Home C41 process

Name
dave
Edit My Images
No
I've got a massive wedge of C41 5x4 to process and looking at the costing online for sending em away to process it would be cheaper by a long way to home process the films.
Looking at getting the tentinal kit and using the time and temp for 30deg as i think it would be far better in terms of keeping the temps under control and it gives me a bit of time to move as the development is longer. I know a lot of you do your own C41 processing so im just after hints and tips on the best way to process using a Mod 54 and Paterson tank .
Also read about using a rinse between stages to avoid contamination of the chems from the last stage does anybody do that and also using a pre soak to bring the tank upto temp before adding the developer
any advice on the best way to get the results would be greatfull
Also my thermometer its fine for doing black and white and has 30deg on it will this be accurate enough for the process ?

Good luck with going for C41 developing (y)
I can't answer for doing 5x4, but for my 35mm I do pre-soak and rinse between developing.... I use the same thermometer that I use for black and white developing, although, I do C41 at 38 degrees(I just count the correct lines to get the correct temperature)...and having tried it without a heater(and got good results), I do now use a water heater(results are the same)

I personally don't rinse between, but having seen my latest results, I think I will from the next batch of chems.

ive got back upto speed again with my black and white process now, so thinking this is my next learning curve to do. from what ive read and picked up the process is simple enough just got to keep a close eye on temp and agitation and its simple enough

Dave : if you RINSE between Dev and Bleach and you are processing the 'Chromogenic' Ilford XP2 Super be careful as I always get 'Reticulation' on the backing layer --I sent sample to Ilford and was told do NOT rinse between Dev and Bleach-- with Colour C41 I have done both ways including a 100oF ( 38oC) pre-soak and find that dilutes the dev a little so get slight under-development-- now I am trying a Rinse after Dev with quarter spoonful of Citric Acid ( I was GIVEN a lot !) in about 300mls 38oC water as a 'stop bath' followed by a few seconds 38oC water rinse before adding the Bleach and have not noticed any bad effects and hope the PH of the Bleach keeps better without having too much Alkalie Dev going in.

Back