Homeless in London

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, an work colleague does a lot of charity work in London with the homeless and with a week off looming has coaxed me into spending his day off with me in the city. He used to do this for years as a proper job until he was a victim of government cutbacks. He knows most of the guys on the street personally and knowing I love photography told me he will show the side of the city that tourist don't see or prefer not to!
He said there will be areas that I would be advised to hide the camera from wandering hands. Looking forward to helping and doing some photography as well.
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to travel light, Nikon body and 35mm lens.

No advice as such - just ideas. Is there somewhere the homeless can view your photographs, for example at their hostel or where they go for food? I'm thinking it would be a nice touch to exhibit your results for them to enjoy, even if it's just really cheap prints in a box.

Could be a really interesting project.

If you can - easier said than done - ask if you can take their photograph and try and chat with them as well and ask if you can some with them chatting to their friends (so you take photos without them looking at the camera). They are humans and do appreciate a friendly chat as it's so lonely out there.

Thanks Edward, think you've raised some good ideas. Not sure how it's going to pan out by asking them for their picture but going to a crack at it. Thanks for your input and advice

Not sure how it's going to pan out by asking them for their picture but going to a crack at it.
I mentioned this more for your safety. I've not done street photography for quite sometime but do photograph strangers in different scenarios and it's just a case of asking someone (a group leader or whoever) if it's okay to take photographs. You soon find out if you should keep the camera to your side or not :)

I think it's more a case of just having some courage (Dutch courage in a hidden, personal hip flask? :D) and confidence in yourself. My guess (and experience in what I do) is the first few photographs are the most difficult and then you just can't help yourself after that. Good idea to travel light - and I'll be one who truly will be very interested in seeing the results.

Thanks again Edward, to be honest this is something I'm totally in the dark with. Done some street photography,asking strangers and this isn't a problem. But, and it is a big but, the homeless although still human can be dangerous, unpredictably and are desperate bunch, my friends words. I will have to tread carefully through I will learn loads about exactly my friend does to help these unfortunately souls out.
I'm really at his mercy to be honest

Interesting project but one not to be taken lightly I suspect ... safety first and all that :)

For me, this is as much about the trust of the OP as your own safety so with that in mind I'd be going in with your mate with the camera visible but only take photos if they were comfortable that you were trying to portray them in the right light

A Great project that I wish you luck with and just a thought but these people I would suspect would have very few, if any photos of themselves. For what a 6" x 4" costs it may be nice to get some prints done and leave them at the shelter at a later date if possible?

I think some very useful advice has already been provided. I wouldn't worry too much about personal safety, well no more than any sensible person does on the streets of London. But definitely interact with the people involved opposed to using them as photography subjects. In my opinion there is too much street photography that features 'easy target' homeless people It will be a challenge to do this tastefully and get a message across. Don't worry too much about knowing that upfront, I'm confident that the interaction will help define what the message is you want to portrait from this set. Enjoy!

Thanks again guys, really going into the dark regards of the work I'll be doing to help. My friend has worked on the streets for years knows these people personally and tells me they have all a story to tell.
Hoping that I can be introduced as a friendly face who really wants to help and understand why they are in the position they're in and sympathise and hopefully take some photos to get that message across.
On a side note I couldn't believe the amount of people when talking about helping said things like 'they should get a job' 'sponges and such like. It makes me sad

Try this....have a fresh cup of coffee lidded up and try sitting down beside them and talking to them. Offer them the coffee. Let conversation turn to photography. Ask their permission. But do not rush, this could take a while to be successful.

I have to say, I struggle with the idea of just going down there and effectively using these people if you're not going to give them something in return. These are people, not animals in a zoo. Yes, you can ask permission to take a photo of them but many may not be in a fit mental state to really give you that permission . If it was me, I'd leave the camera at home and go spend some time with them first, maybe do some work for them. By understanding the individuals and their situations you'll surely do your photography better service. It's not possible to create a commentary of something you know nothing about and if you just want some "interesting shots", well, you can do that with anyone and a few props.

I think this is possibly a great project, but I would have to ask myself "What's in it for them?"
Some of these homeless people will I'm sure have a story to tell, but is there any benefit in sharing that story with you?
They may be more interested in a hot mug of soup, and finding somewhere safe and dry and warm for the night.
I know you say you want to help, but persuading them that your pictures will help their plight won't be an easy task I suspect.
Good luck, stay safe, and I would be very interested to see the results of this project !

Appreciate all the comments. Im really first and foremost going to help and hoping to get some snaps if poss but not going out of my way to exploit these people and I stress the word people.

Just a quick update on my work with frontline homeless. After much consideration last time decided to leave the camera behind and take stock of the situation. I had a good day, meet loads of new people who all do a cracking job for no pay.
My friend now wants me to help with the soup run and promote his work through the website with some photos.
Feel a lot happier now knowing some of the faces on the streets and when to get my camera out and when to keep it hidden.
Hopefully I'll do the website justice and keep helping these people make a better life for those more misfortune than us

The website's a good idea. I've a soft spot for the homeless - wish there was a magic answer as the money is there but unfortunately so is the problem. I'm sure it's more complicated than it seems from the outside.

carry a few packets of cigarettes - helped me 'break the ice' in a few cases

Thanks Yardbent, actually not a bad idea, which would really help.

Good choice on leaving the camera behind I think. And from so far avoiding bribing people with a coffee or a ciggy in exchange for a pointless photograph.

Go out and do the work if you want to, then if you identify a need where photographs can help (as it appears you may have), great. You can come in with a plan and a reason to take photographs that are going to benefit people.

Hope you continue working with them, and something good comes of it, as it sounds like you're there for the right reasons. (y)

Back