Home Studio Build

Ha ha. I haven't bothered posting pictures up as this is Talk Photography and not Talk Building. Lol. I'll put some up when it's being kitted out.
Lots of lessons learned. Quite a bit of money wasted ;-(
Can't wait to use it.
Dean.

What lessons have you learned Dino?

What lessons have you learned Dino?

Its mostly lessons about planning really.
I started to buy lots of bits for the studio before i had really got started because i thought my drawn plans were good. I then realised that half of what i bought, i wouldnt need. Didnt buy enough building materials, complete underestimation of how much id use. Time scale, that was well off, i thought a month, HA!!!! no way.
There are loads more, and i think i learn something new each time i do something.
Still, i'll plough on and finish it, then it will be play time:D

Dean

This is what I ended up with at the bottom of my garden (photo from a few years ago when just finished).
GR25a_0212.jpg

I still call it the 'Shed' as it is where I hide away and indulge my hobbies - Photography is the third use, the first being as a place to put my stereo which has a zero Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) it also has a ceiling mounted projector for me to watch movies. As a consequence it is very cramped and one of the main storage areas inside is in the loo (yes full plumbing and electricity) but it's a constant battle to keep it tidy when doing a little shoot. Last night it looked like this inside;
IMG_5017.jpg

The swinging of cat's isn't allowed;)

Paul

This is what I ended up with at the bottom of my garden (photo from a few years ago when just finished).
GR25a_0212.jpg

I still call it the 'Shed' as it is where I hide away and indulge my hobbies - Photography is the third use, the first being as a place to put my stereo which has a zero Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) it also has a ceiling mounted projector for me to watch movies. As a consequence it is very cramped and one of the main storage areas inside is in the loo (yes full plumbing and electricity) but it's a constant battle to keep it tidy when doing a little shoot. Last night it looked like this inside;
IMG_5017.jpg

The swinging of cat's isn't allowed;)

Paul

Even photographically minded I still skipped the shed and went straight onto ooooooooo i want that turn table :p audiophile much ?

very interesting, not sure if been covered as iv skim read, but how big is it?

Indeed, the size is 18x12. After insulating and plasterboarding, it is now a little smaller. I've stood in there with my camera to get an idea of what I can shoot size wise. I think the 24-70/2.8 will be the best lens in there. It covers pretty much the whole of the infinity curve from the shooting point.
Dean.

Hi Dino,

What support is there below the curve? I am planning to install a curve in my studio, but have visions of kiddies trying to walk up the curve and breaking it. Is that hardboard for the curve/floor, or something else?

Looking good, would love to see the resulting images. :)

Hi guys

Not many updates to report.
The curve is now finished. All painting done.
Just got to lay the laminate flooring down and kit it out.
So far, I'm really happy with what I've done.
Now all the tools have been moved out I am beginning to see a studio.
The curve is only made from hardboard, but the curved supports are 18" apart and the horizontal beams are 1' apart.
I guess a kid standing on it would be fine as I've trodden on it accidentally a few times and I'm a heavy guy.
I will add a few pictures to this thread soon of the progress.
When it's done I'll put a little video type thing up too.
Once again, thanks for following my little adventure.
Dean

Hi guys

Not many updates to report.
The curve is now finished. All painting done.
Just got to lay the laminate flooring down and kit it out.
So far, I'm really happy with what I've done.
Now all the tools have been moved out I am beginning to see a studio.
The curve is only made from hardboard, but the curved supports are 18" apart and the horizontal beams are 1' apart.
I guess a kid standing on it would be fine as I've trodden on it accidentally a few times and I'm a heavy guy.
I will add a few pictures to this thread soon of the progress.
When it's done I'll put a little video type thing up too.
Once again, thanks for following my little adventure.
Dean

Out of interest how much has it cost you upto now for your studio, I am really looking forward to your updates. I am wanting to sort mine out next year but i have to fill in a 16ft x 8ft xx 4ft pond first :-( i am thinking 20ftx12ft for my studio. So i might be asking for some advice if you dont mind.

Ok guys, here are a few pics of the build.

This shows the curve being painted.
18F40F35-9CC6-469E-9ECC-3E7D668E98C2-1220-000000E01D2B5B0D.jpg

Looking back towards the door end. You can see the black ceiling in the top. This is to stop reflections.
A39713C5-3658-4676-BA60-A8B6AB94B862-1220-000000E017BEBA56.jpg

Here you can see the full curve and floor being painted. It's 12ft wide, 6'6" at the edges and 8ftin the middle, and the floor is 10ft deep.
251CF491-C914-4817-B511-3C8BAA0923C7-1220-000000E0151DC367.jpg

Dean.

mission1968 said:
Out of interest how much has it cost you upto now for your studio, I am really looking forward to your updates. I am wanting to sort mine out next year but i have to fill in a 16ft x 8ft xx 4ft pond first :-( i am thinking 20ftx12ft for my studio. So i might be asking for some advice if you dont mind.

Hi Peter.
Any questions feel free to ask.
The complete building + everything to decorate, power etc is coming in at just under £3k.
Funny, mine was built onto my 12x10x4' koi pond. Got rid of it when the rug rats came along.

Dean.

Out of interest is your studio similar Dinos

No, mine is a 6m x 7m room in a large building. A bit low in the ceiling, but otherwise very useable. Only issue I have is a small pillar in the centre, but if I board out and put a curve on the 6m wall I can shoot around the pillar easily enough. :)

Cheers

No, mine is a 6m x 7m room in a large building. A bit low in the ceiling, but otherwise very useable. Only issue I have is a small pillar in the centre, but if I board out and put a curve on the 6m wall I can shoot around the pillar easily enough. :)

Cheers

Sounds great do you have any pics you could put. I would like to see, I cant wait until i start mine but i know its going to be hard work and stressful :puke:

Sounds great do you have any pics you could put. I would like to see, I cant wait until i start mine but i know its going to be hard work and stressful :puke:

I don't really have any behind the scenes. Will try to get some at some point, but want to get the wall/curve sorted really. At the moment it is a cheap backdrop (linen) and some sheets, with a piece of white vinyl floor covering on the floor. A bit rough and ready, but doing the job. Needs tidying though. :)

Today I got the flooring down. The wife's powerplate has to be put back into the house and the rest of the junk is studio stuff (booms, lighting etc) that has to be installed. A little bit of wallpapering in the corner behind where the photo was taken to do tomorrow. Then skirting.
Almost there............at last.
55C6DEC4-9D19-4DB9-966D-73EE33CA3B11-3382-0000031049F2363B.jpg

Dean.

Cheers, can't do anything today, need to pick up something from B&Q before carrying on :-(
Dean.

Hey guys, a quick update.

Had the decorators (the wife) in the studio today to paper the boudoir end of the studio.
880049C8-36F8-4251-8EAA-9EAE3C49E1BE-757-0000008C92114443.jpg

After she finished, I was able to get on with the manly stuff like dressing the windows etc.
A78ACC1C-3689-4CA1-931F-1B92227DA9F0-757-0000008C83F760AA.jpg

Just the skirting to go down now.
DA5CD1F1-B389-4498-8B26-19F30683AF92-757-0000008C87920D7E.jpg

Painted the mirror a bit, to take off the newness of it.
DAE23BE8-AD45-493C-B0FF-982554BDC188-757-0000008C8B16F16E.jpg

That's about it for this weekend.
A little more todo in the week then finito!!!!
Will update then.

Dean.

I have something very similar in a 5m x 5m cabin, no infinity curve though, thats very neat.

DSC_5275-M.jpg

DSC_5270-L.jpg

But - I fell foul of the 'purpose' bit - planning permission is not required for a building like that, you're quite right - UNLESS you are going to be using it for commercial gain, in which case it absolutely does come under planning permission. If its just for personal or 'hobby' use there's no issue at all, but if you're bringing paying customers then you may need to convince the council that there will be no disruption to neighbours etc and no issue with parking, and as a commercial premises normal HSE rules apply..

I have friendly neighbours and am very careful about numbers of people and timing etc

Every council varies in exact implementation, but the principle of commercial premises and planning is national. I heard of a chap a couple of years back who had to pull down his otherwise permission-free cabin as he was storing some of his plumbing business tools on one side of it, which meant it counted as commercial - I guess that was a particularly unfriendly planning officer!!

Here's a typical quote from a local authority site:
"Any shed or outbuilding must be for "a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse" which means that (for example) you cannot use it for business purposes in a manner which affects the amenities of surrounding residents or use it as a separate property to your main house without applying for planning permission."
http://www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/planning/permitted_development/sheds.htm

Personally, given the stage you're at, I wouldn't risk an unfriendly planning officer - I'd be discreet about it, and if a neighbour ever complains or planning turn up to say Hi, I'd work on the 'hasn't disrupted neighbours at all' bit!

It looks great, and all the best with it! :)

Ben

Dino that is looking great! You must be so chuffed. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

Ben, love the look of your studio too, this has been a great thread to follow.

I am still at the pondering stage, my husband is disabled therefore unable to do any of the work and I pretty useless when it comes to DIY so guess it would cost me a hell of a lot more:( none the less I can dream and keep following this thread. Great work guys!

Thanks, it's definitely getting there.

Ben, it's purely for pleasure, for the love of my hobby ;0)
Your studio looks great btw.

Dean.

Cheers Peter.

I could have paid for all my studio lights with the money the koi were worth :0)
It's a good project. It means ill have somewhere to play with all sorts of photography.
Dean.

Cheers Peter.

I could have paid for all my studio lights with the money the koi were worth :0)
It's a good project. It means ill have somewhere to play with all sorts of photography.
Dean.

Same here my koi where worth a bit, but my pond was Sabotaged and lost my whole stock but thats another story :-( ... like you i cant wait to get it built so i can relax and try different things out in the comfort of my own space

peter

Stunning thread, love it, so jealous.

I had the following 17ft x 13ft beast built 18 months ago, but sadly i'm having to use it as a proper 'shed', lawnmower, kids toys etc. Although have managed to sneak the dartboard in there. ;)

Shed_zps40e7ac64.jpg

I'm not the greatest DIYer in the world, so apart from me and a mate laying the concrete block foundations, the people that made/built it erected it for me. My neighbour is a sparky and he has now run the electrics up there and put an alarm in.

I couldn't recommend the guys that built it highly enough though; http://www.ab-timber-products.co.uk/

Built it exactly to my spec, size, where I wanted the doors, windows etc and its all nice and thick timber (especially compared to the likes of B&Q etc)

Might be an option for you guys who don't fancy doing that part of the build but fancy having a go at the interior. :)

Last edited:
this thread is giving me ideas :naughty: on saturday i shall be signing a tenancy agreement for our new place. it comes with a nice garden but also a double, perhaps even triple length brick garage at the end of the garden :D i wonder if the landlord will mind a temporary wall going up halfway down the garage.......:naughty:

Hi Guys,
I realised i hadn't updated this thread for ages.
The studio is now complete, and i have tested it all out with the help of my niece. Using the white curve, (which i dont really like) was fairly straightforward and results SOOC were quite pleasing, with minimal adjustments needed.
I have 2 main lights, both Lencarta EP300's (one fitted & one on its way) and a couple of cheaper lights on booms for the background or effect lights. These will eventually be replaced by a couple of Lencarta Smart Flashes.
I have a beauty dish + grid, a 100cm Softbox, 120x30 Gridded strip, snoot and a couple of other smaller softboxes and brollies.
Im really pleased with the whole build.
Here is a quick snap of the studio as seen from the "shooting" end.

shootingspace_zpse3a19b3a.jpg

Thanks to all those following this thread (y)
I'll post some pics from the studio on here soon.
Dean:)

The thread's been an excellent read with a good looking studio at the end, nice one!!!

what a awesome build. would love to have one in future when i have kids for some portraits etc.

Thanks guys, it's been a great learning curve, and hard work, but I'm very pleased with the results.
Time to have a bit of fun now.
Dean.

Back