Holidays 2023

Travel to Koln on Weds - 99.9% sure I have all I need but just wanted to check in case I missed anything. Looks like there are no forms to fill out to Germany or back to UK, and all I need is my NHS covid pass over there?

Travel to Koln on Weds - 99.9% sure I have all I need but just wanted to check in case I missed anything. Looks like there are no forms to fill out to Germany or back to UK, and all I need is my NHS covid pass over there?

We'll be spending a lot more time in France over the next few years, getting the house sorted, learning the area & hopefully getting to know people.

Travel insurance for healthcare now we have left the EU.
EU health card still valid to expiry date or new Global Card.
Gives basic treatment either free or at cheap rate, but doesn't cover repatriation.

Hoping to get to a gig in Dusseldorf in November that has been postponed several times.
Been looking into renewing our annual travel insurance and all that needs covering.
Not been to Europe for the past two years and got plenty of Eurostar and Deutsche Bahn credit to use

Well that was an easy and enjoyable trip. I know Ryanair have their moaners but both flights took off a max 10 mins late and arrived on time. They were pretty strict on masks, even when people had them just on the mouth and not the nose. In Germany everyone wore a mask in shops, trains etc... in fact I don't recall seeing anyone who didn't. They checked passes in most of the venues I went in and often wanted to see ID to make sure it was actually yours. Drank lots of beer, ate lots of great German food and got some decent pics too - Photos thread

Note that while most outlets in Stansted were open, the terminal at Koln/Bonn I flew from had nothing open after passport control so if flying from a smaller airport be aware that could ne the case there.

Need to book another now!

Last edited:
Currently considering Thessaloniki for 5 nights in middle of June as the likes of Kerkini Lake and Axios Delta National Park, look amazing for bird photograph. Also May - July has the best chance of spotting those beautiful Bee-Eaters.

Currently considering Thessaloniki for 5 nights in middle of June as the likes of Kerkini Lake and Axios Delta National Park, look amazing for bird photograph. Also May - July has the best chance of spotting those beautiful Bee-Eaters.
You will have a fabulous time at Lake Kerkini, we have been 4 times now, not just for photography but exploring as well. You are right about the Bee-Eaters, mid June they are still in abundance, particularly on the Eastern side of the lake. We have been in January, May and June and it never disappoints.
If my broken ankle is fixed in time, we would like to go in June also.

You will have a fabulous time at Lake Kerkini, we have been 4 times now, not just for photography but exploring as well. You are right about the Bee-Eaters, mid June they are still in abundance, particularly on the Eastern side of the lake. We have been in January, May and June and it never disappoints.
If my broken ankle is fixed in time, we would like to go in June also.
That is fantastic to hear, it looks an amazing place. I have never been to Greece before, so wanted my first time to be something different from the typical destinations of Corfu / Athens etc. i was also looking at Crete, but it seems that the north of Greece would be better for that time of year, also transport from Thessaloniki is easily accessibl, which is essential as unfortunately I don’t drive. I hope your ankle heals soon.

So, holiday to Greece, due to leave yesterday and was a little worried after seeing the news on delays, cancellations etc… Day came and allowed a silly amount of time arrive around 3.5hrs before flight at Stansted. Parked and walked to terminal. Had only one check in case which were were ready to dump back at car if too bad, no need. Ryanair desk open for that flight then queued for a massive 10 mins at most. Then through security, i did buy fast track the day before and through that in less than 10 mins. So basically from locking car to airside was just 30 mins! Airport was busy as you would expect but not crazy, but have always liked Stansted

That is fantastic to hear, it looks an amazing place. I have never been to Greece before, so wanted my first time to be something different from the typical destinations of Corfu / Athens etc. i was also looking at Crete, but it seems that the north of Greece would be better for that time of year, also transport from Thessaloniki is easily accessibl, which is essential as unfortunately I don’t drive. I hope your ankle heals soon.

I'm now looking at that destination having read the above posts.

I was listening to the Five Live phone in yesterday..9-11am and callers were telling of their dreadful experiences re cancelled flights. One lady said that she and her family got to the airport ready to go and the whole Tui holiday was cancelled but she said the same holiday was still being advertised. The Travel industry is blaming the government's traffic light system re countries in relation to Covid and say it's been badly handled. It's had a knock-on effect.

I was listening to the Five Live phone in yesterday..9-11am and callers were telling of their dreadful experiences re cancelled flights. One lady said that she and her family got to the airport ready to go and the whole Tui holiday was cancelled but she said the same holiday was still being advertised. The Travel industry is blaming the government's traffic light system re countries in relation to Covid and say it's been badly handled. It's had a knock-on effect.
What traffic light system? I thought they got rid of that months ago?

Anyone been to South Korea? My step daughter is off there for two months. Just wondering the best way to pay for things. We don't really want to pack two months worth of cash. She has her UK debit card and an American express card. Can you get cash out easily enough there?

No need to take that much cash, although where even I travel, I do tend to take some, depending on how long I'm going for.
You can use Debit/credit cards to purchase items all over there, not all ATM machines take overseas cards, the ones that do are labelled global service and will have a Visa/Mastercard logo, you can also purchase a travel card over there, although I never bothered, one thing to check before going is the fee's your bank will charge for using it overseas, I've recently taken a bank account with Chase, who don't charge any fees for overseas use.

I booked flights to Australia for August just before Christmas for me and the wife hoping that OZ would open their borders, which they have. I paid the balance off yesterday and did a recheck on the current price for the same flights only to find that they have gone up by a massive 44% since I booked them.

I booked flights to Australia for August just before Christmas for me and the wife hoping that OZ would open their borders, which they have. I paid the balance off yesterday and did a recheck on the current price for the same flights only to find that they have gone up by a massive 44% since I booked them.

Just been looking for next February and not impressed!

Flew to Crete yesterday- took all of 15 minutes to check in AND go through security at Gatwick. Shortage of staff led to queues at food outlets but otherwise all good.

Hope you're having fun and that the weather's good.

We're off to there next Tuesday, staying near Chania - can't wait! Flying from our local airport so not expecting the problems some have encountered at others.

Booked Italy for October. Flying into Milan then getting trains around the country for 10 days. Surprised that the trains seem quite expensive. After Portugal last year where it was so cheap to travel around I was assuming it would be similar across the Eurozone. Anyway, still looking forward to it, been meaning to do Italy for a long time.

Had the motorhome 1 year and 1 day today and managed a dozen trips ranging from 2 days to 2 weeks. I have 4 more shifts next week and then on Saturday we're off to the Orkney Isles and back over 16 days :) Can't wait.

Had enough today, asked at mum's nursing home about some time away and they said go, so off to Madeira in 4 weeks Monday, wife is bouncing off the walls already. Local weekend car club p*** ups just don't cut it.

We're off to Albufeira/Portugal tomorrow

We liked it so much we went two years running to Olhas d'Agua. It's half-way,almost, between Albufeira and Faro. You can get the bus to Faro. Really cheap. Another stop near Faro is Vilamoura,quite a large place. https://www.algarve-tourist.com/vilamoura-algarve-portugal-guide.html

At the harbour/marina in Faro by the bus station..a grotty place..lol..walk out of the bus station going right a 100m to the marina and go towards the sea across the railway line out onto the 'pier' . We saw egrets there. Also, there's a large hotel,white,I think Hotel Faro at this location and nesting on the lampost tops infront. by the taxi ramp are nesting storks. Go into the hotel reception and veer left to the lifts and go to the roof restaurant/cafe and you can look down onto the stalks and get a great city/marina /estuary view.

We went out on a boat trip ..a small boat,just six passengers, from Faro across the 'mud flats/reeds re wildlife. I just can't recall the company. They have a kiosk on the front at the marina.

You'll have a great trip.

We liked it so much we went two years running to Olhas d'Agua. It's half-way,almost, between Albufeira and Faro. You can get the bus to Faro. Really cheap. Another stop near Faro is Vilamoura,quite a large place. https://www.algarve-tourist.com/vilamoura-algarve-portugal-guide.html

At the harbour/marina in Faro by the bus station..a grotty place..lol..walk out of the bus station going right a 100m to the marina and go towards the sea across the railway line out onto the 'pier' . We saw egrets there. Also, there's a large hotel,white,I think Hotel Faro at this location and nesting on the lampost tops infront. by the taxi ramp are nesting storks. Go into the hotel reception and veer left to the lifts and go to the roof restaurant/cafe and you can look down onto the stalks and get a great city/marina /estuary view.

We went out on a boat trip ..a small boat,just six passengers, from Faro across the 'mud flats/reeds re wildlife. I just can't recall the company. They have a kiosk on the front at the marina.

You'll have a great trip.

Nice one! Cheers :) will have to pull up this post when we're there (y)

Had enough today, asked at mum's nursing home about some time away and they said go, so off to Madeira in 4 weeks Monday, wife is bouncing off the walls already. Local weekend car club p*** ups just don't cut it.

Stayed at the Cliff Bay hotel. Funchal. Loved Madeira. Get the cable car ...far end of town..up to the top of the mountain..there are gardens there and wooden toboggans. Fantastic views of course. I hasten to add that we went up there by bus as those cable cars ... terrify me..I'm height averse..also we just watched the toboggans. They go from the top to the base of the mountain at speed steered by one of the men who run them. https://wanderersandwarriors.com/madeira-toboggan-ride/

Also, go on a whale/dolphin boat trip.

A must is to see the fish/fruit market. You can go on a walkway above it and look down onto all the stalls,people and scary fish which you've never seen before. The fruit stall holders do approach you with samples but 'that's abroad' isn't it.

Read this Tripadvisor re what to beware off re the fruit sellers....https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189167-d196084-r479502818-Mercado_dos_Lavradores-Funchal_Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html

Another great trip is to the Pico do Ariero observatory. We went with a lady running a 6 seater personel carrier. Booked down by the harbour, town centre end.

Tripadvisor. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU..._Arieiro-Funchal_Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html

We couldn't get our heads round the the bus ticket system so walked up the steep hill out of town to the Cliff Bay. A hard slog..lol. Further on,walking distance from the Cliff Bay,away from town is a lovely shops centre..can't recall what it's called.

I'm assuming you haven't been before...lol.

Hi John, we have been before and in fact we were due to fly out the morning the first lockdown came in, and had to stay home, huffed wife for a month, but, thanks for the post, didn’t know about the observatory so will look into that. Bus tickets! Something from the krypton factor, lucky taxis are cheap. Culdn’t get into her preferred hotel so back to one slightly further out of Funchal along from Reid’s, this may be in the area you mean.

Hope you're having fun and that the weather's good.

We're off to there next Tuesday, staying near Chania - can't wait! Flying from our local airport so not expecting the problems some have encountered at others.
So far so good- although wether is a little mixed. We are at the opposite end of the island near Heraklion. Greeks are great though and food and drink still very reasonable

Reactions: Nod
Hi John, we have been before and in fact we were due to fly out the morning the first lockdown came in, and had to stay home, huffed wife for a month, but, thanks for the post, didn’t know about the observatory so will look into that. Bus tickets! Something from the krypton factor, lucky taxis are cheap. Culdn’t get into her preferred hotel so back to one slightly further out of Funchal along from Reid’s, this may be in the area you mean.
Yes, that's it, Martin. Further along the road from Reid's Palace hotel. The back of the Reid's Palace is running alongside the footpath..no windows there and it's a soft rouge/pink colour. Carry on walking past it up the very steep road out of town, round a sharp right hand bend and the entrance to Reid's is there and after about a hundred metres the road levels off and you pass the Villa Cipriani (apartments ?) on the left and then 50m on and now the road is going downhill, is the Cliff Bay. The entrance has wrought iron gates and the drive down to reception is very steep. It's entrance is right by the Pizzaria restaurant and a zebra crossing. It's a fantastic hotel,probably the best we've stayed in. The first photo could have been taken from our balcony or an adjacent room, looking out to sea.

We also visited Santana where the quaint,thatched houses are https://madeira.best/product/santana-typical-houses

24 hours (well, a little less!) and we should be in Crete, hopefully having met the car hire chap and on the way West from Iraklio (Heraklion).

anyone been through Heathrow or Manchester recently? Just wondering what the queues are like, if any, for security? I'm going to Heathrow on Saturday to drop the step daughter off, then Manchester on Tues evening for me to go to the isle of man. Id normally give it the usual 2 hours prior thing but you read about horror stories on the news lately so any intel would be useful :)

Back