Holiday Photos

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

Im going on a family holiday this weekend for 2 weeks and its the 1st time ill have taken a dslr. I usually take a camera but wasnt for seriuos photography.

Im taking a 16gb and 8gb cards with me and would like to shoot everything raw, the camera is a Canon 1100d (12.2 MP) and its pretty new to me.

Just wondering what people take when they go away, incase they run out of memory?? eg laptops n stuff?

I know more memory cards would be the answer but i cant sort that in time

Aim to make each shot count.. don't spend the entire holiday with the glass between you and the family.. and 24Gb should go a long, long way.

took my lap top last year but we go away this weekend also so got more cards i now have 3 4gb and 1 8gb knowing not even half will get used but i worry i will loose or one may stop working. Play.com had a decent deal on this last week may still be time to get some should you wish.

that is about 1.5k worth of pictures. i am sure That is more then enough. if not you can always save some online using drop box .

Unless you are really snap happy you shouldn't fill 24GB of cards in 2 weeks.

I don't like taking a laptop on holiday, so just take plenty of cards (I only have about 16GB worth).

Ok soi think I might be a bit snap happy lol. Because I'm new to the game I tend to take a lot of photos to experiment with my angles and positioning. Maybe this a chance to think more about what I'm shooting and to try get the image I want with less shots.

And remember the key phrase.. "famil holiday".. you may consider your camera a hobby, others may regard it as your mistress.. ;)

I guess your right, and know ones going to want to see hundreds of photos anyway.
Any tips on taking good photos?
I'm going to trying for candid/action shots mainly and the general landscape and area shots.

And maybe the water park, scares me thinking about taking the camera there but shots of the family splashing down the slides could look quite good I think.

First family holiday with a new DSLR.. if all else fails, drop it into the scene modes and let the camera do the thinking.. above all, don't let the camera get in the way of either the family or having a good time..

Enjoy the trip (y)

If you're really that snap happy then you might want to consider shooting jpeg. You could potentially have a hell of a lot of raw files to go through and unless you've really got your workflow mastered, that will take a lot of time. You may want to consider swapping to raw for any situations where you feel you might want to do some further post processing later on.

Some good points there then.
The main key to this holiday is me and the family having a good time and relaxing, 2nd is I want to come back with some nice photos (in jpg)
So maybe I was getting carried away before I've started.

Thanks for all your help and advice
You've really helped me out

Back