Beginner Holiday

carmot

Suspended / Banned
Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
When talking photo of sunset on the beach as it starts to get dark there are a few pelican's flly low through the shot is there any way I can catch them in the photo I've tried but there never in the picture the lens I've got with me are Nikon's 70 300 a 16 35
24 120 thanks

I've tried but there never in the picture
Hmm. Why not? How are you taking the picture? What camera settings are you using?

The reason you don't see them is probably that the SS is too slow,
being a consequence of other settings decisions. If you have set
your shot for maximum DoF for example. The bird is there for sure
but it stays to shortly at the same place in the sky to leave a real
trace of its presence in the frame.

A shorter SS means that ISO and aperture will have to contribute
to the success of your capture. Make sure that your shutter speed
is at least 1/60s adjusting ISO after selecting say ƒ8 or ƒ11; here,
Auto ISO is a good strategy.

Hi I am using a Nikon d750 I set the app to 8 to 14 on manual and the cameras metering system till its in the centre then snap

I see no problem with the gear but, like I said, with your settings!
The solution to go for is to make sure you can freeze the passing
bird. For this you will need both a fast enough SS and set the ISO
to AUTO ISO at your chosen ƒ stop.

there are a few pelican's flly low through the shot is there any way I can catch them in the photo I've tried but there never in the picture
OK John, I'm concentrating on this bit of your problem. It sounds like you expect the pelicans to be in the photo, but when you take the photo they're not there. Is that right?

The first thing that comes to mind is that you're simply not pointing the camera in the right direction when you take the photo. That might sound stupid, but bear with me. I'm imagining you having the camera pointed in a fixed direction - to photograph the sunset, for example - and then trying to time it so that the pelicans are in the frame when you press the button. Is that it? If so, it's probably just bad timing on your part. Try setting the camera to shoot continuously and take a sequence of half a dozen shots or more. Keep your other eye open so that you can see the pelicans approaching, start shooting before they cross in front of you, and keep shooting until you can see them the other side of you. Better to take too many shots than not enough, you can always delete the rubbish ones.

If I'm horribly wide of the mark, then I'm afraid you'll need to tell us a bit more about what you're trying to do. Help us to help you.

Thanks try putting the advice into practice tonight let you know how it goes

Birds move mighty quick, even slow ones

are you after then classic "birds against the sunset" image?

Yes billn_33 sorry I replayed late time difference and not very good wifi

Back