HomePlug adapters

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
So....for the next chapter in my "living with poor quality internet".....my Sky box keeps losing the wifi. I know it's the box's fault because there's a high quality mesh system right next to it and everything else says there is awesome wifi in the house.

Years ago (over 10) I bought some TPLink Home plugs. At the moment I'm using them to get internet to my PC which doesn't have Wifi. If I buy a new TP Link will it be compatible with the old ones? I.e. can I just get this and use it as a receiver on the current HomePlug network? The ones I have are AV2000s. Looking at buying these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010P...id=1585547407&sprefix=tp+,aps,169&sr=8-4&th=1

or do I need an AV2000o that the network to my PC still works at full speed

Can you run a switch off the Mesh WiFi and if so does your Sky Box have an ethernet port? There might be a solution then to run everything hardwired to the switch that's in the area, I did this in my parents living room, everything that was possible to hard wire to a 8 port netgear switch and then I ran the switch to their BT WiFi Mesh Disc.

So....for the next chapter in my "living with poor quality internet".....my Sky box keeps losing the wifi. I know it's the box's fault because there's a high quality mesh system right next to it and everything else says there is awesome wifi in the house.

Years ago (over 10) I bought some TPLink Home plugs. At the moment I'm using them to get internet to my PC which doesn't have Wifi. If I buy a new TP Link will it be compatible with the old ones? I.e. can I just get this and use it as a receiver on the current HomePlug network? The ones I have are AV2000s. Looking at buying these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010P...id=1585547407&sprefix=tp+,aps,169&sr=8-4&th=1

or do I need an AV2000o that the network to my PC still works at full speed

The speed will reduce to the av600 ones, so best to get the av2000 ones to keep the pc connected at the same speed.

Can you run a switch off the Mesh WiFi and if so does your Sky Box have an ethernet port? There might be a solution then to run everything hardwired to the switch that's in the area, I did this in my parents living room, everything that was possible to hard wire to a 8 port netgear switch and then I ran the switch to their BT WiFi Mesh Disc.

I'm assuming there's an ethernet on the SkyQ - one of the setup options is "wired internet". Obviously I'll check before buying kit :D

However, I've just realised there's a socket on the back of my BT Mesh. Is that an "out"? I.e. if the mesh carries wifi round the house does it also pump out wired internet from the back? If so I think I have a plan.

The speed will reduce to the av600 ones, so best to get the av2000 ones to keep the pc connected at the same speed.

Thanks - does that mean the speed between the 2 quick ones will be slowed by having a slow one on the network? Or can they still talk to each other at full speed?

I'm assuming there's an ethernet on the SkyQ - one of the setup options is "wired internet". Obviously I'll check before buying kit :D

However, I've just realised there's a socket on the back of my BT Mesh. Is that an "out"? I.e. if the mesh carries wifi round the house does it also pump out wired internet from the back? If so I think I have a plan.

Thanks - does that mean the speed between the 2 quick ones will be slowed by having a slow one on the network? Or can they still talk to each other at full speed?
Yes it will slow it all done. I have been through the same process.

From what I remember of the Sky Q boxes (disclaimer: which may be a couple of years out of date) they create their own wireless networks to talk to each other not existing wireless. I'm not sure what channel they run at but if it's similar to the high quality mesh system you may find it's getting drowned out by the stronger signal. Obviously this is going to happen with a new box too if that's what's causing the issue.

The good news is that the Sky Q boxes do have ethernet connections so your solution with a cable should negate the issue! Albeit it was a bit of a faff trying to get it use the wire last time I did it.

Both 'old Sky' and Sky Q do have Ethernet ports in to use in place of WiFi - it's how I get Ethernet to my Sky Q main box.

However, as Andy mentioned, if you are not with Sky for broadband, Sky Q sets up it's own WiFi network in parallel which it uses to communicate with the Sky Q Mini boxes, and I found connecting them to the my main router via Ethernet did not work as it was the wrong network, so I have wired Ethernet to my main Sky Q to give it internet connectivity, and it then uses it's own WiFi to connect to the Sky Q mini boxes.
The mesh system and Sky Q WiFi networks should, in theory, be able to auto adjust channels to avoid conflicts.

Thks - when I said "SkyQ" - I do have the newest box but I don't have any other boxes. It sounds like they might have installed weird wifi - I'll give a cable a go.

It works "sometimes" but not reliably.

Its almost certainly an internal ip addressing issue. Happens a lot with tp type links, especially with sky q.
DHCP gets itself confused. Unplug all the tp links, reconnect the sky q to wifi then plug your tp links back in.
Ethernet on sky q is a world of pain.

I would have thought so but best to have a quick scan of the manual to ensure it's supported, less than £20 for an 8 Port Netgear Switch if it does.

The BT MESH is in or out. You should have the primary hardwired from your router to the Primary, the secondary Mesh can be an out - mine has my Philips Hue plugged into it

The BT MESH is in or out. You should have the primary hardwired from your router to the Primary, the secondary Mesh can be an out - mine has my Philips Hue plugged into it

Ah that would be perfect :) I'll find a cable and give it a go.

From memory I think you will need to go into Network settings on the Sky Q box to tell it to use wired, rather than wireless, but at least with wired you don't have the pain of entering a password via up / down for each character!

From memory I think you will need to go into Network settings on the Sky Q box to tell it to use wired, rather than wireless, but at least with wired you don't have the pain of entering a password via up / down for each character!
Just for info you can also do it from your remote. Keep tapping to scroll through 9wxyz for example.

Back