!

Thanks guys. Some great ideas coming now. Keep 'em coming if you have any others. They're all going on my list!

I'm going away with the wife next year at Easter.
We're going for one week whale watching in Sri Lanka to try and see some blue whales (The wife is adamant she's going to see one)
Then we're off for a week in India, stopping off at the Taj Mahal before continuing on for a tiger safari.
By the time we get back you'll obviously have already booked up, but it may give you some ideas.

I'm going away with the wife next year at Easter.
We're going for one week whale watching in Sri Lanka to try and see some blue whales (The wife is adamant she's going to see one)
Then we're off for a week in India, stopping off at the Taj Mahal before continuing on for a tiger safari.
By the time we get back you'll obviously have already booked up, but it may give you some ideas.

Yes, would love you to hear your experiences. I think we're looking at going somewhere simple now like Iceland, with the aim to book a big holiday in 2018.

Alaska looks like an amazing place, wildlife and scenery, weather should be OK too in September

Namibia, fantastic scenery huge canyon second only to the grand Canyon in size, largest sand dunes in the world, seal colonies, superb animal safari in Entosha, ghost town, lovely people safe and you can self drive it all

We've been to India, Canadian Rockies, Thailand, Zimbabwe. Photographically that's the order I'd rate them, with India being the most interesting and Zimbabwe being mostly scruffy with the odd spectacular scene (we were there with local friends).

September could be pretty hot in some of the places given in this thread, so make sure you're up to it.

Last edited:
Back