Home Grown - A Project by Carl

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Made a litre of sloe gin, a litre of Apple vodka and a litre of Rakia with Apples (because we had the firewater sat around, undrinkable as is).

The SG had a little liquorice Sambuca added, and is amazing in tonic. A 1:1 mix of the vodka and Rakia is also drinkable now, and pretty good. :D

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Think you will struggle keeping healthy seedlings going if you sow that early. You're liable to end up with"leggy" and weak plants before they can go outside. Back of the seed packet sowing recommendations are usually good.
Well IIRC started the tomato seeding about march last year, but I think I used the wrong variety (Tamara) as it took ages for the tomatoes to grow...I'll try Ailsa Craig this year.

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot'13/14 <span class=poty>FPOTY'17</span>
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes

Andysnap

<span class="poty">POTY (Film) 2015</span>
Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
While we're talking about home-grown, some years ago we were given a LOT of victoria plums by a friend, and made both jam and wine with them. After 6 months the wine flavour embodied all that was unpleasant in plums.....

A couple of years later however it had become OK, if not spectacular - some was drunk, the rest forgotten. The jam was better suited to being used for the demolition of castle walls than slathering on toast, however I understand if it was chiselled from the jar then it tasted OK.

Fast forward a bit, over Christmas I cleared some of the old plum wine from the rack. Several bottles were very corked, but 3 were still sound. The nose was quite fragrant, somewhat like a nice German white with lots of green apple scents and the wine itself quite dry with a balanced acidity and fairly long (if a little unusual) finish. We also found a couple of jars of the jam lurking at the back of the larder. The date of preparation - 1996. I have a glass of 24 year old wine here, and it's actually not bad. :D

OP
OP
Carl Hall
Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
The real question is not "Where's Wally?" but where's Carl?
I was wearing a stripey jumper and bobble hat a few days ago, and someone commented that with my round glasses I looked like Wally. It's far from the worst name I've ever been called :D

Back to the garden, we're thinking of having a move about and moving the raised beds back to the other side of the garden. I also need to have a think about what I'll be growing this year, as I've recently found that I'm no longer able to eat decent sized quantities of foods like sweet corn, spinach or kale, so there's little point in growing them! I think last year I tried to grow too many different things, so this year I plan to grow fewer different types of vegetable but higher quantities of them.

I'm also planning on using both film and digital for my homegrown stuff now as I've got a new macro lens for the Fuji which costs me nothing to use, compared to buying and developing rolls of film weekly. Not sure whether to try and sneak some digital photos into this thread, try and get this thread moved to the project section, or start a new thread there. I'll still be using film for this, but not as much of it.

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot'13/14 <span class=poty>FPOTY'17</span>
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wearing a stripey jumper and bobble hat a few days ago, and someone commented that with my round glasses I looked like Wally. It's far from the worst name I've ever been called :D

Back to the garden, we're thinking of having a move about and moving the raised beds back to the other side of the garden. I also need to have a think about what I'll be growing this year, as I've recently found that I'm no longer able to eat decent sized quantities of foods like sweet corn, spinach or kale, so there's little point in growing them! I think last year I tried to grow too many different things, so this year I plan to grow fewer different types of vegetable but higher quantities of them.

I'm also planning on using both film and digital for my homegrown stuff now as I've got a new macro lens for the Fuji which costs me nothing to use, compared to buying and developing rolls of film weekly. Not sure whether to try and sneak some digital photos into this thread, try and get this thread moved to the project section, or start a new thread there. I'll still be using film for this, but not as much of it.
Just use a ‘film’ plug-in for your digital shots, well never notice ;)

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well my moan for the day:- I planted some raspberries last year and can't remember any warnings about under ground runners, they are popping up everywhere like convolvulus (bind weed). :eek:
Anyway now sowing tomatoes and peppers now in my home made heated propagator with mixed results as some are slow to germinate....or wont at all?.

Edit My Images
Yes
Well my moan for the day:- I planted some raspberries last year and can't remember any warnings about under ground runners, they are popping up everywhere like convolvulus (bind weed). :eek:
Summer friuting varieties are notorious for sending out roots and stems popping up yards away. Autumn fruiting varieties can do but less vigorously. I planted some sunny fruiting last year in a trench lined with v thick ground cover material to limit there spread but think I already spotted an "escapee".

Last edited:

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Summer friuting varieties are notorious for sending out roots and stems popping up yards away. Autumn fruiting varieties can do but less vigorously. I planted some sunny fruiting last year in a trench lined with v thick ground cover material to limit there spread but think I already spotted an "escapee".
Well all I can do is to continually chop the runners off :( Maybe it would be better to dig them up and bury them in a large container\containers hoping the runners don't come through the holes in the bottom.

Edit My Images
Yes
Well all I can do is to continually chop the runners off :( Maybe it would be better to dig them up and bury them in a large container\containers hoping the runners don't come through the holes in the bottom.
Look on the bright side, you won't be moaning when you're the only one in your area eating raspberries during the continuing lock-down this summer! They'd taste even better if you could only get some cream to put on them! :giggle:

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Look on the bright side, you won't be moaning when you're the only one in your area eating raspberries during the continuing lock-down this summer! They'd taste even better if you could only get some cream to put on them! :giggle:
:)

Anyway I'll take a photo as a warning not to grow raspberries in the same bed as other vegetables, :(