Homeless Holga: Formerly "Anyone fancy trying something daft ???"

Sorry guys helga the holga is still with me - I'm up to my neck in work and the weather is dogs*** so it'll be at least the weekend realistically before i can get her on her way , i'll post here to let you know when she's travveling

No problem Pete, I've got about 5 films in different cameras to get through yet.:LOL:

Andy

I fully expected things to slow down a little once we got outside the summer season tbh :)

it's summer again :D

:whistle: :tumbleweed:

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, nick

helga is all parcelled up and ready to go travelling , but this saturday will be my first day off in three weeks of working on average a 14 hour day, so I have had slightly more pressing matters than getting to a post office in office hours

do we have a smiley showing a tumble weed being shoved right up....

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, nick

Are you just saying that *** I'm short?

Busy is good, being self-employed and not busy is not a good combination.

Just a bit bored now the weather has turned and thought I'd poke the thread with a stick and see what would happen.

I've checked t'interweb and can't find any smiley/tumbleweed interface.

I look forward to seeing Helga when she finally arrives, TBY did say it would probably last until Christmas, I think he might be right :LOL:

About 3 months late for the first run I'm afraid Justin - we've potentially got a reserves/second tour list somewhere, with around half a dozen people on there though I'm not alltogether convinced that film and processing chemicals will still be available by the time that we get to a second run. So far we've been at this since the 30th june, and we've only seen results from one film! As there's 5 films in the box, by my calculations we're at least into the back end of 2012 before Helga the Holga will be back home and ready for a second round!

Well - I understand that Helga the Holga is back on the road again - Time to start checking for the Postman tomorrow I reckon Andy ;)

While I'm at it, have I sent you my address to send the second film back to me yet Andy?

Excellent news. No, I haven't got your address Mark, let me have it and I'll post it asap.

Cheers

Andy

okay - slight hitch , helga has come back to me , at first i though the post office had screwed up and delivered it to the return address, but then I noticed that it was marked not known at this address return to sender

hum and indeed ho

Andy could you pm me your address again as i'm guess i made a boo boo on the one i wrote on the parcel on the parcel

Still no sign of the elusive Helga. :shrug:

Andy

She went travelling two days ago andy - to the right address this time, so she ought to be with you shortly

excellent, hopefully I will have recovered from a serious bout of man flu by next week.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, How's the manflu going... and did my horrible cheap plastic camera get to you yet??

Should we expect your first frame to be "Self portrait with Kleenex and Lemsip"?

Enquiring minds need to know! :LOL:

Latest news is that man-flu has been upgraded to tonsilitis, however I'm fully recovered as I am a manly man and will battle through all hardships with a stoic calm.
I am on a training course at the moment so I don't know if Helga has arrived at 'Chez Grant' but I'm back tomorrow and will update then.

Cheers

Andy

Mmmm, Helga appears to have gone awol again. No sign of her here as yet.

Andy

Mmmm, Helga appears to have gone awol again. No sign of her here as yet.

Andy

Hmmm indeed

she definitely went to the right address this time , and she hasnt shown up back here

maybe she's gone on a scenic tour of the royal snail sorting system :shrug:

I did wonder how far around the loop she'd get before getting lost/stolen by someone...

Have to confess I did hope it'd get a little more than 1 film in :(

I did wonder how far around the loop she'd get before getting lost/stolen by someone...

Have to confess I did hope it'd get a little more than 1 film in :(

I can assure you that I haven't stolen your holga :crying: :eek: :(

as far as i'm concerned it was my responsibility to get her to andy so if she doesnt turn up their in a reasonable period i'll replace her with one off ebay and send that one RMSD

That said the post, particularly parcels, down here is somewhere between slothlike and not quite that fast (for example they only pick up parcels from the village post office twice a week) so it wouldnt suprise me if she's still enroute

Pete - calm down mate - I meant the lovely light fingered seasonal intake of post-office people... the camera's replaceable - it's just a bit of plastic after all - it's the film in the camera that's important - especially as it was only 2 frames from the end!

Pete - calm down mate - I meant the lovely light fingered seasonal intake of post-office people...

sorry mark - i'm having a bad week, ive got a few things going on that are making me short fused and irritable.

anyway like i said there's a good chance that its still enroute - my boss, who's based near plymouth, recently recieved a packet of CDs that I sent him about a month ago :shrug:

by that record andy should be getting a slightly early xmas present :LOL:

I'm just starting to feel a little bad for the people at the end of the list. Maybe if it turns up we should all try and get our turn completed and moved on within a fortnight??

I'm just starting to feel a little bad for the people at the end of the list. Maybe if it turns up we should all try and get our turn completed and moved on within a fortnight??

trouble with that is what do you do if you get three weeks of continual rain or something

if helga eventually makes it to andy's i'd say just keep going like we're going , it was going fine til i arsed up the first send by getting the address wrong, so i dont want to see everyone else put under pressure because i'm an idiot

oh - I don't want anyone to compromise their shooting, but if we can at least AIM for a 2 week turnaround, it would show a bit of consideration for the people down the chain...

I am eagerly awaiting Helga the Holga's arrival but I'm not fussed about the timescales - I'd rather people took their time getting the shot they want than be thinking I need to rush things and post it on.

We've had several days of heavy rain now and coupled with the earlier darker nights it won't be easy to rush things.

When it arrives it will be great - but until then I'm monitoring progress via the thread.

Great idea and lots of anticipation waiting for Holga to arrive.

Last edited:
I'll be shooting/changing/film/shooting/posting within the week I would imagine. I have some ideas about what to shoot already that aren't really weather dependant so should be a quick turnaround.(y)

Mind you these Eastern European females can be fickle, maybe she's 'gone over to the other side' whatever that means.....

Andy

I'll be shooting/changing/film/shooting/posting within the week I would imagine. I have some ideas about what to shoot already that aren't really weather dependant so should be a quick turnaround.(y)

Mind you these Eastern European females can be fickle, maybe she's 'gone over to the other side' whatever that means.....

Andy

Can a camera be androgynous? :D

All of my cameras are "she's" - film, digital, 35mm or medium format - everyone is affectionately referred to and cossetted as "she".................

Any sign of the camera turning up yet? Just wondering if we might be better just cutting our losses and giving up...

I have a Holga here and some film if its any good to you. I don't use it much at all so am willing to donate.

Mart

Nope, she is conspicouos by her absence I'm afraid.

Andy

Olga (possibly a sister of Helga) has been sat around my desk for a while.. bit of an unknown quantity, I managed to get hooked on older and more solidly built cameras before I put a roll through her. A 120GN I *think*, I'll need to dig her out.. factory fresh except that I painted a reminder for the aperture settings (she's a posh model with variable aperture that works). I spotted the 6x6 insert this morning, I'm sure she's not far from it.

Happy to put to the cause.. perhaps in conjunction with with Marvin's offer there could be two in circulation, one at the end of the list and one half-way up.

The only condition I would put is that Olga likes dressing up, so I wouldn't expect her to leave one user for the next without at least some form of minor embellishment or decoration.

Any sign of the camera turning up yet? Just wondering if we might be better just cutting our losses and giving up...

Sorry everyone - I've just re-read this post, and it sounds a little as if I'm just :dummy: moaning about having lost the camera. It wasn't really that at all, to be honest.

At the start of the project, I decided that I'd put my least used and simplest to use camera forward for this damned fool idea. I also dropped in a bunch of film and offered to do the processing and scanning of the film, all for the simple reason that I thought it was "a bit off" to ask people to pay contributions to the cause, for the dubious privelege of shooting a couple of frames with a plastic toy. Okay, a couple of quid for postage each was unavoidable, but that was intended to be the total financial outlay of anyone. All the rest, I was happy to stand.

Now things have gone pear-shaped, I guess I'd better come clean - my costs for this project were always going to include the cost of the camera! I didn't shoot anywhere enough with it to make it worthwhile keeping, so...

My fiendish plan was to get to the end of the shooting rota, and put all the individual shots up in a thread to be voted upon - the winning pictures owner would then get to be the New Owner of Helga the Holga...

So - i'm not miffed because my camera's lost and gone forever. From the point I came up with the travelling camera thread, emotionally, it was no longer mine anymore - it was OURS - and eventually one of YOURS.

What I am upset at is that this thread has gone pec's up so early, and that Bill, Scott and Graham have lost their shots, and paid for the priveledge. That's where I was going with the "cut our losses..." comment.

I think rather than go direct to Alastair and Mart's generous offers, we aught to let Pete take the necessary steps to get things back on track...

:thinking: And then of course there's the issue of re-shoots for the people who've lost their turn...

Oh - this is just a damned mess :shake:

Mark, its not a mess at all, just victim to the vagaries of the UK's fine postal system! I am sure we can get it back on track in no time and please don't blame yourself.

I think rather than go direct to Alastair and Mart's generous offers, we aught to let Pete take the necessary steps to get things back on track...

:thinking: And then of course there's the issue of re-shoots for the people who've lost their turn...

Just to say I completely agree with mark on that one - I was the last to see her so its my responsibility to get the show back on the road (i'm seriously psssed with devon royal mail - this is the third thing they've lost this year, and several others have been badly delayed, but i digress).

I've just ordered Helga 2 from ebay when it turns up I'll stick some film in it , take my four shots i'll also stick some of my spare rolls of 120 in the box, then send it to andy (RMSD this time).

WRT those who've lost their shots I'd suggest the best thing to do would be to add them onto the end of the circulation .

of course with my luck helga 1 will turn up at andy's shortly after helga 2 recommences travelling - if that happens i guess we could have two

Just to say I completely agree with mark on that one - I was the last to see her so its my responsibility to get the show back on the road (i'm seriously psssed with devon royal mail - this is the third thing they've lost this year, and several others have been badly delayed, but i digress).

I've just ordered Helga 2 from ebay when it turns up I'll stick some film in it , take my four shots i'll also stick some of my spare rolls of 120 in the box, then send it to andy (RMSD this time).

WRT those who've lost their shots I'd suggest the best thing to do would be to add them onto the end of the circulation .

of course with my luck helga 1 will turn up at andy's shortly after helga 2 recommences travelling - if that happens i guess we could have two

Good on you Pete! (y)

Can't say fairer than that Pete - I didn't really want the whole thing to fizzle out, but I could definitely understand if there were some people who didn't want to bother after how things were panning out.

You're probably right about the original turning up as well - it's the same principle as putting your handbrake on changes the traffic lights, or carrying an umbrella makes the sun shine all day...

Back