Home Studio Build

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
After some advice on my studio build. I am fortunate enough to have my other half agree to converting our garage in to a studio. Now it not ideal size but it's what I have and it is what it is. It's 2.5m wide and 6m long. I have had the roof replace and heightened to an apex roof 2.8m at its highest point.
I have insulated plaster boarded it out now and it's being plastered next week but I am wondering on paint colours should I go all white?

Hi all,
After some advice on my studio build. I am fortunate enough to have my other half agree to converting our garage in to a studio. Now it not ideal size but it's what I have and it is what it is. It's 2.5m wide and 6m long. I have had the roof replace and heightened to an apex roof 2.8m at its highest point.
I have insulated plaster boarded it out now and it's being plastered next week but I am wondering on paint colours should I go all white?
Yes, if you're planning to be able to black them out too.

Ideally a studio space would be completely black so all your lighting is additive, but most people consider it oppressive and therefore uncomfortable.

Mid grey is a good compromise.

Thanks Phil,
I was concerned about reflected light mainly, I am going to do the back wall white and ceiling I had though about mid grey but also considered adding a black curtain which I could bring across on the walls to reduce the reflected light.

Until I start using I guess I don't know how it will be but at least I can paint a grey on top anyway

Particularly if you're using brollies in a small space, light bounces about everywhere, diminishing your control if you let it.

In my studio, given its size, I have chosen a mat 170/255 grey
for the walls and
floor, and mat white for the ceiling.

A profound knowledge and understanding of the inverse square
law will be, in any case, your best asset!

In my studio, given its size, I have chosen a mat 170/255 grey
for the walls and
floor, and mat white for the ceiling.

A profound knowledge and understanding of the inverse square
law will be, in any case, your best asset!
Hi Kodiak
Can you clarify what you mean by 170/255 grey please.

Can you clarify what you mean by 170/255 grey please.

Black = 0/255
White = 255/255

grey 33,3% =170/255… this was my compromise, as Phil referred to.

White ceilings would seem to make sense as a possible bounce source

proper job mate looks good you made any more decision on the final look?

Think I am going to paint it all white then if there is too much reflected light go for a mid grey. Also want it white so I can put a light from the ceiling to light the wall and also use it with a projector.
Got to get some background pole mounts and I have some vinyls.
Might then put some lighting beams from the side wall or just use normal stands not sure yet

wow sounds impressive keep the thread updated I guess the colour will be trial and error do you use any reflectors?

Hi Mike, yes the curtain idea is in mind I was at a photovision roadshow last year and that is something that Padraic Deasy spoke about and how he used it

Hi Nigel my studio is painted white with black ceiling, i use black curtain either side to control the light especially when doing low key work.Mine is 18ft x 12ft i struggle with the height but i just manage with what i got and what works. Take a look here at the work i mange to do in my home studio https://www.facebook.com/PeterAliPhotography

Peter
Hi peter very nice work in your studio

just done my studio all white and I found no problem yet but its still new have you got any finished images yet?

Looks a great space be good to see it once its all finished

Just a few final touches to be made. Quite please with it just want to get using it and playing with lighting setups

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454262001.405096.jpg

Looks great. Really jealous! I have to get everything out and pack it away again every time I want to use it.

Looks great. Really jealous! I have to get everything out and pack it away again every time I want to use it.

Thanks Tunbridge. It's been hard work and thanks to my Dad chipping in with a bit of labour when I was at work its taken a good couple of months at weekends

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1455478054.902221.jpgImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1455478075.950590.jpgImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1455478111.452726.jpg

Ok I am finally finished..... Hooray
I had a play with lights a week ago and the white Walls bounce too much light so I added the curtains to 1 wall to try.

Need to play with some lighting setups and got first session Booked on 5th March!!! Can't wait

Looks like you are having fun...

I'd put blackout curtains on both sides & also then look at what you are doing about backdrops..

I installed a rail system just to keep the floor space clear & to stop tripping over power leads..

Oh man! So jealous!!! Wish I had a garage to convert! Best I got is a 7' by 5' shed. No use to me, considering I have to keep all my tools and garden cr*p in there too. :(, Looks like it's 'convince the missus to move' time!

Defo get some mounts from ceiling for all lights keep wires off the floor - looks the business. Black walls would have been my choice! less expensive than curtains and much much easier to control light. Still its a great space to master the art of studio photography.

Inspired...to having my own permanent space(y)

Back