Home Grown - A Project by Carl

Edit My Images
Yes
Very dry in south Cheshire too, a drop of rain last night but only enough to dampen the dust and put about 6 inches of water in the (empty) rainwater barrel. Today's sun and forecast high winds will undo any good that did! There we were last December swimming in the stuff, and now hardly a drop to be had. Talk about freeze or fry. :(

Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like no rain up to 4th June in my area according to the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ub9
The same BBC Weather that, last night, said the 40+ MPH wind would hit south Cheshire from 2pm onwards... only for them to have changed that by 8.30am this morning to those winds starting from 10am!?

Nice work BBC weather, some people watching your weather app are trying to earn a living working outdoors and depend on such forecasts. If you don't know when something is going to happen then don't pretend you do! If things are uncertain then tell us the truth... eg "From dawn tomorrow morning onwards expect 40mph + winds at some time during the day". Or at least attach a predicted accuracy % indicator to the whole forecast, like you do for the chance of rain. Oh, and do keep that realistic if you wish to retain credibility.

Unless you are accurate with your hourly predictions, in my opinion, people will quite rightly lose faith and call 'fake weather forecast!" . If that level of predicted detail is repeatedly inaccurate, then it is going to be useless, isn't it?

Never mind, I suppose they could always ignore the above and just add the text 'For entertainment purposes only' to their forecasts? :whistle:

Last edited:

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
The same BBC Weather that, last night, said the 40+ MPH wind would hit south Cheshire from 2pm onwards... only for them to have changed that by 8.30am this morning to those winds starting from 10am!?

Nice work BBC weather, some people watching your weather app are trying to earn a living working outdoors and depend on such forecasts. If you don't know when something is going to happen the don't pretend you do! If things are uncertain then tell us the truth... eg "From dawn tomorrow morning onwards expect 40mph + winds at some time during the day". Or at least attach a predicted accuracy % indicator to the whole forecast, like you do for the chance of rain. Oh, and do keep that realistic if you wish to retain credibility.

Unless you are accurate with your hourly predictions, in my opinion, people will quite rightly lose faith and call 'fake weather forecast!" . If that level of predicted detail is repeatedly inaccurate, then it is going to be useless, isn't it?

Never mind, I suppose they could always ignore the above and just add the text 'For entertainment purposes only' to their forecasts? :whistle:
I also use this site and sometimes is spot on to the minute for the start of rain...erm well sometimes.

https://www.accuweather.com/

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a point about the BBC link:- I do find it useful for wind direction (bonfires) and visibility and for interest to us for scenery, that is it quite rare to get "excellent" and "very good" is still a bit hazy for long distance part of your scene... and to me it does ruin many scenic shots. But guys here who have travelled in mountainous areas and all over the world will probably say "that's the way it is in areas around the world, in that some places are clear for miles and others not".

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot - FPOTY
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I don’t want to upset the delicate sensibilities of the f&c massive and I dare say Carl is too polite to point this out but if you look at the title of this thread it’s “Home Grown - A Project by Carl” it’s not “Let’s talk about any old stuff that I’ve grown in my garden or post a random horticultural thought that pops into your head - A project by no one in particular”

I think it might be respectful to return the thread back to its owner and if anyone feels the need start up a “gardening on film” thread that everyone can get involved with then that’s probably a good idea.

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Now I don’t want to upset the delicate sensibilities of the f&c massive and I dare say Carl is too polite to point this out but if you look at the title of this thread it’s “Home Grown - A Project by Carl” it’s not “Let’s talk about any old stuff that I’ve grown in my garden or post a random horticultural thought that pops into your head - A project by no one in particular”

I think it might be respectful to return the thread back to its owner and if anyone feels the need start up a “gardening on film” thread that everyone can get involved with then that’s probably a good idea.
It's TF&C - the natural order of things is that entropy will result in all threads drifting off topic until they eventually get around to how @Andysnap got stranded on an island one time. :D

But, yeah, agree with the point you made. (y)

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot - FPOTY
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
It's TF&C - the natural order of things is that entropy will result in all threads drifting off topic until they eventually get around to how @Andysnap got stranded on an island one time. :D

But, yeah, agree with the point you made. (y)
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot - FPOTY
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot - FPOTY
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Though it’s a bit prescriptive; “post everything horticultural here” would mean Carl would have to abandon this thread to comply with your diktat ;) .maybe ” ... anything here”? :)
Good point, well made :D

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes

o_O Carl is to have this thread only for himself and not share with the great unwashed? This would mean every gardener here starting his\her own thread. :rolleyes: ..and don't think admin\mods would like it, but it looks like they don't mind just the one (Carl's) so far.

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot - FPOTY
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
o_O Carl is to have this thread only for himself and not share with the great unwashed? This would mean every gardener here starting his\her own thread. :rolleyes: ..and don't think admin\mods would like it, but it looks like they don't mind just the one (Carl's) so far.
Yes, if they want to. I think you can start as many threads as you want, I think starting a thread called “Grumpy southerners, photos and discussion” proves it.

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, if they want to. I think you can start as many threads as you want, I think starting a thread called “Grumpy southerners, photos and discussion” proves it.
Well yes but I meant all gardeners here starting their own thread only about gardening ;)..IMO it's best to keep it one thread as after all the site is talk photography.

RaglanSurf

Forum Idiot - FPOTY
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Well yes but I meant all gardeners here starting their own thread only about gardening ;)..IMO it's best to keep it one thread as after all the site is talk photography.
People start their own threads all the time Brian but I think it’s highly unlikely there will be frenzied crop of horticultural themed threads sprouting up all over the forum.